1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trigger Finger Position

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by gunner x, Jun 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gunner x

gunner x TS Member

If you are shooting a pull trigger, what is the proper position and or placement
    for the index finger. And, should one "Slap the Trigger" and why.
    What are the advantages and disadvantages.

Thanks for Sharing,

Gunnerx

2. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Pad on Index Finger on trigger, and I slap it.

Proably not the best way, but I've only been on the 27 since 1975 or 76, so I still have time to learn the correct method.

WW

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Only bad triggers need to be slapped. The general rule of thumb is for a light trigger the tip of the finger is used. The heavier the trigger the closer to the first joint is preferred. HMB

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I keep my trigger finger on the forward edge of the guard until I call pull. I don't think I slap the trigger but then again I really don't think about pulling it either. The whole sequence just happens when things look right. For me it seems like the more I think about and prepare to make a shot the less likely it is that I will make it. Some people are just the opposite.

The finger on the trigger guard is probably a carry over from action pistol shooting its not something I developed shooting shotguns. The method is plenty fast though and works equally well in the field.

5. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

First joint. If you eye is on the target, you won't know when to pull the trigger, it's automatic.

6. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

First the placement start's with the grip of the gun. The hand must be in a natural and comfortable position to start with. If the gun has an adj lop trigger set it back to just in front of the first joint. This should give you the most control. Don't think abour pulling the trigger or you will slow down your swing just let it happen.
    Joe

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

I had to mount my gun to answer where my trigger finger rested on the trigger. I have always just let my finger go where it naturally wanted to go. It turns out that my finger ends up where Joe suggested it should be (Just beyond the first joint).

The last sentence in Joe's post is very important. He said "Don't think about pulling the trigger or you will slow down your swing just let it happen". If you just look at the target and let the gun shoot itself, shooting becomes much easier and more targets break.

Pat Ireland

8. textrap

textrap TS Member

A friend of mine asked me why I kept my trigger finger fully extended and resting on the top/front of the trigger guard before I called for a target. I was not aware that I did that but got to thinking about it and started missing targets. I think you should do what works without thinking. I have decided that I do that because I grew up hunting with a model 12 winchester and that is where the safety is. My Dad was strict about clicking the safety off while bringing the gun to your shoulder and putting it back on safety when lowering it. Billy

9. 682b

682b Member

My trigger finger was dislocated while leading a hound to his pen. I only had one finger under his collar and when another dog startled him he rolled to the right and when he could go no farther he went to the left. The end result was that he dislocated it once to the right and then back to the left. OUCH+. Well consequently I must use the tip on my finger on the right edge of the trigger otherwise I have trigger panic. Yes, that is when your finger doesn't do what it is told to do (BIG FLINCH).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.