1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Tribute to Al Ljutic from Dan Orlich

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dana Orlich McGwire, Aug 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dana Orlich McGwire

Dana Orlich McGwire TS Member

My name is Dana (Orlich) McGwire and I am Dan Orlich's middle daughter. My dad was at my home a few days ago and we started talking about Al Ljutic and his passing. I decided to google some things about Al with my dad sittig next to me, and that's when we stumbled upon Trapshooters.com. My dad asked if I could read him some of the comments people were saying about Al and not only did he recognize many names, but most of the guns people were listing. That's when he said "Well, I think I should write something too. Afterall, I do own Ljutic #1" So, he went home and prepared his letter for me to write, and here it is. My dad does not have computer, he just continues to be amazed by everything that computers and cell phones can do these days!! I am happy to pass along or read anything to him that some of you may write concerning comments from his letter!! Take Care, Dana Orlich McGwire

-A Trubute to Al Ljutic, a legend in our sport of trapshooting-

Al and I first met in the early 1950's. He was the assistant gun club manager at Harolds Gun Club in Reno, Nv. working with manager and trapshooting great, Phil Miller. Al was young, brash, hard headed, outspoken, AND brilliant! He had no equal in a machine shop; always thinking, experimenting, inventing new things, and never satisfied.....until one day in 1960, he had what he thought was the perfect, single barrel trap gun (aptly named the Ljutic mono gun). All he needed now, as he put it, "was someone to shoot the damn thing." I had done some good shooting in the 50's so he came to me and asked if I would give it a try. In addition to the other "adjectives" I ascribed to him, he was very persuasive, so try I did! After 6 months I told him I would like to continue shooting it, but only on one condition...that he put a "BIG" serial #1 on it. He did, and the rest is history.
    Ljutic Mono Gun #1, along with Ljutic Bi-Gun #1 are now on display at Sage Hill Clay & Sports Gun Club in Reno,Nv as an added tribute to Al's genius.

There have been a lot of 100's, HOA's, HAA's, records, and most of all, very fond memories. Thanks Al, you were my country man, my coach, my mentor, and my FRIEND. Rest in peach-
    Dan Orlich

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Wow, what a beautiful tribute from a legend in time, Lou Mowan formerly Ft Wayne Indiana, now Idaho

3. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

Nice tribute , one legend to another legend.

I owned a Ljutic , stainless steel mid- rib many years ago. I was shooting at the old Orlando gun club when I discovered that my gun had broken, the large piece of metal off the bottom of the barrel ( barrel lug?). I callled Al on a Saturday and he told me ," that should not happen to my gun, send it back". I got the gun back promptly, repaired, "NO CHARGE". Al and Nadine were giants in the trapshooting world. May he rest in peace.

Charlie Becknell.

4. IMR 7625

IMR 7625 Member

DAN WELL SAID

5. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

Thanks Dana. Really, really special. Tell your dad that in the 20 plus years I knew and shot with Barney Barnhart, he told story after story about your dad. Barney was a guy who drew much respect from others and I don't think Barney respected anyone more than your dad. Barney used to tell the story about him and Dan breaking the only 200 straights in the Clay Target in a wind storm way back. Barney asked Dan what he broke after the event, Dan responded with "I got 'em all but had to chase those targets all over Vandalia". I hope I am remembering the details of that story right. Two of the greatest for sure. Would be great for alot of us to hear from your dad from time to time through you.

Best wishes to all at your house,

milt palasota
    Fort Worth, TX

Started shooting at Elliotts in Raytown, MO in 1970. Home of the Kansas City Trapshooters Assoc., C.E.Barnhart, Myron Willoughby, Steve Vogli, Russ Elliott, J.A.R. Elliott, Earnest Jelly, Kevin Onka, Eddie Schneider, Lela Hall Frank, Steve Carmichael, M.L. McGuire, Larry McKinley, Rachel Hopkins, Dr. Charles Schwab, Jim Hedgecock and many other All American greats.

6. Trapshooter1

Trapshooter1 Member

One of the greatest to another.

7. rick979

rick979 Active Member

We lost Al but I am sooooooo glad we still have Mr Orlich. He still has many trapshooting stories to share with us. Rick ..... Texas

8. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

That was a beautiful write up. This is the first I've heard of Al's passing.

Truly a sad day in the world of Trap. He will be missed.

9. 4EVRYOUNG

4EVRYOUNG Member

Thanks Dana I wish if you or some one had the time they would put some of the old stories in print. A laugh a minute anytime a shooter needed to smile he could open to a page a read of what the Greats had done to one another in the name of FUN.

10. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Wow. Thank you Dana and tell your Father thank you. My prayers are with the Ljutic family.

Wayne

wayneo_2008_030320.jpg

11. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Thanks Dana and Dan.

12. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

13. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

Wonderful writing !

Thanks Dan and Dana !

We need more stories like this. The story, behind the story !

Someday when the people with these types of stories are no longer with us, we are going to wish we ahd taken the time to record their stories.

As mentioned in an above post, would you ask your Dad to tell us more stories Dana? We who enjoy the history in, and of the sport, enjoy all we can get.

Dave in SC

14. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Dan Orlich, The first of Big Dog's...

15. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

I ended up on vacation and was driving through Washington state. I remembered that the home factory of ljutic was nearby. Picked up the phone and asked if I could visit the factory. Nadine answered and welcomed me with open arms. I spent about 3 hours talking to everyone including Al and Jim. They could not have been more warm and welcoming to a stranger that just Stopped IN. I enjoyed the visit and they showed me all the "trick stuff" that was in the works. Did you know that Al built all the guns out of wood as prototypes before doing it in metal. Interesting. Motordoc

16. Fast Oil

Fast Oil TS Member

I bought my Ljutic Mono #843 from an old friend in 1988. It had belonged to his brother who could no longer shoot because of health. He had quoted me a price over the phone, He in Ohio and I lived in Florida.

We met at the Grand the next week at the "Florida" building. I had a check made out and handed it to him before even taking the gun out of the case. He was suprised that I did not inspect the gun first. I told him there were too many people hovering around and wanted to make sure the deal was complete before a bidding war would break out.

Every time I saw this friend after that sale he would ask if I still had the Ljutic and then would follow that with, "I sold that gun too cheap".

I took the gun directly to Al who first thing he did was place his little finger in the muzzle and state, no one has messed with the choke! He had Denny pull the trigger, lube it and told me don't do anything to it, shoot it as it is.

I met Dan Orlich in Reno at the old Club in 1989 and the following year broke my first 100 x 100 at Sage Hill.

When I switched to a release trigger I struggled with trigger control. About once every 100 targets I would release the trigger after mounting the gun and just before calling pull. A long conversation with Al on technique and we came to a conclusion that I needed more palm swell.

I would sell every other gun I own before I would even think of selling my Ljutic.

Rest in peace Al.

17. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Dan, thanks for that... Adn Dana, thanks for assisting Dad...

Adn one more thing Dan... I ain't gonna wear no COWBOY BOOTS to shoot TRAP!

Jack Swanson.

And for you others that have not read Dan's book... He is a cowboy shootin trap. He knows what I mean.

18. GR8Guns

GR8Guns TS Member

Dana,

Thanks for helping your father in sharing with us this great story about two outstanding men.

Respectfully,

Bruce Elliott

North Carolina

Ljutic # 119

Ljutic SS # 74

19. mx8dave

mx8dave Member

Thanks Dana ,Was at the PITA Grand in 1992 and saw your father inducted into the PITA hall of fame ,,have always admired him as ashooter and gentleman ,,David Lang MX8 Dave

20. Red Dot 1

Red Dot 1 Member

Dana,

Wonderful words from a great shooter and please tell your father hello. I still have the card he sent to me in 1983 congratulating me for my wins and record 399x400 score at the 1983 Grand American.

You have a special father and trapshooter.

Roger Smith
    Wichita, KS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

al ljutic

dan and dana mcgwire
dan orlich brothers
dana orlich
dana orlich reno
harolds gun club dan orlich
picture of dan orlich and a young joe ljutic