1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

TREES FOR BACKGROUND

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by $2-Roy, Jun 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. $2-Roy

$2-Roy TS Member

Would like to plant some evergreen trees for background for trap range.
    Would like some input.

2. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

beware, this is what will happen someday.....

3. t-bar

t-bar Member

Don't do it!

t-bar

4. cueguy2

cueguy2 TS Member

Bad move.......dark target, cloudy day, broken tree background = rotten score.
    The only time I have ever shot in a place where the tree background was really nice was at Claybirds outside of Findlay. Steve was nice to let me get some targets in for the Grand while I was in the area for a family reunion. At that time he threw the yellow/orange targets. It was a bright sunny day and the targets never got over the trees. That color against green was awesome. Say, whatever happened to that color of target? Nubs Wagner.

5. mike31z

mike31z Member

Buy lime green targets, they are easy to see with the wooded background.

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

mike31z- Your comment about green targets against green trees makes absolutely no sense, but it is very true. My next comment also makes no sense, but is true. When the light conditions become less than ideal, the green targets get better.

All sky or all trees make a good background. Half trees and half sky is not an ideal background.

Pat Ireland

7. wam6187

wam6187 TS Member

We have trees for a backround at our club and I hate them.

The best backround is either sky or full cover of something when the target is at it's highest point. I shot at a club one time in North Eastern Ohio (I believe it was Mapleton?) that had a dirt hill backround and I loved it! The targets were very easy to see and get on quickly.

The problem with planting trees is they will take forever to grow and in the mean time I believe you will have some upset shooters because of the poor backdrop.

I agree with Pat Ireland, half of anything for a backround - not good...

Bill

8. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I'm with Jerry B., except I want the sun behind me. Pat has it nailed also.

Most of the clubs I shoot at face East through South and all but one have mixed backgrounds. Buck County Fish & Game has a deciduous tree background and throws all orange targets. It's tough to shoot there in the morning because the sun is in your eyes. Later, when the sun is approaching overhead, the background is dark and and any color that brightens and lightens the target is an advantage. Orange Ice Polarized, Vermillian, etc. works well. Later when the leaves are uniformly front lit, medium purple is the ticket, because it mutes the green which makes the target stand out. For dappled sunlight on leaves, green targets are best.

I think non-pine evergreen trees would make a good background. You'll have to plant them in a wide, regular spacing, staggered, with a minimum of two rows. Otherwise they will drop their lower limbs ass they age and you'll get a background like picture in the second post.

9. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

This is Stonybrook R&G in Mass. last week, the toughest venue of the Greater Lowell Trap League....We are usually praying for rain.....

10. Captain Bud

Captain Bud TS Member

Just back from Baltimore area--PVA trap shoot held at the home club of the President of the ATA, Mr. Ray Greb.

Beautiful green tree background at Carney Gun Club. Club throws lime green targets. I spoke with several folks from there and they said that they had tried orange and you can see the lime green much clearer.

Out of approx. 60 shooters-- 4-100's in singles. When it came to the Handicap the scores did not go higher than a lone 94, a lone 93, 6-- 92's, 5-- 91's. We did have a very pleasant light rain for the handicaps and we did finish them up prior to a major dumping of rain in the afternoon (Canceled the fun shoots).

Philip M. Santos-- Capt. Team Budweiser (Ret.)

11. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

OK time for me to pipe in. There is NOTHING wrong with a green background. However the problem with a green/sky or any other combo can be tough. Now let’s get to this topic of Green targets on Green backgrounds. There is only ONE club near me that shoots them. I went there for the second time to shoot; it will be my LAST time there. I have sent them a letter to that fact. ANYONE that thinks they can see a GREEN target better than an ORANGE one on a green background is FULL OF IT. The problem is many fold, starting with the biggest one CONTRAST!!! AND CONTRAST/DEPTH PERCEPTION. You want to know why the scores were lower in handicap........visit contrast and depth perception. ANYONE who has spent time on their eyes for shooting knows the advantage of using lens color to enhance the target color as compared to the background. Try that with a green/green background once. But the WORST fact about green targets green background is when your eyesight should be the BEST [sunny day sun from behind] your green target is actually WORST in this light condition. This target was made for only one purpose shooting in the desert, any other background and you are kidding yourself!!!!

GS

12. revsublime

revsublime TS Member

I find it hard to classify the fluorescent green targets with the green of trees...of any kind.

At our club (Kenmore Gun Range/Wildlife Committee of Washington) we have a half dirt/half evergreen background. The "green" targets show up much larger than the orange. ESPECIALLY near dusk as shadows start to creep across the field. Many I have talked to were very happy with the switch and have yet to hear one complaint.

Shot a PITA shoot at Evergreen Shooting Club during Memorial Day and they pretty much have an open background and orange targets. Targets seemed to be hockey puck sized, not frisbee sized as they appear to me with the green.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.