1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Tricking out an 1100...

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by capvan, Nov 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capvan

capvan Active Member

OK, everyone has convinced me to shoot my 1100 more and put off a new gun purchase. Exactly what can I do to it? And who/where to do it? There is NOTHING available here in Vermont, or nothing I can find. I do have a shell catcher on it now, so there's no flying shells to bug my fellow shooters. And I do reload. I've also got one of those flourescent sights on the bead. What else? Source?

Thanks....Bruce

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Do you have a buttstock that fits you?

3. capvan

capvan Active Member

I guess it fits. I close my eyes, mount the gun, open my eyes and it's just where it should be. Someone told me to do this a looonnng time ago. My fellow shooters seem to think it fits. I bought it off the shelf.
    Bruce

4. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

busting good scores, leave it alone.

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You have to get the creep out of the trigger and get the weight of pull to about 3.5 lbs. You can also add some weight to the gun. Put an 8 oz lead weight in the magazine tube, in front of the spring and put an 8 oz lead weight in the butt stock. That way you keep the balance of the gun the same and get rid of most of the recoil. Also an adjustable comb and butt plate would be nice to have. HMB

6. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

A hastings barrel, Briley or other premium chokes, adjustable comb, adjustable buttplate with good recoil pad, wire shell catcher, extended release (I don't like them), Extended operating handle, better trigger, release trigger, etc. Just choose what you feel fits you the best and gets results. The 1100 is an easy gun to modify and there are MANY options. Personally, mine is almost box stock, except for a little trigger work and a little change of sight bead/blinder. I have also stepped up to a set of Briley chokes. That made more of a difference in the patterns, but not much in my scores.

Giving it a good cleaning and replacing worn/broken parts and springs on a regular basis can help a lot.

7. tj303

tj303 Member

If you are shooting it well...leave it as is!

8. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

Anybody have an old "Speedlock' trigger they can sell Bruce? That is about the only thing I would change.

The only "extra" you might need to bring along to the club is the BIG bag or box for the empties. Just shoot every chance you get. If you can break 22-23's you can break 25's. There isn't an angle that machine can throw that you can't break. Unless you miss the SAME target EVERYTIME, you have already broken every angle the thing can throw. Just keep your head down and concentrate.

Good Luck, Tom(AJ100)

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Fred,

" This type of arm needs lots of sear engagement ". Who told you that? HMB

10. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Have you tried these guys, they have had some good prices on the web site. They seem to offer a large selection of sporting guns? Only thing I would do? Get a Wenig Trap stock semi inletted with adjustable comb and pad. I think most factory brownings/remintons could shoot a tad higher.

11. tj303

tj303 Member

If you are shooting it well...leave it as is!

12. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

Anybody have an old "Speedlock' trigger they can sell Bruce? That is about the only thing I would change.

The only "extra" you might need to bring along to the club is the BIG bag or box for the empties. Just shoot every chance you get. If you can break 22-23's you can break 25's. There isn't an angle that machine can throw that you can't break. Unless you miss the SAME target EVERYTIME, you have already broken every angle the thing can throw. Just keep your head down and concentrate.

Good Luck, Tom(AJ100)

13. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Fred,

" This type of arm needs lots of sear engagement ". Who told you that? HMB

14. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Have you tried these guys, they have had some good prices on the web site. They seem to offer a large selection of sporting guns? Only thing I would do? Get a Wenig Trap stock semi inletted with adjustable comb and pad. I think most factory brownings/remintons could shoot a tad higher.

15. copterdrvr

copterdrvr TS Member

Remington offers a replacement spring to reduce the trigger pull that takes 5 seconds to replace, requires NO tools and the only thing you need to do is knock out the two pins that hold the trigger assembly in the gun and the spring is right on the top of it.

I have patterned many different choke tubes and ANYBODY'S extended choke tube patterns better than anybody's flush-mount choke tube.
    If you're shooting from the 16 yard line, I would strongly recommend you use a lite modified or at the most a modified choke. You will find that your score will be much higher than if you use a full or extra full choke. If you are an accomplished shooter who has mastered the art of trapshooting, then by all means shoot an extra full if you like seeing nothing but smoke.

Copterdrvr

16. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

"I have patterned many different choke tubes and ANYBODY'S extended choke tube patterns better than anybody's flush-mount choke tube"

I din't think that extra bit of tube sticking out of the barrel mattered that much. I always thought the reason for extended tubes was that you could change them without needing a wrench. Learn something new every day.

I'm going to have to call Briley and tell them that their flush mount Series 1 tubes they installed on my old MX8 are not as good as their extended ones. Damn, why didn't somebody tell me sooner. Now I'm stuck with these flush type tubes.

Tom(AJ100)

17. SARGE75X

SARGE75X Member

I just got done with mine. I installed a Hastings Hi Rib Barrel, a Timney pull trigger and a rollover Anton stock and had Graco install a adjustable length of pull butt plate with a kick eze pad. Took it to the club last thursday and broke 22/24 from the 16. All in all its more comfortable. I was lucky I didnt need a adjustable comb the Hi rib and the drop on the comb matched me perfect. I was able to sell the orginial stock,trigger group and barrel right here and that helped defray the costs of the mods. BTW it's a great looking gun too. Thanks to Captin for a beautiful job on the stock.

18. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

34" barrel is fun! IMHO Omaha

19. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Do you have a pair of earrings?

20. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

JJR1100 is on the right track, just be sure you trade it on a parallel target model.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

tricked out 1100 trap