1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

"trenching" that occurs on a Perazzi breech face.

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by dynapro, May 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dynapro

dynapro TS Member

I am shooting an MX-8, bought used but excellent and I really like it. I have probably shot about 2500 rds. in 6 months, on top of the possibly 5k to 8k in its previous life.

Ok, so here's the problem:

I was cleaning it last night and I noticed a definite furrowing or groove starting to wear in the breech face below the bottom firing pin hole. It becomes really pronounced on the bottom lip of the hole, almost a dishing effect. I believe it is caused by the fired shell brass rubbing hard against the breech during the ejection cycle. The ejector pressure is pushing the brass hard and there is a shallow but noticable trench starting to form.

This might be from using steel headed shells like Estates which I have been shooting a lot. I would call this a "premature aging" of the gun, and I don't like it one bit. At the rate this is going my gun will be pretty ugly by this time next year.

Is this normal? Is it something I need to talk to a service department like Giacomo's about?

2. dynapro

dynapro TS Member

I sent the question to Bruce Buck, The Technoid. Maybe he will have an idea of what I'm talking about.

http://www.shotgunreport.com/

3. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Is this a Ithaca or Winchester Import?

4. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

I have an Ithaca MX-8 that has in excess of 50,000 shells shot through it and have never experienced this problem.

Mostly Winchester AA's and reloads using AA cases have been shot through my gun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.