1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Tron and other 391 shooters - Valve cleaning

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dmarbell, Dec 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

I recently received a 391 target barrel in trade. Being overly excitable and not particularly maintenance-oriented, I started shooting the gun with this barrel after cursory inspection. After some number of rounds (upwards of a thousand) during which I cleaned the piston and mag cap and rod only, the gun started to have cycling issues.

Turns out the valve (part the piston goes into) might not have ever been cleaned. I have scraped and oiled, used a pick and finishing nail tapped with a hammer to clean the four holes in the valve, used a wire to clean the two holes going into the barrel.

There is still a nice layer of crud inside the valve. I can only see metal in a couple of places.

Is there a cleaner that will work in this residue without harming the metal? Is there a particular tool which works well on cleaning this area?

This is the original Urika model, BTW, not the Urika 2.

The barrel is fine, and is not damaged.

Danny

2. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Try slip 2000, they make a choke & gas valve cleaner--soak the gas valve in it & wash off with water, yes water & lube it well with a good grade of oil or CLP

Lou

3. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

Tape over the holes with duct tape and fill the cylider with Break Free. Do this outside, and keep it outside - that stuff is really nasty!

Let it soak overnight - you should be able to make the cylinder shiny and bright.

4. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

try PB Blaster spray it on and let it sit for about 20 minutes. the crud should wipe out. you can get Blaster at most hardware or home stores. motordoc

5. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Danny, as you know I shoot 303's and I really like the slip 2000 that 635G mentioned. Just let the piston soak in it overnite, make sure it is covered. It does not smell. You will still have to do a little scrubbing but it will really soften the crud. I bought mine at Recobs. I get it when I need supplies

6. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

Looks like its time for Tron to repost his gun cleaning procedure. I hope he is back soon. Last I saw he was in Florida for awhile.

Steve

7. Too Tall

Too Tall TS Member

cubancigar2000,

Danny is asking about the valve not the piston. Danny, incase you don't know, it's easier to clean the valve assembly if take it apart. Standard American Products www.standardamericanproducts.com makes a cleaning kit for it and you also can buy it from Ballistic Specialities and Gamaliel Shooting Supply.

Robert Houston

8. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Tron did a great step by step slide show on cleaning the 391, do a search. A short answer to your valve cleaning question, you will want to dissasemble it and do a good cleaning. This will require some 'softening' of the residue before you get into it so soak everything down with a good solvent (I use Hoppe's #9 just because?) and keep it soaked for a day or two. Be patient and try to perform this service annually so the problem isn't so extreme next time.

9. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

Thanks for the responses. I'll try to find Tron's thread. If anybody beats me to it, post it, please.

I have cleaned the valve, as above, with the springs completely taken apart. I need to do it again soon with some solvent to remove the residue. I'll get one or more of the above.

It is remarkable how the gun continued to function given the bad shape it was in. When I took it apart, the piston would not even slide on the post. I had to yank it off the post, and it was really clogged up. The holes on the front of the valve were completely closed off, although from what I understand, those holes are for shooting heavier loads? The holes from valve into the barrel itself cleaned fairly easily.

Danny

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.