1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

TRICO WADS-?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by shaggist, Feb 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shaggist

shaggist Member

I asked about Uniwads, so now the question is 'what happened to Trico Wads'? They were made by Trico Plastics in Azusa, CA, as late as 1992. They were similar to the Uniwad, in that they had an internal, adjustable anvil, that crushed to accommodate the size of the shot charge when the shell was crimped. They came in 12 & 20 gauge sizes, and were identified by their anvil color-blue for 12s, and orange for 20s. When you fired the round, the anvil collapsed completely, so that the shot charge was totally within the wad cup, and the shot deformation was minimized. They were great wads, and were 'universal', being able to be used effectively with any shotgun hull. If anyone has some(12g), I would be interested in acquiring them.

Trico also made custom stocks for the 870, 1100, & 11-87, powder & shot bottles for MECs, scope covers, case holders, and wad fingers. Does anyone know anything about the company?
    Jack

2. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Last I knew, the company was still there ... but with new owners.

They are primarily an injection molding company, and since the previous owner was an avid shooter, he made shooting products. The Trico Wads were made whenever he had an idle machine. They would install the molds and run wads until there was an item to be produced on that machine.

It was a hit or miss on buying them. Whenever I was near that area, I would stop in and ask if they had any available. If they did ... I bought as much as I could fit in my full sized Chevy van.

Evidentally, the new owners are not interested in producing them.

3. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

There's another possibility for Downrange or Claybuster. If the dies are still available the market could use them once more. Used many, many of the old Uniwads. Come to think of it..never heard of a problem with "fingers" folding in with those.

Big Jack