1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Tried a 7/8oz load

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jbmi, Mar 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

My usual load has been either 1 1/8oz @ 1180fps or 1oz loads at the same speed.
    I decided to try a 7/8oz load @ 1250fps just for kicks.
    Broke 23 in snowy cold weather yesterday with my first box, didn't feel any difference in recoil or noise. Birds just disappeared in a puff of black smoke. May have to shoot a few more boxes to see if this load should continue. My 90T with IM choke worked very well with this new load. With the price of lead a 7/8oz load vs. my 1 1/8oz. would mean I'd have enough shot left to load an additional 7 rounds after my box was full. Hmmmm, very interesting.

2. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

I tried a load a little under 7/8oz this weekend, when I adjust the score for those shots that the shooter was all screwed up, they did real well,

even broke some birds that I really tried hard to miss!

Al

3. 90T3200

90T3200 TS Member

Ahh, another 7/8's convert.

My 90T loves 7/8's loads too (actually it loves anything in the 2 3/4 dram range) - I've been shooting them for a few weeks now. Loaded up some with 8 1/2's @ about 1230fps (17.5 of Clays) and shot them with temps in the low 40's this weekend and broke a 24 - missed the first dang bird but that was my fault. The birds just disappear when you're on them.

The shot savings is a big plus - it was my motivating factor in reloading 7/8's for practice - I still use 1 1/8 or 1oz in competition, but when my stock of factory loads gets low or I go to a marathon shoot, I'm very much leaning towards packing my 7/8's loads. The light recoil won't tire you out and they just seem to find and tear every piece of clay in the air to pieces.

4. nomderf

nomderf TS Member

Glenn Brewer broke a 99 Saturday to win the singles in heavy winds using a Red Dot 7/8's load.

He then won the caps with an 87 and got a punch for his efforts using the same load in even windier conditions.

Too bad he doesn't shoot doubles because he could have possibly won the HOA!

See the full write up at the site above!!

38-01615

5. oz

oz Active Member

while you are shooting a few more boxes, try modified and the light modified, I think you will be suprised. oz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.