1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

trigger experts/POI

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by tcr1146, Feb 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

Okay boys and girls, I took your advice and bought a real (digital electronic) trigger guage that seems to be real accurate- at least for what I needed! Now my question is: If a gun is set up for 3 pounds and 8 oz of pull where will the point of impact be vs the same gun that is changed to 5 pounds and 8 oz?! Needless to say, I am talking about shooting targets and not paper! Also, for the sharper angles, which trigger setting will require a larger appearing lead? I might have gone too deep but maybe copper can help me!? Thanks, Tom Rhoads

2. Gregg535

Gregg535 Member

My guess would be that the difference in required leads would be "very small to non-existent" by making the 2 pound pull adjustment you mention. If you shoot the 3 pound trigger exclusively for 6 months, then the first few shots with a 5 pound trigger will feel really bad. My Perazzi is about 3 pounds but I have a Model 12 trap and a Broadway Superposed that each have about 5 pound triggers. They don't get much use, but after a few shots with either to get used to the extra pull weight, they seem fine and I don't notice any change needed in leads.

But how far a release trigger moves forward before letting go and the lock speed of it will make a big difference though, mostly because of how far momentum continues to carry your gun after you decide to fire. My shooting partner and I both shoot MX-10RS guns----I shoot a pull trigger and he uses the Precision release. Every so often I will snap his trigger into my gun and shoot a round of singles and I will shoot the back ends off of just about every target that has any angle to it (and that is shooting with my own actual gun - with the trigger being the only difference).

On the other hand, there is another fellow I occasionally shoot with who shoots an old Rem 1100 and he had that trigger converted to release years ago. That trigger is worn and is total junk compared to that new Precision and it has a bunch of forward movement before it fires, but I can shoot a round of singles with that gun and smoke a high percentage of targets and it feels just as comfortable to me as shooting a pull trigger. I don't have to make any adjustments in my shooting style at all with that gun; just shoot it.

Probably if I shot the Precision for a month it would be just great, but I am just using it as an example to make the point about momentum, as evidently that slow firing 1100 trigger allows about as much extra gun movement when firing as I use when pulling a trigger. But again, I have never noticed a difference like that just by going from a 3 pound pull trigger to a 5 pound pull trigger.

3. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Tom I thought we already had this little talk ? YOUR THINGING AGAIN STOP IT .

4. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

With the lighter release weight you will shoot sooner on the target.

But lets go further here. A very good release sets around 56 ounces and releases at 28 ounces.

The release point should be half of the set ounces.

When i first got my Kolar release back from the factory it was extremely fast I had to send it back and have it redone I had originally said i wanted 56 oz set and 56 oz release.

It came back 78 oz set 55 oz release and that is fast for me, both triggers settings when I got them there was no creep, The first trigger I was shooting under and behind the targets.

Now when I got my first Seitz w/release it was set at 56 oz and 28 oz I had to get used to the fast lock time, it is faster than the Kolar. In my opinion of shooting a release for 40 years the Seitz gun has the best trigger over Perazzi, Kreighoff, Kolar, have not shot a Bowen but it should be like the Seitz.

The lock time is un-equaled, the Infinity and Alferman are a close second.

A long time ago I shot an 1100 and an 870 with Schwab releases they had a lot of creep before let off, due to the style of the hooking machanism.

I stand behind my opinion of the Seitz release and pull triggers, they do not change once set and locked in.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Is lock time start when the hammer is released and stop when the firing pin hits the primer? HMB

6. CharlesR1100

CharlesR1100 TS Member

You did not tell us, 7 1/2 or 8s? Just a wild guess, but the poi probably will be governed by where the barrel was pointing when the shot rolled out.