1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Tried the new 3/4 oz Claybuster wads...

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 8 Straight, Mar 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 8 Straight

8 Straight Active Member

I got my freebie sample of the new 12 ga. 3/4 oz wads from Claybuster yesterday, and immediately loaded a box. The sample was 25 wads in a zip-lock bag, along with a data sheet. I used Remington Gun Club hulls, Cheddite primers, and 16 grains of Promo, in place of Red Dot. Not only did the loads break birds when pointed in the right spot, there was an almost total lack of recoil. You could hear the gun go off, but that was about it. If I recall correctly, the pressure listed on the sheet was 6200 PSI. Some of the other loads were under 6000 PSI. I am going to get a bag or two to try even more of them. It looks like there will be a lot of 3/4 oz practice ammo in my future.

2. lots of 24's

lots of 24's Member

I practice with 7/8 all the time. Very nice. 3/4 would be even nicer. Saves on shot too, bigtime. You either center it and break it or you dont. No recoil at all. Very cool.

3. 5 Stand Dan

5 Stand Dan Active Member

My Claybuster 3/4 oz sample came today as well. I loaded them in AA-HS hulls with 16.0 grains of ClayDot and #8.5 shot. They crimped really nice, weird that they are so much longer than a DR 1 oz, I had to lower my wad guide to be able to feed them.

Anyway, I went and shot 5 Stand, zero recoil and they smoked targets with authority.

5standdan_2011_251017.jpg

5standdan_2011_251018.jpg

4. rexxon631g

rexxon631g Member

Where did you get the free samples, I would like to try them also. Thanks Rex

5. 8 Straight

8 Straight Active Member

Just call Claybuster wads and ask for a sample. They will send you enough for a box of shells, quick delivery, and no charge.

6. Claymuncher

Claymuncher Member

What is FPS of these loads, 8's obviously?

CM

7. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

I had very good results on sporting clays out to 35 yds. with a mod. choke on the following:

AA hull
    Nobel Sport Primer
    3/4 oz. #8 1/2
    X-Lite 16 grs. (approx. 1300fps.)
    CB 3/4 oz. wad

Very clean burn.

8. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

I gotta try some of those 7/8 oz. I just tried 1 oz after shooting 1 1/8 oz for 25 years. I couldn't believe it. I bought a bag at the local Gander Mtn. Loaded up a couple of boxes and could not believe it. I got home and as soon as I walked in the door I got on Gamial's web sight and ordered a case. Them 1 oz'ers break them with authority. I can't wait to try 7/8 oz.

9. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

MDMike: you will like the 7\8 just as well if not better, International boys & girls have been limited to 24 gm. (slightly less than 7\8 for several years now).For me @ age 71 I don't need any more recoil, I have shot 7\8 just goofing off @ the 27 yard line, they will surprise you how well they break targets. I load about 1175 fps. JMO Ross Puls

10. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

My wimp loads do not always function my A5 so when shooting a score I will have some heavier loads for the first shot on doubles.

It is amazing to see the wimp loads reach out and smoke a target with authority, where the heavier load is just breaking them all right.

First ever 100st was with 7/8ths oz reloads

needless to say I am sold on the lite loads

Al Lingham

11. notquite27

notquite27 TS Member

I am somewhat of a "newby," a sometimes convert from sporting FITASC, which is a tough mother of a game. We sometimes encounter shots at 55-70 yds. and are mandated with a maximum of 1 oz. of shot. I wonder why the ATA, with their lollypop targets (compared to International) still mandate 1-1/8 oz. shot loads? I see shooters on the line shooting guns that are ported, backbored, with hydraulic stocks that cost thousands of dollars, just to mitigate the effects of the 3 dram 1-1/8 oz. loads that they continue to insist on shooting.

A properly placed one oz. charge will break a clay from 27 yds. and beyond. 7/8 and even 3/4 will suffice from the 16 yd. line. With the cost of components today, especially shot, one would think that the ATA would get their heads out of their ass and look at reducing the shot charge requirements. As we reduced the mandates in International trap and skeet from 1-1/4 oz. to 1-1/8 oz. to 1 oz. to 7/8 oz. magically, despite all the bitching, the average scores increased.

If the ATA is to grow, which they are NOT doing now, they need to see what is going on at the grass roots level. Most shooter I know are using lighter shot charges, and loving it. Another 1/8 oz. isn't going to help if you are pointing the gun in the wrong place.

12. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

The A-5 can be made to shoot ultra light loads. Take the friction ring out, and saw it in half, reinstall one of the halves. Save one for another gun. I have been using this modification since I found that the light setting on the gun is not light enough for real slow 7/8 ounce loads.

13. MAL-53

MAL-53 Member

Anybody try these wads out with Clays powder? Rightnow the load data only shows Claydot being used,will have to try some, breakemall ML.

14. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Claydot was designed as an exact replacement for Clays. I interchange recipes without any issues, but I also don't push the envelope on pressures. This shouldn't be an issue with 3/4 oz loads. Mark

15. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

After reducing the loads like we have the 7/8's are good, the 3/4's are better, the 1/2's will be great! We're on our way to the one pellet load.

Look at all the shot we'll save and the scores will be phenomenal.:)

Ajax

16. 870

870 Well-Known Member

notquite27:

I certainly can't tell you for sure that you're wrong when saying - "As we reduced the mandates in International trap and skeet from 1-1/4 oz. to 1-1/8 oz. to 1 oz. to 7/8 oz. magically, despite all the bitching, the average scores increased" is incorrect, but I can say that it seems to be an oft-quoted false statement.

I've heard that many times, but it seems to me every time someone really looked into it, it turned out it was not really true.

17. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

What powders are best? I have loaded 7/8 Oz. with Green Dot for Trap with good results and I use Green Dot in my 20 Ga. hunting loads with great success. I don't know about 3/4 Oz.in 12 Ga. withj Green Dot. Will it be too slow!

18. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Did you ever wonder why if our top shooters are really as good as we think they are, how come so few (ANY?) of them compete on an international level with any real authority? American trap is the easiest clay target sport out there. Lazy angles and snail speed targets by comparison. The international trap shooting community has been using 24 and 26 gram shells for a long LONG time. Just like everything else though, the good old U.S.A. thinks their way is the best way. Remember the metric system we were going to start using way back when? Yeah... Right.... It has been proven that bunker trap scores went up as the shot payload went down. All the lighter charge does is make a shooter accountable for where their gun is pointed. No more fringe breaks cuz their ain't no fringe anymore. You either pointed the target correctly or you missed. Simple. Leo, Kiner, Stafford, Marshall and the rest will still be atop the leader board at all the majors because they know how to point a target correctly 99+ percent of the time and they are breaking the target with the core of their pattern. The rest of the wannabees will get set back to where they really belong and the rest of us will still be out there having fun for less money because of the savings in the lead. People need to start blaming their scores on their actual lack of ability and not the amount of shot they shoot. You don't need 1 1/8 ounce of #7 1/2 to break a 16 yard American trap target with a full choked 12 gauge.

JK

19. 870

870 Well-Known Member

"Did you ever wonder why if our top shooters are really as good as we think they are, how come so few (ANY?) of them compete on an international level with any real authority?"

Maybe because International is not funded in the USA to the extent in other countries? If the guys aren't in the armed services, or very rich, not many can afford the time or money to pursue that direction.

20. 5 Stand Dan

5 Stand Dan Active Member

birdogs:

ClayDot works okay for 3/4 ounce, but it leaves a lot of unburnt powder in the barrel. The cleanest is Alliant's Extra-Lite, then maybe e3. Red Dot can also be used. They all can be used for 1200 - 1300 fps loads.

5 Stand Dan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.