1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trigger Pull Weight for Hunting Rifle

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by timb99, Dec 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

What is a good number to use for trigger pull weight for a hunting rifle?

2. XP100

XP100 Well-Known Member

I think it depends on the temperature where you are hunting. I would not have liked a 2&1/2 or 3 lb. trigger here in upstate NY the last few days. If your fingers are very cold you can't feel the trigger. Probably about 5# would be good. Just my opinion.

3. BigJohn270

BigJohn270 Member

I set mine at about 3-3.5 lbs. I can take a heavy trigger if it is crisp (no creep) better than I can a light trigger that is not smooth and has creep.

4. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I'm okay in the cold with a 3.5-pound pull and that's how I set all my big-game rifle triggers. For varmint rifles, I like something around two pounds - any lighter and I just don't feel "100% in control."

I have a Model 700VLS in 6mm REM that I bought from a guy who had it glass-bedded and the trigger worked on before he took it home, which is when his wife went ballistic on him for buying it. I saved his marraige, he says, but that damned trigger releases at the slightest touch and I just don't like them that light. My son does, so I let him shoot that rifle when we go hunting.

Ed

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

People can adapt to about any weight of pull within reason. To find your best most accurate pull weight takes time. By that I mean shooting your hunting rifle using the same conditions encountered in the field for all seasons. Off-hand, a rest or shooting stix, prone and sitting. Summer shooting with those positions won't give you the information needed for accurate winter conditions because of warm gloves and heavy clothing. Regardless of pull weight, a bad pull trigger is bad medicine with both rifles and shotguns! I favor a rifle trigger at 44 to 52 ounce pulls for hunting rifles. Too light and they won't allow me to "look" the shot into the target, same thing with one that's too heavy. One with creep and slop will never allow a shooter to learn how to hit with any consistency and that's not fair to our game. Finding what's best for you takes time and shooting under the same conditions you'll be using the rifle. That goes for both rifles and shotguns. JMHO

Hap

6. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

Years ago I was reading how everyone was setting their triggers at 2 lbs.. I took my model 70 30-06 to the gun smith and had him set mine for 2 pounds.. he told me..you dont want 2 pounds.. yes I do I told him.. he set it and I went hunting the next morning.. shortly here came 2 does.. I picked up my rifle swung around started to shoulder the gun and BLAM.. shot straight into the air.. I bolted another round BLAM shot out across the field.. the deer were running by now, I bolted another round and kept my finger off the trigger until they were in the crosshairs.. blam.. got one.. I took the gun back that morning and had it moved back up to 5-6 pounds..lol..

7. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

if rifle is going to be fired from offhand position 3- 3.5 lbs crisp is what I prefer, even with gloves on. If rifle is going to be benched or on a tripod, you can go lighter, but control will be lost in colder conditions.

8. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

9. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Would we have trigger work done to our target shotguns and enter a competitive event without even a practice round? Why anyone would do it on live game animals is way beyond me!

Hap

10. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Hap makes a good point about practicing with your equipment how ever you set it up.

For rifles and pistols, I like them to break in the 2 - 3 Lb range but the important thing is that they break cleanly and consistently. Even a 5 pound trigger is okay if it is clean.

So Tim, are you setting up a rifle for some hunting in Africa?

11. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Greg

No. I have a Mosin Nagant that I've sporterized. I've been using it for years for deer hunting. It has a TERRIBLE trigger, but I've learned to be successful with it despite that. Timney now sells an aftermarket trigger assembly for that rifle that gets good reports. They offer it with different trigger pull weights, from 1/2 lb to 4 lb.

I've never had a "nice" gun with a good trigger, so I really don't know what one is supposed to be weighted at. I know bench rest trigger weights are pretty light, and too light for hunting.

Thinking of getting one while I'm over here and having it sent to my buddy who is storing my guns, and installing it when I get back home.

Just trying to get some feedback.

I'll probably borrow or rent a gun for hunting over here.

12. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

I just got a new rifle built....and it came from the smith set at a HALF pound.

It's a helluva lotta fun on the bench rest, but it will never work for hunting...its a timmney, so I just have to tighten it up. No big deal - it will take 2 minutes.

What's been REALLY FUNNY is handing it (unloaded, obviously) to guys and telling them "its really light - go ahead and dry fire it" and they all say "no way its too light, it will be perfect to hunt with" and then they fire it and to a man, they've said its way too light.

I plan to go to 2 lbs.

TimB...make sure you get a duiker...I fell in love with the small stuff over there.

13. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Jeff,

A friend of mine got a waterbuck a month or so ago. Cool animal.

14. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Same as my shotguns.. and pistols.. 3 pounds

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
best trigger pull for hunting

best trigger pull for hunting rifle

best trigger weight for hunting

hunting rifle trigger pull weight

rifle trigger pull weight

trigger pull for hunting rifle