1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

trigger pull question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by kene, Jul 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kene

kene TS Member

What is a typical force to pull a trap gun trigger? My BT-99 is consistently at a bit over 3lb -- others I have measured are in the 4lb area.

If I decide to have the trigger worked on who is a good "trigger man"? I am very sensitive to who works on that area of my gun as I have had bad experience in the past with slam fire.

thanks for your thoughts

kene

2. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

A trigger pull of 3 1/2 lbs. should be about the MINIMUM for a trap gun. The armorers and smiths I've worked with won't set a shotgun trigger lower than that.

Unless it creeps before breaking or feels like it's full of sand, leave it alone. It's a shotgun...not a match rifle!

MK

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

If you want a match rifle(shotgun) get a release!!

4. kene

kene TS Member

agree with the statements that 3 1/2 lb or so is minimum for trap gun -- that is why I am thinking about having it INCREASED as I am consistently measuring between 3 1/4 and 3 3/8 lb. So far the gun has worked OK but I get the feeling that it is firing just a bit too soon when getting to the bird as don't consciously pull the trigger.

Have done my share of target rifle shooting and do not want a trigger like that on my trap gun and am not interested [yet] in a release.

thanks for your comments -- anyone else want to chime in??

kene

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I only use good pull triggers and also release triggers. My P TM-1s pull trigger was 22 ounces when I bought it 30 some years ago and it still measures 22 ounces. Never have I had a "slam" fire happen in all these years! I also have a release for it that releases at 28 ounces which is what BigM-Perazzi makes reference to above.

Any double sear trigger assembly must have sufficient engagement to prevent the first charge from causing the sears on the second to release also. That's why most smiths won't work on light trigger sear pulls on O/Us. Single barrels are a different matter and may be fine tuned, IF, the smith knows what he's doing.

Hap

6. kene

kene TS Member

So if I read you [Hap] right you don't think that I need to do anything to the trigger ... just need to be a little softer/slower on the slap/touch when getting to the bird

ken

7. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Stay away from the trigger till your ready to shoot! Your eyes will tell you when that time comes.

Hap

8. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Modifying the trigger so it is harder to pull is just like hanging a weight on the barrel so the you don't jump at targets.

If you think the gun is "firing a bit too soon", it's ridiculous to blame the trigger.

Your brain is telling your finger to pull the trigger whether you like it or not so you're responsible for the firing. My guess is that you're watching the back of the target instead of the front. Makes much more sense work on target acquisition and to learn the necessary trigger/gun control!

MK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

model 12 trap trigger pull too light

what is a good overall trigger pull for a trap gun