1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Tried my first Promo today

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by warren, Apr 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. warren

warren Member

I finally got a chance to try out the first of my Promo loads today and I must say I'm very pleased. I'm using Cheddite primers, 1 1/8oz w/ 18.5 grains of Promo in gun club hulls and windjammer style Downrange wads and got good results the load felt good and strong but not excessive. I'm gonna try using it all season and see how I like it, the price is right.

warren

2. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Been using Promo for 2-3 years now, made in USA which is a plus for me. Just be sure to weigh your charges because Promo is denser than RD so requires a SMALLER bushing, also recheck when you change kegs as Promo "can" vary 2 or 3 bushing sizes between lot #s. Think you will like it, I switched from 700X when Hodgens (sp) bought IMR and raised the price. Ross Puls

3. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

You won't be disappointed about Promo.

you will be disappointed that you took so long to switch as you could have saved money.

4. alf174

alf174 Member

I couldn't get Promo to pattern for sh$t at speeds faster that 1050fps in my guns and gave the rest away - may want to pattern your guns Warren before you pass final judgement.

5. JPS101

JPS101 TS Member

I shoot 18gr with 7/8 oz for call birds at 27yds for
    Buddy shoots and19.4 with 1oz for back ups and love
    It. I don't think you will be disappointed.

6. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

Used Fiocchi 616 with it. Bloopers when it got very cold. No issues with Clays or Claydot with the same primer.

7. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Been using it for a long time now. Meters well but it is a good idea to weigh each lot as it is a little more dense(only slightly) from Red Dot. Always had good results with it! Probably loaded over 15 kegs of it by now. Just under 18 grs.(about 17.8)seems the best load for 1 oz. (at least in my case). Good product as far as I'm concerned. Anybody wants to give some away--I'll take it!!!

8. 548

548 Guest

"Can vary two to three bushing sizes depending on the lot numbers" -- And this is acceptable?

9. XP100

XP100 Well-Known Member

548, very acceptable if you have scales and adjust for the difference in weight from lot to lot

10. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

If you want to go El-Cheapoooooo, Promo is the way to go, However, there are two different methods of reloading. Load for value, or load for performance. Contrary to popular belief, you can't have both at the same time. Let the naysayers respond.

11. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

shot410ga,

How do you feel about Red Dot??

12. shot410ga

HSLDS, Red Dot & 700X, old standby powders, that have been replaced by the newer cleaner burning powders. At one time they were the cheapest powders one could buy. And Red Dot was the dirtiest powder ever made. I used a bunch.

13. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

OK, just so you know, Promo is an un-standardized form of Red Dot.

Most powders are 'standardized' - to continuously give the same weight per volume from batch to batch.

Promo is Red Dot where this step is NOT done.

The process of regulating the volume/weight is time consuming and adds great expense to the production process - but for reloaders it is very convenient.

Ammunition producers do NOT use regulated powders - they will buy a bulk powder and then determine the amount they need to give the desired loading for that batch - they adjust the machines, and off they go.

So, is using Promo being cheap or being smart??

I use it (yes, it is dirty), but I'll buy several 8 pound containers at the same time (same lot number), thus once adjusted for the load I want I can load for quite a while without readjusting.

It takes me a few minutes to verify the load and make adjustments as needed - am I giving up performance for value??

I think not.

14. warren

warren Member

410 If the el cheapo is effective that is what I'll choose if you want to burn money that's your privledge

warren

15. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Promo is a blend of powder that did not make the burning rate of the powders they were designed for. One batch may have more e-3 in it and the next may have more American Select,etc. They blend the powders to give the same burning rate as Red Dot but because of the different powders the density changes from lot to lot. It's a good deal for the shooter and a good deal for the manufacture.

This is also a reason that some people say it's really dirty and other say it's clean. Depending on what was used, both may have been right.

Ajax

16. Ray Collins

Ray Collins Active Member

I have used a lot of Promo and yes I am parsimonious(Cheap)as Shot410ga knows.

Promo was recommended to me by Alliant as the one to use as a beginning reloader. I have had excellent results with it and see no reason to change. I use Cheddite primers and Downrange wads to reload AA hulls.

Promo is a contract powder and the unsold portion of the batch is adjusted to match Red Dot specs thus the variation in weight.

Now Jimmy(shot410), if you are so quality conscience why do you use homemade shot for all of your shooting????? LOL!

Doc

17. shot410ga

Doc, I never said I was quality conscience. On the contrary, reread my post. I'm a semi value/recoil sensitive reloader, ERGO: the homemade shot, and one ounce loads. However, I was using Clays. which I have not been able purchase as of late. So, now it's Clay Dot. One short step above Promo. Perhaps when that runs out I'll be borrowing Promo from you....At a reasonable interest rate. LOL

So, what is a quality component reloader. Maybe Federal paper hulls, Federal wads, Federal 209's, and 7525 or PB powder, with new magnum shot?

18. Ray Collins

Ray Collins Active Member

Now I am confused which is not unusual.

"If you want to go El-Cheapoooooo, Promo is the way to go,": Appears to be a quality issue to me; however, how does homemade shot reduce recoil??! LOL?!

I will take the the interest on the Promo loan in Jim's homemade lucky lead!!

Doc

19. LDAddi

LDAddi TS Member

I've been using Promo since it came out and have never had it vary more than about 1/2 grain from lot to lot. It leaves a little ash in the barrel which has no effect at all. As long as this is the case, I have no reason to change for those that cost 20% more. As has been said before about numerous products, send me all that you have and I'll dispose of it for you.

Larry

20. Bthompson77

Bthompson77 TS Member

Shot410ga

Contrary to your post you can load for both value and performance. As long as I do my part when reloading, such as being smooth pulling the press handle, keeping the powder tube full and not being in a hurry the reloads turn out very well. The chrono and pattern board tell the tale. Any missed targets are my fault not a load problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.