1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trigger Lubricant

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Chango2, Jan 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Question: I just cleaned and lubed a Ljutic trigger. Took trigger group out, washed off old remaining dirt. Trigger was a bit dry and inconsistent. Used mineral spirits to clean. Added STOS at the sear area. Trigger much better....BUT, I bet there is something better, something that will last longer than STOS and not run and get gummy from heat...msut be an "ideal" trigger lube, but I don't know what that is. I just to a "WAG" this time...a wild a#$ guess.

Advice appreciated: What is really slippery, stays there, and doesn't get gummy due to oxidation/heat.

Thanks in advance,

David

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Keep lubricant away from the sear where it engages the hammer, unless you would like to have an accidental discharge. Rem oil is a good trigger lube. HMB

3. turbobike

turbobike Member

Get "engine assembly lube" at any autoparts store. Comes in a tooth-paste style tube. Stays put. won't run, and has a "moly" based lubricant in it. Cheap too.
    and "hmb" if a quality lubricant makes a trigger go-off by itself, it has more issues than improper lubing.

4. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

I think it is worthless to put light oil on the trigger and sear engagement surfaces. It won't stay there. I use a grease from Brownells called Action Lube Plus. Other companies sell trigger grease that looks like the same thing. It all looks like molybdenum disulfide grease. It is black, nasty, slick and stays where you put it.

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Turbo, I guess you have been shooting shotgun triggers that have a lot of creep. It's only a problem when you have a trigger that has minimal sear engagement, you know a trigger that has a nice clean break with no creep. HMB

6. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

One reason I asked is that Jimmy Ljutic told me that his late brother Joe would put oil on his (Ljutic) trigger after about each event. That sounds to me, a bit crude or impractical...so I'm looking for an elegant and effective solution.

7. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Gunslick grease. It is grey in color so it must have moly in it. I have used it on sear/hammer surfaces on all my shotguns and pistols for 40 years.

Grease on the sear surface WILL NOT cause an accidental discharge!

Grease will prevent wear and smooth out the travel.

Jim Skeel

8. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

STOS, CMD, Kolar Grease, Kreighoff Grease, and Permatex White Lithium Grease
    are all excellent trigger lube, and dirt sticks to them so wipe and relube as often as needed, I prefer the White Lithium Grease on my triggers.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

9. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Do not use grease. I't holds contaminants. Use a good grade of gun oil.

10. K-80BUD

K-80BUD TS Member

Nanolube. One time is all you ever need. You have to grind it out of the metal to get rid of it. Bud Wood

11. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

I personally do not use grease on triggers. I spray with solven to clean, blow with compressed air, spray with good gun oil (Rem Oil is fine), blow off with compressed air.

Kolar does not use grease anywhere on their triggers to my knowledge. Krieghoff uses just a touch in a spot or two, but we all know that grease has migrated long before we take the gun in for another annual.

I use grease on external bearing surfaces...where barrel, fore end iron, and receiver have mating surfaces...because I clean the grease off when I break the gun down after every day of shooting. Not sure I'd want much grease in a trigger assembly collecting dust and dirt.

12. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I do the same as Baron23. I do mine about every other month. It only takes 10 - 15 min. well worth the time and effort.

Bill

13. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

There has to be a tremendous amount of PSI on the trigger and sear engagement surfaces. Grease and oil will be pushed away. If Joe Ljutic oiled his trigger after every event as alleged, he realized that.

K-80BUD mentioned Nanolube that penetrates the pores of the metal. I have never heard of that grease but that is what the black grease from Brownells claims. It will continue to lube after the grease is wiped away. That is why we have special grease for triggers.

14. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Most shotgun triggers have a lot of creep and over travel. Grease them up and lube them till hell freezes over. You are only masking the problem, it ain't going away until you have the sear engagement surfaces squared up and polished. Rifle and pistol marksmen know what I'm talking about. When it comes to shotgun trggers for the most part, you are talking about the stoneage. HMB

15. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Got a little bottle of lube with my Precision trigger. Very good stuff. I use it on all my triggers now. In between an oil and a grease. Might be 90 weight but works great.

16. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

hmb, I don't know about most but some certainly have creep. Even with the sear and hammer engagement surfaces square and polished to a mirror finish on some, there will still be creep because of excessive engagement surface. Browning, for instance, states in the BT99 field maintenance manual that the hammer and sear should return to the original position if slight pressure is applied to the trigger and then released. That is built-in creep. They can be "fixed" with the proper tools and knowledge.

Does anyone really believe that dust and dirt bounces off of oil but not grease?

17. elinvar

elinvar Member

Use JMT Lube " Ljutic Lube" - It's the grease that Jimmy and Mike at Ljutic use on all new triggers when they leave the factory.
    If you want a free sample let me know
    Terry Jones
    217-433-9885
    tgunvault@mediacombb.net

18. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

"Does anyone really believe that dust and dirt bounces off of oil but not grease?"

No, but when oil is sprayed on and blown off with compressed air, I'm pretty sure it won't turn into lapping compound the way grease will when mixed with target dust.

However, to each their own.

19. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I don't use ant grease on my triggers. I use Break Free CLP or Tri-flow. Both work good and don't hold a lot of dirt.

20. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I telephoned corporate advice departments of both Shell Oil and Mobil/Exon. Both techs. did not have a clue and were rather reluctant to answer since it involved a firearm and potential liability!

So...what else, non-firearm, works like a trigger and sear? Then I can call and ask again!

Or any chemical/petroleum engineer out there to answer what is likely a simple question: What lubricant is chemically inert, won't form acids, is not hydroscopic, won't oxidize, will make two metal surfaces very slick, will penetrate the pores of hard metal surfaces, and stay "there" under a wide temperature range? Inquiring minds want to know; I'm OCD enough to be curious what is in the mouse oil or mouse grease.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
best lubricant for trigger assembly
best lubricant for trigger sear

best lubrication for trigger sear

best slick lubricant for gun triggers
how to lube trigger area on a rifle
trigger lube grease gun

trigger lubricant

trigger lubricants