1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Treasure found in mother in laws attic!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, May 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

My wife asked me to help her clean out her mother's home over the weekend. Her mom passed away and let's just say this was a task that no one was looking forward to.

The day was going slowly by and after eating lunch my wife asked if I would climb up into her mother's attic and see whats up there? I told my wife I could hardly fit through the hole in the ceiling and declined.

I pulled the ladder down and my wife climbed up and said it was filled with old clothes and boxes. My wife was handing me some of the stuff she found and one was a unmarked large shoe box. I asked her what is in the box and she said junk of my brothers, baseball cards.

My wife's brothers collected baseball cards here in Milwaukee like most kids in the 50's and 60's. I opened up the box and cards were rubber banded together by teams. Cards back then were a nickle and you could still smell the bubble gum on the cards along with a musty smell.

The cards were dry, in very good condition minus the musty smell. My heart started pumping fast as he had most of the 1957 Braves players and the team card, along with others years from 1955 to 1965.

I told my wife that these cards might be worth some money today. I told my wife to call her brothers and tell them what we found. Both brothers said they always wondered what happened to their baseball cards?

One of them picked them up last night from our house and even though he's my age, I could tell it was 1957 all over again as he was going through the cards.

Like children of that time, we took a hand full of cards and showed my wife how we flipped cards with our friends as children, and how we would attempt to trade baseball cards with friends in order to obtain the full set of cards.

My wife was unimpressed, until she ran across her old Barbie doll and saw that her younger sister cut barbies hair off with a scissor.

We did not finish cleaning out the attic, but I can't wait to finish the job to see what other treasures are up there from a time long gone.

Living in Milwaukee at that time, and having players like Hank Aaron, Eddie Matthews, Bob Buehl, Lou Burdette, Red Schoendienst, and many others, children could have real heroes, as the players usually stuck playing their entire career with the same team.

Who knows what is still up in that attic?
    Steve Balistreri

2. avery53

avery53 Member

Wow, great find! Wish I'd been smart enough to save all of mine. lol

3. senior smoke

avery53:
    I wish I would have saved mine too. Believe or not, all my friends in my neighborhood when we were around 8 years old had 100% wool Milwaukee Braves baseball uniforms, tops and bottoms, with the hat etc. In July, we would walk around the neighborhood in these uniforms sweating profusely.

We thought we looked very cool, especially when we played baseball at the nearby playground. We played in the summer months morning to night. When we got to bat, we would say who we were batting, as I was always Hank Aaron or Joe Adcock. Some of the children of today do not know what they are missing by always staying indoors playing with computer games.
    Steve

4. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

Back then the "Braves" were American League?

Chuck

5. senior smoke

Chuck:
    They were in the National league back then. In 1970 when Bud Selig brought the Seattle Pilots to Milwaukee, they were placed in the American League. Bud Selig volentered to place the current day Brewers in the National league at a later date to help out major league baseball when there was a need to even out the number of teams.
    Steve

6. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

I had left all my baseball cards in a shoe box in my mothers attic when I moved out and got married . They were from the early 50`s thru the 60`s and mostly New York Yankees, Dodgers and Giants . All in pristene condition . I had my first child and figured I go get them and start a nice collection for when he could appreciate them . Well, my sister decided to have a garage sale and she found and sold every last one for a penny a piece . Broke my heart since they are worth a small fortune now .

7. lots of 24's

lots of 24's Member

Henry Aaron rookie card ought to be worth some money. Had to be around 1954 or so.

8. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Sigh, my cousins borrowed my complete collection of Mad Magazine that ran to about 1964 at the time, including comic book original editions. They promised to return the collection. They never did; their mother threw it out 'cause a cleaner home was more important to her. Well the comics and magazines were only material things. Yeah, right..

Congrats on finding paper gold.

(Oh, Barbie Dolls and G.I. Joe stuff? Early stuff very collectable, Barbie was, I believe, invented by a Mrs. Handler for her grandaughter. Harry Handler, her husband, was one time superintendent of the LA City Schools. When I worked for the LAUSD, he was the best super. Very brilliant man, a professor, and very successful family. (Matel))

9. senior smoke

ljutic111:
    Sorry to hear that. They were worth some serious money. When I was going through my brother in laws cards I noticed he had some cards that showed the ball player inside a television screen?
    Steve

lots of 24's:
    It may have been 1957 but one year Hank Aaron's baseball card showed him batting left handed.
    Steve

Chango2:
    I hate when people borrow things and don't return them.
    Steve

10. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

Still have my 50's and 60's baseball and football cards. The best gun trade I have ever made was trading a broken cap rifle for 1000 baseball cards from this era. That kid's mother sure was mad.

11. lots of 24's

lots of 24's Member

I used to have a card that had almost all of Hank Aarons career stats on it. One of the years had a mistake printed. Made it alot more valuable. My brother used it for coaster to sit his dripping wet beer glass on.

12. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I wonder how many "Mickey Mantle" and "Willie Mays" rookie cards were used - to turn bicycles into motorcycles?? LOL

My brother had a complete collection of baseball cards, so to be different I started collecting marbles. I had keep them in a large bucket in the attica. I was at a flea market a few years ago and found out they were worth some money. Went to Mom's house and started looking for em, She gave em away to the kid across the street, 25 years ago. The kid is now a chemical engineer, he don't need the money, should I call and ask for em back? LOL. Time flies.

Time are different, aren't they? Every street had their own baseball team. We would play it all day, then at night gather around and listen to Harry Carey on a transitor radio doing the Cardinal games. While listening to the games we would have contests to see who could swat the most flies. I still wouldn't trade childhoods with today's kids.

13. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Steve, back when I was a little kid(early to mid 50's) my dad was a pitcher for the Braves farm team in Waycross Ga. They gave out baseball cards on a regular basis, unfortunately I was only interested in the gum that was in the pack. Sure wish I had those cards today. LOL Jackie B.

14. senior smoke

Shooting Jack:
    Nice to hear that your father pitched for the Braves in the minors. Would you believe that I could still smell the bubble gum on my brother in law's cards. I think we got 7 cards for 5 cents a pack back then.

When I was a kid, my mom would give me $2.00 to take my brother to County stadium here in Milwaukee to see the Braves play. The bus ride was 10 cents each, tickets were 50 cents each, a hot dog was 25 cents and a coke was 10 cents.

I played organized baseball as a child. When the Braves had an off day, some of the Brave's players would come by and help our coach out, as my couch was friends with some of the players. One day even Harvey Kuenn came by as he was in town for something. Later in life, Harvey's daughter worked at our bank as a receptionist.
    Steve

15. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Steve
    I was a baseball card dealer in the 70's and 80's. I did many shows in Detroit, Cleveland,Toledo,Indianapolis, Dayton etc. I had the pleasure of meeting and talking to many hall of famers. Kaline,Kell, Feller,Rose,Mays,Yaz,Mantle,Ford,Ali,and many more. There was money to be made in cards and I did pretty good. Speculators kept the prices high. Then more card companies came in. They got greedy and overproduced. Then the speculators panicked and bailed out and the market nearly collapsed. 1985-87 was about the last good years. Topps,one of the older Companies, is one of the few survivors. Prices never have recovered except the early 1950's and earlier. It was fun while it lasted.
    Clyde Doll

16. senior smoke

Clyde:
    I got to meet Ali back in 1979 or 1980. He was in Milwaukee watching a golden gloves boxing tournament. We also had a new store open up at that time, and the owner hired Ali to sign autographs for a short time.

As I was standing in line with my daughter in my arms to get his autograph, some gruff black man was directing people not to get to close to the champ. Around a year later I found out that man was no other than Mr. T (pity the fool).
    Steve

17. quicky

quicky Member

I was young but my Dad took me to see Warren Spahn with the Milwaukee Braves. It was 'Warren Spahn' night and the first pitch he threw went out of the park. He lost 9 to 3 if my memory is correct (now, what did I have for dinner last night...?). I think it was '63 or '64. Quicky

18. senior smoke

Quicky:
    When I was a kid my father got a hold of 2 box seat tickets, 4 rows to the right of the visitors dugout on the 3rd base side at Milwaukee County stadium. Warren Spahn was pitching that day against the Phillies.

The manager of the Phillies was Gene Mach at that time and he was swearing up a storm because he thought that Spahn was balking. He had a big argument with the umpire and he was tossed out of the game.

My dad was upset because I heard every name in the book coming out of Mach's mouth that day. The Braves won that game.
    Steve

19. Fowlgunner

Fowlgunner Member

Steve,

The cards that had the players inside the TV set were 1955 Bowman cards.

Oddly enough, the Umpire cards from that set are the most sought after in higher condition.

Will

20. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

I met Warren Spahn at a card show I was set up in Detroit. Had him sign a bat & gave it to my grandson. Clyde

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.