1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

TRIGGER PROBLEM OR HAVE I STARTED TO FLINCH???

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by senior smoke, Jul 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

HELLO:
    i recently purchased a new remington 870 tb made in the 1970's. i shot 2 practice rounds with it today and I either flinched about 5 times, big time, or the trigger is not letting off smoothly? i had another veteran shooter place a snap cap in the gun, and he said the trigger has no creep, and the trigger pull was about 4 lbs. he watched me shoot, and said he thinks i am flinching. my other gun is a browning bps trap, have never flinched with it. i started shooting in 1970, and suddenly i start flinching???? i took the gun to a gunsmith out at the state shoot today at waukesha, he said the trigger pull is 4 lbs. he haD A DIGIITAL TRIGGER PULL GAUGE. HE SAID THE TRIGGER pull IS ONE OF THE BETTER ONES THAT HE HAS SEEN ON THIS MODEL. my normal lop on this model shotgun is 14". the gun 's lop is 14 3/8. i am wondering maybe if the lop is to long, that i might not have my full trigger finger on the trigger like i normally would, and this is causing me to flinch. sometimes when i would pull the trigger, it would not go off on time, and i jerked my swing and the the gun went off. most of the time i had no problem. what do you think? is there something wrong with the trigger, or am i starting to flinch, or is it due to the stock being to long? any help would be appreciated. when i took the trigger out of the gun, it seems to work fine. this is a new gun, never previously fired, made in the 70's.
    steve balistreri

2. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Maybe anticipation of recoil from an "unknown" gun? I recently allowed a fellow shooter to try my SKB 85TSS (with a great trigger BTW) and he flinched as though someone slapped the barrel! This was with 7/8oz loads as well! Maybe trying a different gun put him out of his comfort zone?

3. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

more to do with new gun issue, how about your trigger finger hands grip. Is this area different? are you shooting lefty with a RH safty? I know there are a lot of guns out there that just do not fit my trigger hand well.

4. senior smoke

both good possible causes for me to consider. my son in law has an extra trigger. i will place that trigger in my gun. if i still continue to have problems, then i know i am flinching. if i don't have a problem, than i am sure it's the trigger. i plan to have him shoot my trigger and see if he has any problems with it too.
    steve

5. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

ROFLMAO. It ain't the trigger.

6. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Steve,

It might be a combination of a different trigger and a different LOP that is causing the problem. Maybe the trigger you are used to using is quite different from the trigger on your new gun.

7. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

There's no way 3/8" difference in lop alone is going to make you flinch. Look elsewhere for the cause.

Eric

8. butcher

butcher Member

Let the target clear the barrel. Stay connected to the gun. Shoot the target. And follow through. Bet it works.

9. senior smoke

i just came back from shooting. missed 8 targets, 6 due to flinching and 2 i just missed. i tried my old gun, had no flinches. had my son inlaw try my gun, he had no flinches. I AM STUMPED!!! i looked at the firing pin and spring, no problem. i tried my son in laws trigger in my gun, had 2 flinches in 25 targets. i used a rem 870 trap from 1970 until 2006, had 3 flinches during that time period. the only thing i can think of, is the bps trap and 870 must be so different. i had a gunsmith at the state shoot tell me my bps trigger is set at 3 lbs. the 870 is at 4 lbs. could 1 lb make such a differnce?
    steve balistreri

10. Harold

Harold TS Member

If you have a 4 lb. trigger and you only pull it with a force of 3 lb., guess what. It won't go off.

11. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

I'll give you $50 for that piece of crap gun....then your problem will be solved!

12. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Try pulling the trigger with your index finger. I'll betcha it'll go off everytime!!

13. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

"This is just my opinion and has little value, but I think crummy triggers and barrels that don't shoot where they should, have driven many people to release triggers."

While your valuation is correct, your evaluation is not. A lot of shooters have replaced a lot of the best pull triggers made with release triggers. Further, a lot of shooters scores have gone up significantly after switching to a release while retaining the same crummy barrel.

14. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Nope, I just sayin' that I doubt a crummy barrel or sloppy triggers cause a flinch that is cured by a release. If a gun had a crummy barrel, you would continue to miss after putting in a release. Also, a lot of shooters have develpoed a flinch shooting the best triggers made.

15. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Could be the shooter.

Don

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

trigger problem or flinch