1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

TRI FLOW OIL & GREASE

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hooligan, Dec 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hooligan

Hooligan Member

Some info and opinions would be appreciated from users of Tri Flow lubricants.
    This synthetic oil and grease is available only from cycle shops in Australia.
    It appears to be very popular as a gun lubricant in the US and I am interested to know if you guys use the oil or the grease. I intend to use it on an MX8
    Perazzi action. The grease appears to be extremely "sticky". My gun gets a lot of use - 3 days a week.
    Barry

2. Guy

Guy Member

Use Tri-Flow oil only....and use it on everything.....Use the bottle on action surfaces, and spray on the trigger.....and don't worry about using too much. I also use a soaked rag to wipe down mine at the end of the day.

3. ABH

ABH Member

I use TRI-FLOW oil on my reloading press as well as wiping down my guns after use.It is excellent for triggers also.ART H.

4. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Lubes are an obsession to some people; they are always searching for something newer and better. Fact is that synthetic lubes sometimes don't lubricate as well as petroleum lubes; they were needed where operating temps exceed the oxidation temp of petroleum lubes (350 deg. F). But manufacturers found that words like "synthetic" and "space age" hooked buyers and "synthetic" lubes hit the market.

It's better if you think it's better. Guns, especially shotguns, aren't very demanding of their lubes. More important to keep the lube clean than to use an exotic one.

MK

5. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

What is it the Garand fans say? "If it slides, grease it. If it turns, oil it." Wonder what category the forend joint is under?

Didn't know they made a grease. Ought to be a good one.

Use to use the spray TriFlo on the chains when we raced Karts. It didn't attract dirt and the links would never seize or even get sticky. Except for smelling like a skunk, it was awesome. Usually Ace Hardware has the spray. About $6 for an 8 oz. can.

My favorite now is Slick 50 One Lube spray. It's a buck or two (right now it's on sale at Menard's for $2.99 per 12 oz. can) cheaper and leaves residual teflon on whatever gets sprayed. One tip: Be careful not to get any on the linoleum, otherwise you'll be "ice skating in the kitchen" for the next 2 months. ;-)

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

It is important to use a synthetic lube when ever your shotgun gets above 400 degrees F. Also, the Top Gun grease I use, is designed to provide good lubrication if my gun changes quickly from -30 degrees to 300 degrees. If you have a very tight fit in the hinge area of your gun and you open and close it 1000 times per minute, a good motor oil is designed to function under these conditions.

But, if you shoot at normal rates in normal temperatures, anything will work. The primary thing I look for in a grease is that it comes in a small container that will easily fit into my gun case.

Read the post by MK, he understands the question.

Pat Ireland

7. B V

B V TS Member

Tri-flow also makes a food grade anti-seize industrial lubricant. #TF23015

It is white in color and comes in a 9 ounce brush top bottle.

I found mine at a garage sale.

8. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Dan at Giacomo uses Tri-flo for everything except where the locking bolt engages the barrel.. He like Tri-flo grease there..

9. shootsome

shootsome Member

I have a hard time finding Tri-Flo Oil so I switched to Rem Oil. Rem Oil's a lot easier to find. I think they both have teflon in them and are as thin as water.

10. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

At the end of the day..any good grease on the locking area.. and any good oil on the rest.. cleaned CORRECTLY.. daily.. will work as well as anything out there.. The ability to last forever is in no ones favor.. Trapped dirt and grime is what destroys a gun..quickest... I like tri-flo and use it...My grease is CNC high speed centerpoint lube.. Never had a problem with either.. Those who know me know I keep a jar of mineral spirits in my van to clean the receiver and barrel ears before I put my guns away.. At worst.. It's done before I go to sleep at night... Then I tri-flo everything.. but wipe the barrels down with WD-40.. I relube and grease when I take the gun out to shoot.. and sometimes at lunch break..

11. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

who sells Tri-Flow? any retail chains?

12. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

You should be able to get tri flow at an auto supply store or bicycle repair store. Perhaps even walmart has it in their auto supply section.

Eric

13. Unknown1

It's easiest to find in bicycle shops. Most of the franchises stock it (Bicycle World, Pro-Line, Performance Bike, Jax etc.). Grease tube is about $10. Or you can mail order a 3 oz. tube from Amazon or any of a dozen other on-line merchants.

Some of the big city bike shops may also stock 2 oz. tubes of Dupont Krytox low temp #203 or #204 which, IMO, is far and away the best specialty grease on the market. Ten times the pressure capacity of moly in a lube made of only carbon, oxygen and fluorine. A 2 oz. tube should cost about $50.

MK

14. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

I used to use a product called Tri-Flon. I started using it as a lubricant when a customer brought in a gallon jug, and wanted all of his drive-line fluids in his Toyota 4X4 changed, and this used as an additive.

He claimed that tests showed it made everything mechanical run cooler, with less friction.

I couldn't argue with him as he put well over 400,000 miles on this little truck without a failure.

I think Tri-Flon has been replaced with Tri-Flo, but it could be a completely different product.

I buy Tri-Flo from Fastenal.

Danny

15. Unknown1

Tri-Flow was originally Triflon. It was developed in the late 70s by Jim Dehlsen who sold the commercial rights to it in 1980 to get money to develop wind power technology. It was originally just a refined lubricating oil that contained a small percentage (by weight) of sub-micron teflon solids. It worked well in some applications but less so well in others.

The formula has probably evolved over the past 30 years but the grease is still a simple synthetic base containing teflon particles. The EP version of the grease contains a polysulfide additive and red coloring.

MK

16. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

Thanks MK, I thought it may be the same product.

I still like it

Danny

17. LDAdd

LDAdd TS Member

Gents,

What are your opinions of CMD Gun Lube? I'm surprised no one mentioned it.
    That is, besides being pretty sticky and a little tough to apply to action parts.

Thanks

Larry

18. Unknown1

CMD is my spring-summer-fall lube. I love the stuff. I read somewhere it was developed as a lathe center lubricant. I like the way it turns semi-fluid with use and stays where it's needed. I have a pound can of military issue rifle grease too (c.1965) and it's pretty good but not as good as CMD.

MK

19. cottondoctor

cottondoctor Member

CMD sorta reminds me of the stuff we used on our National Match M-14's - it was called PlastiLube (sp) ......Champions Choice used to sell it.....

20. ramorton

ramorton TS Supporters TS Supporters

I tried CMD on my new Kolar. In Texas in the summer, the CMD was in my hand not on the gun. Hope this helps make up your mind. I use Mystic JT-6 NLG1 #2. One # will cost you around 5 dollars. Roy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

perazzi grease

trap gun synthetic oil

tri-flow lubricant for guns

triflo fastenal

triflow oil and greese