1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Tron , need some info

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by jhoward, May 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jhoward

jhoward Member

Tron is on vacation, not sure if he has internet access or not, so it might be a week or so before you get an answer.

2. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

A jump box is a 12v power supply most generally used to jump start a dead battery. Tron used it to magnetize his generator. Don't ask me how, I've never seen that one before. Joe is a pretty sharp cookie. I would say that is a pretty unusual problem and I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

For normal generator maint, running it for awhile every couple of months to exercise it with about 1/2 to 3/4 load should keep it in good condition. Full load for awhile if you can do it. My Father inlaws Onan manual says to run it for 2 hrs but I don't know if thats necessary.

Steve

3. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

I will try to get this correct. if you have a genertor that is not putting out any juice you need to 'enegize' it. Get a nine volt smoke alarm type of battery, a connector for the battery, a two prong male plug and a five amp 'buss' type fuse in a fuse holder. Assemble a battery lead with the fuse and its holder to one side of the two prong plug and the other battery lead to the other side of the plug. I cannot remember if it makes a difference which prong the positive lead goes to or if it really matters. With the generator running you plug into the 110 volt outlet on the generator and the fuse will blow almost intantly. What you are doing is 'exciting' the unit with the little blast of DC current. If you find a generator for sale cheap that does not put out any juice this is many times a sure fire way to make a killing. Many times someone will transport a generator some distance and the vibrations/shocks of the journey will cause the gerator not to make juice. Most genrator manuals have a diagram of what I just described. this technique was taught to us during a small engine/ generator class I took several year ago. In addition we were told to 'break in' our generators using something like a 1500 watt electric heater for about an hour of run time. Hope this helpls. Bill

4. squirrelkiller

squirrelkiller TS Member

Farmall generators need excited once in awhile. Similar process but on a smaller scale.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.