1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trigger Finger

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by FNG, Sep 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FNG

FNG Member

A couple times in the past few months, when I call for the bird and pull the trigger it seems that the pressure required to fire the gun is much less than normal. I've had a gunsmith check out the gun and he couldn't find anything wrong. I've started paying close attention to what I'm doing with my trigger finger as I mount the gun and call for the bird. As I mount the gun my finger is inside the trigger guard at the forward edge. Just before I call for the bird I move my finger back to lightly touch the trigger; just so I know exactly where it is. Then I call for the bird and fire. I guess it's possible that I've put too much pressure on the trigger sometime before I'm ready to fire, but I was curious what others are doing with their trigger finger through the sequence.
    Thanks for your thoughts.

2. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

FNG in the military stands for........ Something about a "particular type" of New Guy. I won't go into further detail. Is that the basis for your handle FNG?

You bring up a subject that could lead to trouble. I'd recommend you forget about thinking about the trigger and keep your head on targets. Be very careful my friend!

Guy Babin

3. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Do you use the pad on the tip of your finger or the crease of the 1st joint????? The pad will cause that for some people as there is a lot of give there. Ross P.

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

It is possible that you have an inconsistant trigger. What make gun do up have? - Just because a gunsmith didn't notice a problem doesn't mean that there isn't something mechanical going on.

The other possibilites are 1-it is an imagined event. 2- your trigger finger meets the trigger from a variety of angles and moments.

5. Uncle Screech

Uncle Screech Member

This happened to me a little while ago. The trigger assembly was dirty, had some burnt powder flakes, dust, etc. that had accumulated while I was at the Ohio State shoot. I would barely touch the trigger and every once in awhile it would go off. I do not put my finger inside the trigger guard until after the gun is mounted and I'm ready to call for the bird so the shot just went downrange. I wrote it off the first time as an "accident" but the second time I stopped and put everything away until I could get home and do a thorough cleaning. Removed the stock and soaked the receiver in a mineral spirit bath for an hour, air compressor to blow dry, soak again for another hour or so and blow dry again. A little light lubrication, reassemble and the problem has not returned.

6. FNG

FNG Member

To answer your questions:
    -"FNG" stands for exactly what you think it does, and my first fleet squadron
    in the USN is where I got it

-I do use the pad at the tip of my finger

-My gun is a K-80 and a gunsmith gave it a thorough cleaning and lube job. It
    has done it once since then

Thanks for the responses

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You can use a scale to check the weight of your trigger. See if it is the same for each shot. HMB

8. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Don't use the pad. Per the greatest PISTOL shooter of all time, you use the thin gap between the pads. No compression...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.