1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Treatment of reclaimed shot

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Holypatterns, Nov 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Holypatterns

Holypatterns TS Member

Question for a better chemist than I am............. I have access to reclaimed shot that performs well enough for me at the 16 yd line. A good many of the pellets have acquired a coating of lime over the years and I want to get rid of it in the cleaning process. So the question is whether I can safely prewash with ordinary household vinegar(?). I read somewhere that lead acetate is bad news, that it can be absorbed through the skin.

Thanx much

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

Almost all lead oxide is red. The white form of lead oxide is formed at very high temperatures. The white coating I have seen on shot is lead carbonate. It is best removed by abrasion. Use care not to get a lot of lead dust on you. The shot will shoot just as well with the white coating as it will without the white coating. I see little to be gained by removing it. If it is just a color thing you don't like, coat the white shot with graphite and you will not see the white anymore.

Pat Ireland

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

PS- If you must try a chemical treatment, an acid is the wrong way to go. You would need a base. Sodium hydroxide might help and it is available as white pellets used to unplug sewer drains (Draino or other brands). I would not advise you to try this.

Pat Ireland

4. capvan

capvan Active Member

OK, I've got about 30 lbs. of reclaimed shot. Every color under the sun. Where would I buy some powdered graphite? I think it might be worthwhile to help the stuff go thru the reloader. Was kind of a pain to reclaim. Lots of rinsing. Not sure I'll do it again. Total of 5, 5-gal. pails of "stuff" yielded the 30 lbs. of shot.

Bruce

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

30 pounds of reclaimed shot, after it is nice and clean is worth just a little over $20. Graphite is available at a farm supply store. I would shoot the reclaimed shot at practice or the first shot of doubles. Do not pattern the stuff, as I did, or you will not use it for anything.

Pat Ireland

6. capvan

capvan Active Member

I just paid $40 for the last bag of shot the place had. And they didn't know when/if they were going to get more. So, it sounds like my reclaimed stuff is worth around $50. I agree, not worth it. But I have a LOT of time on my hands. No jobs for old folks here in Vermont...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.