1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trigger Pull Gauge

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dr.Longshot, Jan 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Every competetive trapshooter should have a trigger pull gauge to check his trigger to be sure it has not changed on him or her, always position the gauge the same way as different angles will sometimes change the pull and set weights.

I had a friend that started missing targets and could not understand why, he was shooting a Ljutic, I checked the trigger pull and it had gone from 3 1/2 lbs as set at the factory to over 6 lbs, the trigger pin had broken, I had spares for my Ljutic and I replaced it and the trigger pull came back to 3 1/2lbs.

All the pins in the Ljutic trigger assy are the same size, I personally feel the hammer pin should be larger in size it has more stress on it.

I have seen Ljutic trigger pins bent an wall as broken, my suggestion is replace them yearly, they are not expensive.

I am not picking on Ljutic as there are other guns w.same problems.

A trigger pull gauge is a necessity for competetive shooting in any sport.

Invest in one, Brownells sell them for about $38.95 Made by RCBS Part # is
    747-873-070AA 7D31C08 Premium Trigger Pull gauge.
    They have a cheaper model by RCBS for $23.95 #747-094-500AA 7D19C15
    Digital model by Lyman is$62.50 #539-000-05AA 9C46P88 This model will record and save up to 10 readings. And display average reading.
    There are digital ones as well and are more expensive.

Phone # for Brownells 1-800-741-0015

I like the mechanical one for testing my release trigger, as when you pull it back slowly until the trigger sets, there is a piece that stays there on the gauge and slowly give it slack until the hammer releases and note both readings, do this several times and note them in a small pad and keep it in your guncase for future reference.

Check your trigger often before each shoot.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

2. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Gary:

Please excuse a couple of naive questions...

I'm guessing the procedure for testing a trigger's pull setting is the same whether its a pull or release trigger. However, I've always been a little confused as to how one checks the release setting.

Is it as simple as pulling on the gauge until the trigger sets - then watching the gauge indicator as tension is slowly released until the hammer snaps?

Will all of the gauges you mentioned in your note work on release triggers or do releases require something different?

sissy

3. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

The RCBS Premium has a sliding pointer and it stays in place at the set or release point, and you watch the scale as you slowly decrease tension as you described.

Sissy you got it right on!! Thats the way it works for a release.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.