1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Triple B

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by surfcitydude, Mar 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. surfcitydude

surfcitydude Member

Today at Triple B's in El Monte , CA we heard the price of rounds of trap and skeet are going up $.50 because they can't get the cheaper clay targets anymore due to some mysterious reason. The price went up less than a year ago on rounds and then they raised the price on members dues on January 1st this year. That's right, didn't raise the price on guest rounds at all, just on the members dues that support the place week after week. What a load of crap!

Now ready for the second part. We heard the are going to spend money to plant trees down the middle of the field (where the thousands of goffers live) because ATA is complaining that they don't like the backdrop when they shoot. The backdrop has been the same since I shot there as a kid, some 40 plus years ago. If the ATA doesn't like the backdrop, why don't they buy the trees and do the labor of planting them instead of Triple B's incurring the costs, and then passing it to the shooters. They reportedly said if this does't happen, they will go elsewhere. I say, let them go, there isn't another shooting park anyplace close except Prado in Corona, and it's a dump. Then they can pay the extra in gas driving all over town looking for their ideal "backdrop".

2. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Eclipse targets are going up in cost by 2.00 or 3.00 dollars a case.all clubs are faceing this.

3. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

I don't think that the ATA has requirements for back ground. You must mean the members that shoot registered ATA targets? If so do they number more than the other club members? If not they should pay for the placement of the trees.

IMHO

Jason

4. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

You say they raised the price on members and not guests. If you have a valid point rally the membership and demand a valid explanation. This is not a place where venting your indignation is going to do you and your fellow club members any good. Want to make a difference? Do it from within the club membership. Step up and take a board position and participate in volunteer activity's at the club. The membership is what makes the club. By the way, I visited Triple B and enjoyed it very much.

Robert

5. TPK

TPK TS Member

White flyer had a fire at one of there facilitirs producing pitch targets, in the next few months it will become very difficult to aquire those targets...

6. TPK

TPK TS Member

Facilities* alot of
    Clubs are imcreasing round prices because white flyer raised their price on birds up $2 per case! Clubs have to recuperate their cost somehow...

7. surfcitydude

surfcitydude Member

Target are retail$10/99 at Walmart or $12.99/135 at the sporting good store. That's under 10cents per target. 25 birds to the round is $2.50 per round, which they now charge $6.50 for members and $8.50 for guests. That seems like a pretty good lick in my book. But that's just me. Add to that the prices charged on ammo and gun rentals and food and now $200 /year for memberships and..and..and. I doubt they are hurting, they just want to feel even better.

8. Lew

Lew TS Member

This is their typical M/O. They have always liked to P**s of the ones who support them. The ATA probally didn't say to much as it has been an open area for ever, even when the range was the Pachmayer range. Bruce and Billy are in for their personal gain and really don' care about the shooters. My best guess it that someone in the county said some thing and they are pinning it on the ATA. And making the shooters pay for the trees.

9. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Triple B's is not a club, its a commercial for profit business the same as Redlands Shooting park. Both venues have what's called a club membership which amounts to paying an annual fee which will earn you lower per round costs than a none member. Both venues host club shoots for clubs that have no shooting facilities of their own. These paper (none facility clubs)work out use arrangements with the trap range owners to throw their shoots.

As far as raising prices are concerned, the so called membership fee is a way to increase margins up front. As long as the membership holder shoots a number of rounds fewer than the membership fee, life's good for the owner. If the volume out strips the amount of the fee, then the added margins are lost. Example: if the membership fee is $10.00 and I save a $1.00 off the none member price, it will take ten rounds to to overcome the membership fee. If I have more members than none members and they all shoot more rounds than the fee cost the added margin is lost. Remedy raise prices to make up for lower revenue; in business its always about profit which equates to survival.

Tripl B's has always had a reputation for crappy backgrounds on their trap fields with the cars buzzing down the freeway and the model planes dive bombing in the air. These distraction have pushed hard core trap shooters to other venues. If trees will bring them back, get to planting..........

Bruce and Billie have worked hard getting their sporting Clays course up to a very high standard and now have turned their attention to the trap fields, good for them.

It's common knowledge target manufacturers are fighting cost increases for pitch based targets caused by rising oil prices and are forced to raise prices loc step with rising material costs, no way out........

The target companies have been pushing their biodegradable targets as a way to stabilize cost increases but these targets have been met with resistance from a number of shooting venues. Target prices will dictate what material will be the standard going forward.

Surfer

10. DB Bill

DB Bill Active Member

Have you ever heard of Harry Truman's definition of "service".

He said it's what you get when you take your cow to the bull.

Join the club of those who have received "service" at Triple B.

11. BD457

BD457 Member

It always bugs me when I hear people complain about the price of something that they voluntarily use.

Businesses are in business solely to make a profit. To do that, they have to have a product that people want at a price that they are willing to spend. You doing your backyard math on their profit is comical. You have NO IDEA what their overhead or costs are do you? Your best bet is to vote with your dollars. If you think it's too much to spend, don't spend it there and make them aware of it. Your other option is to work a deal with the owner if you can. All owners are thinking purely of the bottom line. You can make deals with dentists, doctors, mechanic, plumber, etc. These days you can even call up your cable company and tell 'em you want a lower price and get it. I've done it.

Show them the value of your money and you as a customer. They might just say "Okay, we'll keep the price the same for you, but don't tell anyone else".

Mike

12. tomlieb

tomlieb Member

It seems reasonable to me that if the price of targets increase, our shoot fees have to increase. I would only hope that the owners are smart enough to keep up with it and continue to stay in business. No one wants to raise prices, even the owners, higher prices make customers upset and they generally hurt business for everyone. If the owner didn't raise the target prices when they face increasing cost they would go out of business. I for one have watched as every other range in the Los Angeles area went out of business. I am all for Triple B's making a profit because thats the only way I will have a shotgun range within a reasonable driving distance. I am a member there, I buy my lunch there, I try to support them in every way I can because they provide a facility that lets me enjoy my favorite sport.
    Tom

13. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Why don't they merely raise the fees for electricity charging the golf carts for the sporting clays shooters and leave the trapshooters alone? Trap attendance at Triple B's is already kinda low considering how much the facility could offer.

Also, trees? Heck, Bruce and Bille know about farming and trees. Maybe if some volunteers brought in and planted trees or Bruce and Bill could grow some and plant them at no cost we'd save some bucks with sweat via sweat equity?

Bruce and Billy are gracious and helpful, they sure have brought good food to Triple B's and are cordial and helpful and have improved the range overall in all aspects. I just figure we poor trapshooters can least afford the price increases and our sport is drying up while other shotgun sports appear to have better heeled members that can better absorb the cost increases.

"Yeah, let them skeeters pay for all that shi**T!!!"

14. dead on 4

Change-0
    Why would you let anyone subsidize your shooting, are you a democrat. Skeet shooters don't pay 20K for their guns, why would they when a good old 1100 will get R done, leaving thousands to spend on targets and shells while us trap guy's have to reload and hope someone covers our costs.............

Surfer

15. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Democrat? Heck I'm just cheap and selfish!!! Besides, I do hope that we are not subsidizing the golf cart guys by their not paying for electricity and the cost is absorbed by all who shoot at Triple B's. That is not Republican IMO.

Heck, that would be so....."Democratic"...

Yeah, true, I am cheap, but also in a mood to go fishing. Stir crazy.

16. dead on 4

I think that's why the sporting guy's pay by the target, not the round.. You better go wet a line, it's going take a long time for those trees to grow.

Surfer

17. DB Bill

DB Bill Active Member

"Bruce and Billy are gracious and helpful, they sure have brought
    good food to Triple B's and are cordial and helpful and have
    improved the range overall in all aspects."

My goodness! Gracious? Cordial? Helpful? If this is now true zombie's have taken over their bodies and minds.

Or else you've never been around when someone tried to turn in their ticket card to get a refund of their deposit or you've never had a request to shoot a round of skeet when no one else was waiting to shoot turned down even with 3 or 4 pullers standing around doing nothing, or had the trap machine throw 8 or 9 broken targets per round of 25 and have them question your honesty when you reported it, or at an ATA shoot give a couple of practice tickets instead the listed trophy or actually drive his cart to the far end of the trap line to actually pull the electical plugs out of their sockets in the middle of a round and tell the members of a long-time club they were through and to leave the range he didn't want their business.

That's the management team I know.

Anyone with an ounce of business sense and the will to suceed should be able to take a multi-sport shooting range in the middle of several million people (even in California) and make it work.

There was a day when the range was busy every day it was open with 2 or 3 trap fields and 3 or 4 skeet fields busy from 11 to 4 every day and then again at night after folks had eaten and people were lined up on Sat/Sun mornings to shoot ---- and you could still shoot 4 rounds in 2 hours because the staff kept things moving -- and make it work.

Maybe they have changed but if I ever to to the range again I'll have some garlic around my neck, some shells with silver shot and keep a sharp wooden stake in my shooting bag.

18. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

DB Bill,

I guess I've been lucky to have "missed" bad situations at Triple B's!

19. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

Not taking any shots at any certain person(s) here, but cutting down a shooting range in Southern California is for fools that don't realize the importance of keeping these places open. Anyone from the San Diego area is WELL aware of the incredible pain we have endured since 2008 when the Marines decided they wanted their property back and shut down our only ATA certified range. Now all we have left (within a 2 hour drive each way) is Redlands and Triple B.

No matter what they are doing to keep the doors open (by charging more or by handing out practice shoot tickets instead of trophies), it is STILL BETTER THAN HAVING NO RANGE AT ALL!

Wake up guys! Our sport is in trouble in So. Cal. You better enjoy it while you can, because threads like this getting published DO NOTHING to help us promote our sport and keep us shooting.

Kevin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

triple b clays which day less busy