1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Tree planting ? and apple tree ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Bisi, Mar 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I just got back from "Lowes" and picked up a couple of white pine trees that I'm going to plant. The root balls are wrapped in burlap. The kid (18 to 20 guess) at Lowes said to leave tree wrapped in burlap and bury. Just wondering if I should leave burlap on root ball and bury, or cut the burlap away and then bury?

Also last fall I purchased a couple of apple trees at Lowes. I know I won't get any apples for 5 or 6 years, but was just wondering if I should do anything to trees this year? Should I spray with dormant spray or just leave alone, till they mature??

Thanks in advance for any info.

2. crusha

crusha TS Member

They say you can leave it, and burlap does eventually rot away...but I would unrestrict the roots as much as possible (without damaging them). Just be careful. I think the main reason they advise not to cut it away, is for fear some jackleg will cut large vital roots in the process.

But anyway...why not let Pedro and Manuel handle it? This "DIY" stuff doesn't sound like the Bisi I know, lol.

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Actually the kid is right. The burlap will rot away and the roots will grow thru it. Its the way i have always done it and i have some very healthy trees. I wouldn't even slit the burlap but i have done that before. The trees i slit the burlap look the same as the ones i did not slit.

This is one of those questions you will get a 1000 different answers. My response is from my experiance planting my White Pines and Bald Cypress.

Matt

4. Beni

Beni Member

Just cut a few slits in burlap and plant,burlapp is biodegradable. Also I would spray apples right away as apples are prone to things like scab also they need astringent spray program. good luck Beni

5. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Well buzzy, since they don't want us drinking and shooting at the gunclub anymore, I thought I would find a new hobby. I guess Pedro and Manuel will have to stay bussing tables at the Chinese buffett.

6. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Cut any twine that may be wrapped around the base of the tree trunk. The top of the root ball should be about even with the top of the ground.

7. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

I lost two nice trees by leaving the burlap bags on. Very expensive trees, but not fruit trees. When I cut them open the roots had tried to come out the top of the burlap into the air. I consulted a horticulturist, (tree guy), and he said to take the burlap bags off and take a paper knife and make cuts all around in the root ball. The new ones look good.

Good luck,

Ajax

8. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Here is the go to for all the info you need. http://ohioline.osu.edu/ I don't know why it does not come up in blue. it is Ohio State university website. Just cut the burlap what effort is it going to take? If trees /shrubs are in plastic pots roll on ground and pul plant out cut, pull slash with a sharp shovel and get thsoe roots spread out and if they a re gooing round and round up towars the top of the root ball then for sure tear them loose and get them out to where they will grow and not strangle the plant. If there is a wire cage CUT IT OFF ! the wire will only slow down the roots travels into the surrounding soil and it will still be there twenty years from now. If you don't like Ohio State for some reason I d believe each state has a land grant university that will have a similar site. Good luck Bill, Ohio State Extension Service Master Gardener class of 2007

9. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

PS yes apple trees need to be sprayed there are products that you can use that are organic in nature if you do not like the chemicals. Crap I just noticed I left out an O in Ohio!! I'll put it in the Website line on this post too. Brain cramp I guess!

10. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Don't forget to feed them, they like horse manure. HMB

11. ramen39

ramen39 Member

Like Jerry P said. Cut the twine used to tie the top of the burlap tight around the trunk. Especially if its the plastic kind or wire.

12. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

Cut off the burlap wrapping and roll the root ball to loosen the soil and let the roots start to spread. Dig a hole with corners, not round, as the roots in hard soil tend to follow the edge of the hole rather than spreading out evenly around the tree. If you have corners in the hole, the roots will grow to the corners and push out of the hole. My Dad always "dug a $20 hole, and filled it with $100 worth of fertilizer". Put the top of the root ball just under grade, but don't pile the soil around the trunk, leave a little depression around it.
    I don't know why you won't get any apples for 5 or 6 years. If you bought an apple tree, it should produce apples! There may not be many for a couple years, but if you prune properly, it will produce like a good thing once it gets some growth on it. If you don't know how to prune, find a good garden shop in the area and ask about classes on pruning. Most garden shops that are any good can point you in the right direction.

13. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

A friend of the family came by and he looked down. He had just moved in the area and thought he had pisseed someone off. Why would you think that? My fruit tree's are all scraped up. I laughed and he gave me a mean look like why are you laughing? Its not funny! I looked at him and said What time of the year is it? He said fall. What are deer doing? I don't know. Its rut season and the deer are shining up their antlers. He didn't know what to do when I told him that. City Boy. I told him to just put wire around them and that would take care of the problem. His tree's were fine after that.

The best thing you can do for your tree's is to buy some chicken wire and or box wire. You will have to put the wire around your tree's or the deer will ripe them apart come fall. Say about a foot away from the trunk on each side.

14. ramen39

ramen39 Member

Auctioneer
    Orchards buy motel type bar soap by the case. Tye A bar of the soap on A piece of string and hang it on your tree. It will keep the deer from rubbing one it with their antlers. I've used it and havn't had any scrapes since. Also when pruning. You can safely prune your apple trees any month with an R in them. Apples are A lot of work. The timing of the spraying is very important also. When anyone asks me what kind of apple trees to buy. I usually tell them to buy them (apples) from the market. Its A lot easier.

15. grntitan

Ramen--Just a FYI as you referred to the rub on your trees as a scrape. You may already know all this and just mistyped your meaning. Some info anyway. The rubbing on the tree by male deer is a "rub". They use their antlers and have glands on their forehead which leaves a scent to mark their territory. Also used to remove the velvet from there antlers. Some also believe they sharpen their antlers this way.

A scrape is an area on the ground a buck clears out down to bare dirt. With his hooves and antlers he then piss's down his back legs to be mixed with the scent from his tarsal glands. There is usually a branch hanging down over the scrape that the buck licks and chews on called simply "licking stick". This is a marking of territory for both other bucks and doe that may be in heat. A interested doe may also pee in the scrape to spark his intrest. It is also common for another buck to freshen a scrape of another buck to offer a challenge for territory.

Scrapes and rubs will usually be made in a long line indicating a bucks territory. He usually make his rounds checking all the scrapes and freshening all.---Matt

Buck making a rub.....

[​IMG]

Bucks scrape..........

[​IMG]

16. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

A friend is a forester in the city next door. He says take off the burlap. I sort of think this is a Chevy/Ford question. However I will take my friend's advice next time.

the maples I planted with no root ball did fantastic.

HM

17. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Ok all that talk in halfmiles tree thread about deer got me to thinking about the story of the three deer. There was a nine point with 10 does. A six point with 7 does and a spike buck with none. Well out of the woods comes a twelve pointer just a stomping and thrashing the ground like a rototiller he did the pee thing then rubbed the hell out of a sapling and then licked a low hanging branch. The 9 point says I don't think I need all these does, I'll just give him 5 of them. The six point said I'll give him 4 of mine. The spike buck ran over the scarpe and peed, knocked over the rub sapling and reached up and bit off the licking branch and came trotting back to the other two. They both said why did you do that? The spike said I just want to let that big son of a gun know I am a male!!!

18. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I took a class once on planting trees.. a short one but I took it.. the main thing the instructor said was.. never put a $50 tree in a 5 dollar hole.. well I bought 8-10 apple trees, dug $100 holes and planted them.. the second thing he told us was.. never buy root bound trees.. they just wont make it.. 6-7 years later I have 1 apple tree that didnt die.. and it still looks like it did the day i planted it... NOW ON THE OTHER HAND..LOL.. I was at wal mart one day, they were wrapping up the outdoor plant sale and had everything marked way down.. I bought 2 peach trees for $5 each.. took them home and dug a hole with my hand help post hole diggers. just big enough for the roots to fit in.. I'd call it a $5 hole.. never touched them again.. in 3 years the limbs were almost breaking from the load of peaches they produce... why..I have no idea...

19. grntitan

Haskins Bill---Now that is a good deer joke. I will share that with my red Neck friends. LMAO Good one.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.