1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Tread about TSA was embarrased at first to post

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by striper, Oct 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. striper

striper Member

I never even told my wife that story esp the part about being detained by the police and she has no idea the cost of replacing the Briley chokes but there are lots of gun related things she knows nothing about. I am so glad that I posted the story because I see that others have had horror stories with the TSA as well. I have also laughed my ass off at a few of the comments made by fellow members.I have also learned a hard lesson that common sense has no bearing on dealing with the Govt employees. Thanks to all for the info and humor.

2. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

striper: you are the one with no common sense....in this day and age, why would you even think to bring a gun related part in your carry on baggage, or mention it was a gun part.

3. brent375hh

brent375hh TS Member

Gun related part? The screws that hold a butt pad on are about as much as a gun related part as a choke tube, and they are pointy to boot.

4. JOND

JOND TS Member

Did you try to go thru security with your trigger finger? For shame! JOND

5. JPSemper

JPSemper Member

Once, on our way to an IPSC tournament in Florida, about 12 of us were checking into O'Hare United Air. After about 3 of us checked in, one after another, the United ticket agent as "How many are there with guns"? We told her 12 in all, and she stopped what she was doing and called the Chicago police. all of a sudden we were surrounded by Chicago's finest. Fortunately, one of us was a Chicago Police Detective plus throw in a couple of FBI agents, and DOD officers, the situation was quickly fixed. The Sergeant in charge assured the ticket agent we were all legal and to continue processing us. She got the final laugh by having the word "GUN" printed on every bag check ticket.

BTW, since we flew about 4 times a year, we learned a long time ago to ship our ammo and pocket knives ahead to our hotel. We hardly ever got hassled by TSA because we never carried anything that could be questioned. Since I been shooting ATA around the country, I bag check everything but my eye and ear protection. I fly in and out of O'Hare and have never had a problem with TSA. AS a matter of fact, the people that handle American Air are pretty nice while being professional.....

I can't say the same for ticket agents though.

John Semprini

6. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

"all of a sudden we were surrounded by Chicago's finest. Fortunately, one of us was a Chicago Police Detective plus throw in a couple of FBI agents, and DOD officers, the situation was quickly fixed."

ok well I work for DoD and the officers that are employed by any DoD agency do not patrol airports LOL so you are embellishing your "story" a little bit there....

"Gun related part? The screws that hold a butt pad on are about as much as a gun related part as a choke tube, and they are pointy to boot."

and so are the screws in my briefcase....your point is? He should had said something else, and not mention it was parts for his shotgun if he didnt want to pack it into his checked luggage. Duh, common sense!!

7. 4EVRYOUNG

4EVRYOUNG Member

I think he was saying that a couple of the people he was with were DOD's not that DOD's came to surround them.

8. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

Copy that....

9. JPSemper

JPSemper Member

Members of our group flying to the match were DoD.

John S.

10. JPSemper

JPSemper Member

Members of our group flying to the match were DoD.

John S.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.