1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trigger pull gage?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Avaldes, Nov 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

Is there a particular brand of trigger pull gage that is really excellent? What kind of gages to match rifle shooters use?

I am thinking about picking up a trigger pull gage and I want one that I can use for the rest of my life. I shoot trap as well as pistols and the occasional rifle. I appreciate all comments.

2. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

I have the one from RCBS, called a Premium Trigger Pull Scale. It wasn't that expensive, but seems to give consistant readings. It depends also on where you hook the scale on the trigger. I have only used it on my shotguns. Mark

3. crusha

crusha TS Member

The one above is pretty good. I have it, and it fits my needs. They have some nice electronic ones now, but they're expensive and unless you're a super-obsessed benchrest rifle shooter, they probably aren't worth it.

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I got this one. They are cheap and the wire link is bent just right to get a straight pull. Works fine for me and I use a very light pull on my Pdog rifles.

25 bucks at Cheaper Than Dirt. the electronic ones go for around 50 or so. I would try one if I was bored.

HM

5. Perazzi_MX8

Perazzi_MX8 Well-Known Member

The nicest and most accurate I have found is the, Lyman Trigger Pull Gage Electronic Digital 0 to 12 lb. You can buy it from Midway for about $53.00. It will measure in pounds or grams with the push of a button. I thoroughly tested mine at the grocery store on their electronic produce scales at the checkout. I picked up plastic bags with various amounts and compare the readings and it was spot on. I was old-school for many years using weights as I was taught in Gunsmithing school but this one is much more accurate and simpler to use. It fits in my range bag and is about the size of my extra Perazzi trigger group in it's supplied zippered pouch. You can draw a crowd at a shoot by taking it out at the trap range just like my chronograph does at the rifle range. I always take 10 readings and get the average and check consistency of the pull in a horizontal firing position. That is something you can't do with a weight set as it relies on gravity with an upright position of the gun. It works on all guns, single and double action revolvers, Glocks, Sig Sauer, etc. and even benchrest rifles.

Duane

6. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

I use a digital fishing scale and a bent welding rod.

7. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

"Lyman Trigger Pull Gauge Electronic Digital 0 to 12 lb"

+1 on this device. Takes all of the guesswork out of it.

Bob Falfa

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.