1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

trigger design thought

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 635 G, May 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I have always thought why does the face of a release trigger have to be square to the barrel. I' m a right handed shooter. I kinda think if the trigger itself was angled slightly to the right & the face of the trigger had verticle grooves it would eliminate the possible of short shooting, whenever your trigger finger slips off of the trigger. Just reverse the angle for a lefty.

Ok gurus have at it.

Phil Berkowitz

2. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

Why does your finger slide off the trigger? Is your hand too short for your gun? Could you move your trigger back? Your hand forward? Try a Browning with adjustable trigger lengths, sizes, and angles if you are having slippage problems. It seems to me that your problem lies in your setting of the trigger. If you were to try setting it more firmly, with your finger further ahead on the face of the trigger, you might not have slippage.

3. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I saw a person with a Ljutic do it to his gun it made so much sense to me, I just wonder why the custom gun makers don't pay more attention to finger to trigger contact area & the difference between a pull & release contact area.

Phil Berkowitz

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

There are already angled triggers. Right, Left and straight. My Browning BT 100 had changable trigger blades.

5. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Well-Known Member

The Ithaca single barrels had the trigger angled based on whether the customer was right handed or left. That started after Ithaca started making sbt guns around the turn of the century. So it's not a new thing.

6. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Thanx guys-since I'm just 68 years old, I'm just a pup in this sport. Guess the older guys thought about it all.

Phil Berkowitz

7. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Browning and Beretta offer this, and I've seen @ least one kolar that had had this done.

8. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

This reminded me of what Jeff Copper once said (referring to a different matter at the time): "An interesting solution to a problem doesn't exist."

Are we suppose to use the pad of the finger to pull the trigger? Unless the trigger finger is too short or the grip of the stock is too big, I don't see any reason it won't be perpendicular to the trigger bar.

If that's the case, why we need angled trigger bar? Just my thought. :)

9. 1brucem

1brucem TS Member

Steve, Phil is talking about a release. Guns, triggers and stocks are designed to place the pad of the trigger finger on the the trigger shoe. This is not what most release shooters want. They want the trigger shoe to be in the first crease of the trigger finger for consistent releases. Any improvement in the relationship of the trigger shoe to the finger would be a welcome improvement. Bruce

10. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

I like the big button on the Ljutic Selka release trigger. It did not look like a trigger at all.

11. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

I don't know where you're from either but here in North Carolina all the release shooters want the crease from the first joint contacting the trigger.
    Of course, if you like the excitement of your gun going off unexpectedly, I can see doing it the other way.

12. 1brucem

1brucem TS Member

Three yellow dog, I'm from Utah, which is in the United States, which I guess where you live is not. I also expect that you don't shoot a release competitively. I don't know any competitive release shooters who want what is what is wanted where you live. The reason is simple. The pad is fleshy and acts like a time delay from the time you start to let till its transmitted to the trigger. The first crease has no fleshy pad to delay (or induced creep) into the "let of the trigger". Bruce

13. Aintlost

Aintlost Member

Phil, As you mentioned, I have cut the angle on my Ljutic trigger to get rid of the flat face and 90* angle edge. It make the release much smoother with a smooth surface. Lane

14. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Lane. if you could post a picture of your trigger,it would be so appreciated. See ya & the crew in a few weeks.

Phil

15. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

635G what kind of gun are you talking about? On the trigger design you want?

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

16. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I'm currently shooting an Infinity, I have in the past have had my finger slip a lttle , short shot the target---lost--I'll speak to Dennis , he is currently so busy---I hope he'll be able to make the modification I would like, in the near future.

Phil

17. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

I have shot both and want both in the same place, in the FIRST joint too much margin for error & slippage when on the pad, when you use the 1st. joint you have your finger kinda wrapped around the trigger so a lot less chance of an accidental let-off or pull due to the "squishiness" of the pad. I'm from Iowa,(1st.45 yrs.) now in Ga.(last 25 yrs.) yes I'm 70 & most, not all, release shooters I know use the 1st. joint for this reason. This was how & the reason I was taught when I 1st. went to a release, my mentor for the release was 1 of the best shooters I ever had the good fortune to know. I currently am back to a pull set at 4&1\2 lbs. too light of a pull or release & I shoot to early, AKA as behind and LOST. just my experience. Ross Puls

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.