1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Tried something new today

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ec90t, Mar 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ec90t

ec90t Guest

While shooting skeet today I tried something new, at least for me, low gun mount at all stations (yes even at 8). I've been wanting to try it for quite some time now, but lacked the confidence to do so. I shot 5 rounds this way and within 2 rounds I was right back at my usual 22-23 out of 25. It felt much more natural to shoot this way and my comfort level increased accordingly. Now I know why it was shot this way for so long.

A couple of the older shooters were chuckling as they watched because they haven't seen anyone low gun mount a slide gun in quite some time.

ec90t

2. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

good 4 you!

You had a good view of the target, and good gun speed as well even on crossers.
    Just like nice easy highway driving with the cruise control on and your favorite tunes on.

I went into a skeet league this winter as a low gun shooter (even for trap) but couldnt shoot gun up.

Came out being able to do both better.

3. ken a

ken a Member

This will work if the gun fits correctly and should make you a better field shooter. For trap I prefer a shouldered gun.

4. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

Some encourage that style of shooting in sporting clays. Move, mount, shoot. I try it from time to time. For me it makes trap quite a bit harder and skeet a little harder. In skeet no hindrance on the middle crossers but I don't like it on the quick shots. On those shots it feels unnatural. I think in sporting clays it would probably help me on a slow developing target by keeping me from riding a target but probably hurt my shooting on a quickly departing target. Some say if you are practicing for bird shooting it is more natural. I don't really think it is though. Birds don't leave the ground at 45 miles per hour and then slow down. I have never had a problem with time to mount my gun with wild birds.

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

My skeet scores improved when I went to the low gun. Seemed to smooth things out quite a bit. Enjoy.

6. ec90t

ec90t Guest

My scores havent suffered any from the change. My little BPS shoulders up quite nicely.

I change things up a bit in sporting clays. I will shoot some stations shouldered and some low gun depending on the presentation. There are some stations that require patience no matter what!

Trap I will always shoot shouldered. I don't think that trap guns pull up very well. The weight and stock length is prohibitive to low gun style shooting.

Thanks all!

ec90t

7. tj303

tj303 Member

Allowing a pre-mounted gun in Skeet was typical American logic of "dumbing" down. Same is true with Sporting clays, and same is true in going from 3-hole to 2-hole ATA trap. Lets make everything easy, we all are 'entitled' to a good score! Just my opinion, Tony Johnson

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.