1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Traveling with primers gets man arrested!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pyrdek, Dec 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Check out the last line! What kind of "license" do you need to "travel" with ammunition? I also like the way they phrased it. "they IGNITED" Pardon me but primers detonate. They don't ignite!

MIAMI – A 37-year-old man is facing a federal charge after bullet primers ignited in his bag as it was being unloaded at Miami International Airport from a flight that had just arrived.

FBI spokesman Mike Leverock says there is no connection to terrorism. The man is a naturalized U.S. citizen who was traveling Tuesday on an American Airlines flight from Boston to Miami and on to Jamaica. His name was not immediately released.

Leverock says several hundred bullet primers were discovered inside the bag after some ignited. No one was injured, although a few small shards struck the shoe of a baggage handler.

The man was being held on a charge of traveling in interstate commerce without a license to carry ammunition.

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Yep saw this on CNN this afternoon. Some people have some 'splaining to do.

Matt

3. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Something obviously isnt right with the explanation

Regards from Iowa

Gene

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

My understanding was it was NOT a carry-on bag. It had been checked and loaded with the baggage in the planes hold or was meant to be anyway.

Matt

5. Duck Head

Duck Head TS Member

If the News Hawks can't get this right how can you take stock in what they say about anything else? What a bunch of stupid prostitutes for a pay check!

6. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

One of those baggage handlers could set off wet powder. Ever see how they 'handle' your bags? Jim

7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    This idiot is going to be made an example of.

8. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote><I>"If the News Hawks can't get this right how can you take stock in what they say about anything else?"</i></blockquote>Don't make it sound like they intentionally screw up facts.

These people aren't experts on what they write about; they get a phone call or get handed a police report and told "write a piece around this...you have a half hour". They do what they can to get the essence of the incident into print.

It's a lot like what's been written in this thread so far... sensationalized and attention-grabbing but WAAAY far from well-informed or technically accurate.

MK

9. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

So the big question is how did he get them on the plane in the first place. Does this mean that unless it is in a carry on bag it doesn't go through a metal detector????

If it doesn't what is all this x-ray and pat down crap about. So again how did he get them on the plane?????

Bob Lawless

10. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

As far as I can tell, and the articles are not real clear, he had bulk primers and not factory ammo, and it was in his checked baggage.

If you have ever ordered reloading supplies to be shipped to you, there is a HazMat fee on a sleeve of primers that is not applicable to factory boxed shells due to the volitility of the primers.

You are allowed up to 11 lbs of factory boxed ammo in checked baggage, as many of you already know. I don't think you are allowed to stuff a sleeve of primers (or even a box of primers) in your checked baggage.

The articles are not well written with regard to clarity and detail, but I believe this has way more to do with aircraft safety (there are a lot of things you are not allowed to put in the cargo hold of an aircraft)than any 2nd Amendment issues.

11. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

The bigger question here is this: Why did he have ANY primers in his luggage at all? Seems like anyone that has lived anywhere in the US would know, especially after 9/11, that something like this is an absolute no-no..... The guy deserves whatever he gets, as far as I'm concerned. I don't want ANYONE on any flight I'm taking, to have any loose primers, of any sort, in their luggage, carry on or not. Would you want your family to be traveling over Christmas on a plane with someone that has a bunch of primers floating around in his bags. I'm trying, for the life of me, to figure out an explaination for why he would have them, but, I can't think of anything that would be good.. Just my opinion..... Dan Thome (Trap2)

12. trinketshooter

trinketshooter TS Member

The guy may have taken them out of their original packaging and put them all in a container, which you are not supposed to do, for exactly the reason we all saw on the news. Supposedly, static electricity can cause detonation. Neil

13. Anchorsteam

Anchorsteam TS Member

They may have been loose, or became 'loose' during bag jostling. One or more could have been wedged in a compressible nook or cranny and when the bag was jostled or tossed during handling, it went off. Crushing a primer the wrong way can cause it to light off. Primers have a signficant amount a zap to them when they go.

'splaining yes.

But TSA will look goofy too - they were not caught during the bag xray or exam. Loaded ammo used to be able to bring thru if you declared it - not sure now though.

14. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

RE: Why did he have ANY primers in his luggage at all?

He might be one of the trapshooters.com posters that advises people on this site when the question is asked on how to ship firarms and say's to ship them as machine parts.

No one will ever know....

15. mx2k33

mx2k33 Well-Known Member

Congratulations! This guy will be immortalized by the media as a "typical firearms owner" and our new ambassador of responsible firearms and ammunition ownership when the next major debate arises.

16. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

If the spent 45 casing bouncing off the roof of the shooting shed couldnt ignite one how could these possible ignite?

17. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Airlines wil let you ship loaded ammo - NOT flammable components such as powder or primers.

Regardless, they must be declared at check in - be it ammo or a firearm.

This was an international flight to Jamaica, which has some really tough firearms laws.

I suspect he was trying to sneak them in for family or friends.

His bad.

18. slic lee

slic lee Active Member

As of today on Fox news I saw no primers but they showed a loaded rifle cartridge, nickle plate it looked like, stating this is what he had in his luggage,but, however, how can this be, if that was what exploded who got shot, where did the bullet go orrr, is the entire story made up. Lee, who doesnt trust any TSA, ATF stories.

19. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Bullets don't go anywhere, unless they are in a gun. HMB

20. brownk80

brownk80 Member

If this guy had loose primers in his luggage and an impact of some kind set them off he deserves everything he gets. I hate Forrest Gump but as he said, "Stupid is as stupid does".

Brownk80

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.