1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Traveling with firearms (Flying)

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Frank C, Apr 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

I have flown with my Trap gun many times with no issues but now I wish to fly with both a wood stock and also a PFS (the stock would be bare, NO metal attached) they will not both fit in my Aluminum case.

the question:

Should I mount the wood stock back onto the gun and pack the PFS in my checked luggage, or pack the wood in the luggage?

I don't want to have inspection issues with either of the two in my "checked" baggage and have either "confiscated". It should not matter what is in my checked baggage but I have no hope for TSA and their foolish screenings.

Maybe I should just ship one to my hotel via UPS? Comments?? Frank C

2. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Checked baggage should be no problem

Gene

3. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

I would just ship the wood stock UPS. This would avoid any potential questions.

Whatever you do, do not try to take the PFS separately on the plane. There are many Trap shooters that don't know what that is. Imagine the questions you will get from the ignorant TSA agent. By leaving it attached to the gun it at least has some semblance of a regular gun.

4. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

You don't say where you are going nor where you are traveling from - this may matter.

Neither do you state which airline(s) you will be flying on - this is very relevant.

I travel constantly for work - most of it internationally. You need to check the airlines web site and be in direct contact with them relative to their firearms policy (most U S carriers have similar regs, but it is on you to check and verify).

Relative to the firearm itself the "receiver" is really the weapon - any 'parts' are not considered as such, but some TSA agent or check in agent, or gate agent may have a differing view of this. I have travelled with all kinds of 'parts - including barrels as normal, checked luggage with no issues.

I have flown with stocks in my regular luggage and my carry on luggage with no issues at all - pack it well - be sure to suport to two sides of the wood at the receiver end - I have also carried forearms in my carry on luggage, again with no issue.

Issues arrise when you are traveling with a 'firearm' or 'ammunition.'

Use common sense here - are you travelling in 'gun friendly' territory or not??

Can you pack the stock in checked luggage - if so, do so. Why open yourself up to the hassle if there is no need to do so?? The times I have carried stocks in my carry on were when I was meeting someone at an intermediate airport and did not want to have to claim luggage and then check in again.

Your best bet is to be in touch with the airline directly. If you don't hear what you like don't be afraid to call back later in that another operator may have a different view (been there, done that).

5. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

Howdy Y'all,
    While at Florida State Shoot a couple of weeks ago we(my son,and I)went through about 1200 STS's.We weren't going just pitch 'em,so we figured we just bring 'em back with us like we had done in the past.This time we were flying Air Tran......the last time to be sure.When we checked in they said we couldn't take the shells with us because they were hazerdous material.
    They called the local police,and told them about he situation.The Police officers agreed with us that the shells weren't dangerous,and should be allowed on the plane.We were told it was company policy.......period.
    I stood there crying as the officers halled our shells away as we couldn't just throw them away at the airport.Air Tran my ass!......Southwest is going to get my business from now on.

D.P.Reynolds

6. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Just watch out for those retractable roof panels my friend--could blow a fellers toupee off!

Guy

7. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

UPS it is, even the THOUGHT of carrying a wood stock on a plane in checked baggage is ludicrous, they will either consider it a gun part= confiscated -OR- call it a possible bludgeon, same result. If they confiscate choke tubes, the stock would be gone in a muzzle flash....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.