1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

trigger length adjustment?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by smsnyder, May 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

i notice that there is alot of discussed about length of pull. How about triggers that adjust length of pull. What is your opnion on this and how does it effect shooting. do you prefer i trigger that is all the way out or all the way back? thanks

2. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Whatever's comfortable for you.

Actually, I've always thought it's not right to measure LOP from the face of the trigger tho' I know that's how it's done. Seems to me it would be more proper to measure LOP from the rear of the trigger guard.

John C. Saubak

3. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

If you have unusual hands, the trigger face to pad is not always a consistent measurement. I have a baby finger that took 35+ stitches to close up. The spread between the baby finger to the ring finger is much smaller because of this. Most standard pistol grips are about the same distance that I have measured. I have micros and other short LOP guns but the pistol to the trigger face is about the same. This is what keeps me from buying a PFS. I have a Beretta 3901 youth version and it has a smaller dimension from the trigger to the pistol grip. I have a model 12 with custom stock and this dimension is reduced also. Some larger palm swells and .45 double stack mags, can cause a grip problem. I guess I could invest in a Wenig, but have not convinced myself of the need yet. I figure other parts will need surgery before the hand does. IMHO

4. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

The conventional measurement of LOP from the trigger to the center of the butt is the best way to measure LOP but it has shortcomings.

Adjustable trigger positions should not be considered in LOP measurement but no standard has been set and may never be. Trigger adjustment should be an adjustment relative only to the grip and not the LOP but of course, it doesn't work out that way. The center position of the trigger for LOP measurement might be a way to start.

To muddy the waters even further, grip styles differ in that their radii differ. Some are larger than others and affect the position of the hand and thumb, which is often used as a means of determining the correct LOP via its distance from the nose.

Hand placements on grips also differ. Smaller hands are often slid up and forward on the grip to allow reaching the trigger. This creates other problems but to fire the gun, the trigger has to be pulled so it is one of very few options available to allow the gun to be fired.

LOP measurement is useful only in the comparison of one gun to another. It is only then that the absence of an accurate comparison becomes important. When dealing with only one gun, with the number of things that affect the correct LOP, it is like the pitch measurement. What it measures in not important. The importance lies only in how well it fits.

Comparing LOPs on two guns, one of which is unseen, can be a crap shoot and cannot be done without risk.

Rollin

5. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

Rollin<br>
    You da man! Nicely said. I also go with fit over straight measurements, but then again, I had the advantage of reading YOUR book.

6. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Seems to me the important measurment is from the butt to where the trigger hand grips the gun. The only place I can think of that's always in more or less the same place in relation to the trigger hand is the rear of the trigger guard.

There's different sizes, shapes & styles of pistol grips and some guns don't even >have< a pistol grip (straight grip). Some triggers are close to the rear of the trigger guard, some more in the middle of the guard, some adjustable fore & aft and some guns even have >two< triggers.

To get my new Beretta 687 to feel "right" to me for LOP required half an inch more from the face of the trigger to the butt than the same measurment on my Ruger "trap". OTOH, the length between the butt and rear of the trigger guard comes out almost identicle.

John C. Saubak

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.