1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Tree House for Kuhns

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by joe kuhn, Jul 18, 2013.

1. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

The TV show 'Tree House Masters' inspired my son to build one of his own. Here's the floor. Next are the walls and a roof of some type. Kid is always working on it. Good to see him busy with a project.

It's 17 feet from the ground. The ladder will be to the right. Four poles were added for support. I'm encouraging some type of canvas roof to keep it light.

joekuhn_2008_0303185.jpg

2. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Sounds dangerous.

3. joe kuhn

Of course. What fun would it be if it wasn't? I was up there yesterday and it needs some walls real soon, and a ladder. I was scared coming down.

Show me a picture of your tree house if you have one.

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

How old is your son? Boys will be boys and I wouldn't discourage his building. However, keep in mind 17' is a potentially lethal fall. Had a local bow hunter killed this last fall after his 12' ladder stand collapsed. He broke his neck and died before help could arrive. His son found him. That was only 12'. Maybe work on fall protection for the ladder climb. They make all sorts of reasonably priced fall protection units for the hunting world. Check Cabelas or Bass Pro.

5. joe kuhn

Found this fall protection harness. Doesn't seem to fit for a tree house. I was thinking of a tipi shaped thing he might slide down around the tree if he fell.

6. joe kuhn

Storm coming in tomorrow. We'll see how it stands up. Might all be a moot point by the weekend.

Here's another safety life line that lets you down slowly if you fall.

Valid point about the height.

7. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Yeah I know I sound like a party pooper and I never worried about all that when I was a kid. I climbed trees far higher than that with nothing but shorts, t-shirt and tennis shoes on. That said, I like to think we are smarter/safer now. I would hate to see a young kid have to go the rest of his life paralyzed from just having good old tree house fun.

I was bull headed for years hunting from lock on and climber deer stands at 20' and higher with no safety system. I would hear stories about hunters falling but took the it won't happen to me attitude. Then this local hunter who I personally knew died from only 12' and I started thinking about falling and leaving my boys without a dad and my wife a widow. I bought myself a system that slows the fall. I've not hunted with it yet but will this fall. It just makes sense and I don't see how it will interfere with my hunting fun what so ever.

Be supportive of their fun but be insistent in doing it safely.

8. archangel

archangel Member

Joe Im thinking sleep over Mike

9. gsw7880

gsw7880 Member

My neighbor went out fishing for the day. While unloading tackle and coolers slipped off his bumper " ford ranger" maybe 20" off the ground died the next morning. As an Ironworker had my good friend fall 56' landing on all four spent two day's In the hospital . He is currently busy chaseing his six grandchildren around. Safety is safety ..... When it's time it's time. Let those kids go wild and enjoy every minute.

George.

10. joe kuhn

No girls allowed for the sleep over, Mike.

The Tree House Master in me wants to put up a spiral staircase. With some walls, it would then be a lot safer. Holga says, but then the little kids in the neighborhood would just go right up. So maybe we become a gated tree house community.

There's no keeping some of the relatives out.

Joe
    joekuhn_2008_03034.jpg

11. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I maybe built a half dozen tree houses as a kid. And I'm still here. It was great fun as I recall. And I learned a lot about construction with scrap material. When I built anything in my adult life, it was always over built, better than code required. I learned to build strong with those tree houses or they would sail away it a heavy wind.

12. APrice

APrice Active Member

I can see the thread title now: "Common Misunderstanding about Tree Houses."

Maybe we will find answers to:

"Does the wood used in this application have a finite or infinite life?

"Is it better to climb up and remain for long periods of time, or should we go up and down often?"

"Is the ladder stressed when no one is using it?"

"Does the wood "take a set" in this application?"

"If a 2X4 degrades when it is or isn't under tension, is it wearing out?"

I'm sure there are many others.

13. joe kuhn

Good one. How about, should we have built over the central trunk of the tree only? See biggest branch on right. It is an upside down tripod up towards the top and we all know what a triangle does for strength.

joekuhn_2008_0303185.jpg

14. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

What would concern me is the way those 4 X 6 braces are attached to the three separate trunks. Especially the left side trunks. Won't take much wind to pull out those anchors. The constant movement will make that platform unstable pretty quick.

It would have been better building just off that center truck, if not the main reason of it being straight vertical. Less movement. Then bracing the platform from below on the trunk, in a truss like, cross-buck fashion. The platform would move as one, with the tree.

I would not want the kids up there right now, in any kind of wind. Plus depending on how many kids are up there at one time, will make weight a factor. Although the cross braces are strong, the attachment is not sufficient. JMO

Then think of the kids on the ground underneath, if it should fall or give way. Liability of the other friends if something should happen. Wouldn't want to have to sell the "Kuhner" to cover liabilities.

15. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I have to agree with the post above. I built a tree stand like that one ONE time. The wind tore it apart. I even used steel cables to hold the ends It worked OK but the stand out lasted the cables. I have found that use one tree truck and the stand will last. Use two trunks and it will be torn apart. I must have built 50 tree stands in my life time. From 10 feet high to 42 feet high. I will try to find some pic's and post them.

16. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

The first deer stand is cradled in the tree top. That is a good location because the wind will not move the branches as much as if they stand was higher. That stand lasted for 8 years and I rebuilt it once. That was a great stand because it was in a bottom and at a junction of two streams. You were not board(sp). You saw ducks, raccoons, mustrats, hawks, ottersa dn alot of other animals. Everyone who used it loved that stand.

The second stand was located on two logging roads. It wsn't as good as the first for seeing wildlife but it did producr some nice deer.
    auctioneer_2009_050723.jpg

auctioneer_2009_050724.jpg

17. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

When our kids were at the tree house age we only had cedar trees around so that wasn't going to work so we built a fort that was 12 feet off the ground, had it water tight and all, even installed an old swamp cooler I got off a job, they were stylin

18. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

For wind resistance, have him tie the main beams to the tree trunks with several winds of decent rope. Avoid nailing or bolting anything to the tree where possible. The idea is the structure can move somewhat as the tree brances move in the wind without stressing the frame of the house.

Then get some rope 'railings' up while working on the walls up as a deterent to falls. A further safety measure might be a sub platform about 1/2 way to the ground as a way of limiting the potential fall distance.

The safety layard is a nice idea but we all know it won't get used. Part of the fun is surviving the risks. Not easy stuff for a parent to watch but you gotta let go of the reigns sometime.

His construction is a lot better than the crap me and my little buddies use to come up with. We all survived and the worst injury in our treehouse club was a broken arm. (not me)

19. joe kuhn

I appreciate the concept of flexing with the wind. The 4 poles are for main support, but there are screws in the two branches on the left. I'm emphasizing more screws in the poles, but not winning that discussion now.

Today we worked on the ladder. Started with 2 ropes, one on each side, through 3x2 boards as steps. Climbing rope stretches too much. Added 2x4s on the sides like a conventional ladder at the top and rope ladder at the bottom (difficult to see the rope), but that's not working well either. It's just too scary with the rope only part even with it at the bottom. The concept was to get up in the tree and pull the rope part of the ladder up after yourself. A boy needs privacy, you know. He decided those 18 foot 2x4s look pretty good for a conventional ladder all the way up, but they won't fit in the trunk of the Impala. $20 gets a truck. All for another day.

For the walls we are talking deck railing type - 4 foot high. No roof.

joekuhn_2008_0303186.jpg

The best part is he's thinking, talking, discussing, debating. And using muscles. We built forts in the hay and straw mows when I was a kid. We built a free fall trap in front of one of our straw bale huts to keep out the riff-raff. Fooled my brother.

20. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Wow! That first picture looks like the platform is 10 X 12. Now that the boys are in the picture it changes the size, but the principal is still the same. LOL

Like you say, he is thinking, living, and learning. Let a storm roll through then have him carefully inspect his attachments. That may add to his knowledge, and understanding of wind power.

Search tags for this page

three branch treehouse support

tree fort rope railing

tree house ladder

treehouse deer stand

triangle tree house

triangle tree houses

triangular platform treehouse