1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Tree Experts?..(pics)

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by chessney, Mar 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chessney

chessney TS Member

I have this tree in my yard.I have asked people what kind of tree it is and no one has a clue.I'm sure when the leaves come on it would be an easier question to answer..Just thought I'd ask. The bark is real deep like?..Ziggy

<a href="http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u89/chessney1234/?action=view&current=12061142062390.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

2. sako2115

sako2115 TS Member

It's a Prop Tree. Used in scary "B" movies.

3. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Don't know, Ziggy, but I'd stay away from it just in case it's one of those man eating trees. Can't be to careful you know.

[​IMG]

Hauxfan!

4. chessney

chessney TS Member

I have to say, it is real spooky looking...Ziggy

5. dbl20

dbl20 TS Member

If it has long (mostly three branched) thorns, it is likely a Honeylocust. The one behind looks to be a White pine. Jon Sharp

6. Rem870TB

Rem870TB Active Member

Sweetgum?

See page 4 of the website for details of the bark on the branches.

The bark looks a lot like the two sweetgums I have here.

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

Jon Sharp - With your background I would have thought you could identify the tree with only a glance.

Pat Ireland

8. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

You could always call an arbortariumistic expert in the area and ask them to come out and look at the tree and while they are there they could also cure it of evil spirits ... ya know the last time I saw a tree like that the local Gnome population used to have a deep cavern hollowed out underneath it and they used it for there Gnomatic Worship and ... well ... it was an evil scraggly tree that when it was cut down made an evil hiss and demons oozed from its stump.

Ya know maybe it is best just to not know what it really is.

9. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Ought to be able to get a couple nice stocks out of that.

10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Does it have a trunk? All I see is limbs. Take another picture from further back, that might help.

HM

11. chessney

chessney TS Member

Rem870: I would have to say it is not a sweetgum,only because it never had those large seed looking things on it...I'll take some more pics of it....Ziggy

12. porky

porky TS Member

If you took a picture of the tree with or without leaves, it is identifiable almost all the time. If this isn't a joke (and it does look like one) I would say that the limbs look as if they might be from a Black Locust, but the bark isn't exactly right and that is why a picture of the entire tree is necessary to be sure.

13. butch's90t

butch's90t Member

It looks similar to a pin oak I have in my front yard (IA). The limbs toward the ends have this fissured texture.

14. wal-knott

wal-knott TS Member

Chessney I believe this tree to be in the Elm family WALKNOTT

i

15. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

looks like a recalled tree from China with lead in it.

16. chessney

chessney TS Member

OK, here is the whole tree. I will also take pics when the leaves grow. A nieghbor said that when I find out the kind of tree it is,I should put a bronze plack in front of it...Ziggy

<a href="http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u89/chessney1234/?action=view&current=12061473699670.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

17. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

I'm tending to side with butch's90T. Maybe a local variation of such. Where in what is the tree located. Any dead leaves around the base? Maybe under the pine tree?

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

18. chessney

chessney TS Member

Yes I think...I'll check in the morning and take a pic if their not too bad....Ziggy

19. chessney

chessney TS Member

I found one under the pine tree.When it's green, it's 1/3rd bigger then this...Ziggy

<a href="http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u89/chessney1234/?action=view&current=12061530477451.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

20. Tom Ruble

Tom Ruble TS Member

Those leaves look like they grew on a sweetgum tree once upon a time. Break 'em all! Tom Ruble

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.