1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Traveling w/Concealed Weapons Permit

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by blackfoot, Nov 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blackfoot

blackfoot Member

Is there a source for which states honor each others concealed weapons permits. I will be traveling this winter across many western states including California and would like to keep my permitted handgun in my auto.
    Thanks in advance!

2. C Prince

C Prince TS Member

The above site may help.

Chad

3. setter

setter Member

Reciprocity.

4. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Short answer- dont bet on it

regards from Iowa

Gene

5. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

California's the worst for any suggestion of reciprocity and the west is not generally all that cooperative anyway.....breakemall...Bob Dodd

6. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Also depends on which state(s) permits you hold.

7. BrowningGal

BrowningGal TS Member

setter... That's a good informational site. Thanks for posting the link. I travel from TX to MI twice a year for visits. I wasn't aware the MI yet honored the TX license. Now, I just have have avoid IL...

Thanks!

8. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Check your Attorney General's website (if they have one.)

In Kansas, the AG's website has a listing of states that reciprocate for Kansas CC permit holders.

9. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

I travel through a lot of states by car, Illinois included. My gun is in the back of my vehicle, cased, unloaded, and separate from the ammo. Whether or not you're in a state that has reciprocity with yours, or even has a CCW permit law of it's own, the chance that the police officer that stops you knows all or even some of the CCW rules is slim. No one know CCW rules as well as we do, because no one else cares.
    If I'm stopped, I don't want a hassle, and I don't want to PO a cop who might have otherwise let me off for what he stoppled me for in the first place..
    If I'm someplace where I have reason to think I might need my weapon, then it's locked, loaded, and right where I can get to it.

10. blackfoot

blackfoot Member

Thanks for the great info! My CWP is from Washington and it looks like Ca.,Oregon, and Nevada are a problem but the i should be OK in the rest of the states.
    I was just wondering what the snow birds do when they head south.This was something i didn't want to take a chance on: get pulled over for a tail light bulb and end up w/ a felony!

11. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Blackfoot: Not a chance, you better check again (NY, Ohio, Penn, ect).

12. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

I have to say I am not against carrying a gun of any kind, handgun, long gun, what ever. With that being said I have to ask this question.

dickgtax

"I travel through a lot of states by car, Illinois included. My gun is in the back of my vehicle, cased, unloaded, and separate from the ammo. Whether or not you're in a state that has reciprocity with yours, or even has a CCW permit law of it's own"

If this is how you bring your handgun with you on a trip why bother? You certainly can't protect yourself with it isn't it excess baggage? Just a question as I see I wouldn't bother to take it as see no useful purpose for the gun.

Bob Lawless

13. Dickgshot

Bob,
    When I'm on the tollway in the middle of the day, I don't figure I'm going to need my Glock holstered and ready to draw. If my car breaks down, and I'm in East St. Louis in the middle of the night, that's quite a bit different.
    I thought my post was quite clear on that. Maybe it wasn't, or are you just stirring the pot?

14. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

dickgtax I didn't find it that clear as some state don't even recognize a CCW unless you are actually carrying concealed

I guess the part that confused me most was " If I'm someplace where I have reason to think I might need my weapon, then it's locked, loaded, and right where I can get to it."

Lastly if I was stirring the pot you would have known it in the first sentence. Are that touchy about the subject if so maybe you shouldn't post at all?

Now tell me does that question irritate you? Yours irritated me all I did was ask a simple question. How do you stir the pot on a thread about advice on CCW?

Bob Lawless

15. Dickgshot

Depending on the State, a gun is concealed when it is loaded and on the person or readily accessible in a vehicle -meaning it is within reach. That is when the CCW rules apply.
    When it is broken down, cased, and out of reach-like in a trunk-you are
    simply legally transporting a weapon, and the CCW rules do not apply - even if you have a CCW permit.
    If I were stopped, I would tell the policeman that I have a CCW, and I am transporting a weapon, but it is not concealed. Even though the rules don't require this, in North Carolina I have been told that I need to immediately inform the policeman that I have a CCW, and whether or not I have a concealed weapon, If I am driving my own car, he can tell from my license plate that I have a CCW.
    The rules vary from state to state, and, as I stated earlier, my guess is that if you asked ten different policeman what the rules were, you'd get ten different answer.

16. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

Best Advice I can see on this thread is that you should check with each state you intend to travel through. The following site provides some good info on which states recognize which states permits, and under what conditions.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

But as some have said, whether or not some local cop understands or cares about his state laws can be problematic. While all of the sites mentioned try to keep information current, only be checking with that particular state before you travel/carry can you be reasonably sure of complying with the ever changing laws.

17. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

If Obama gets his way, you and I won't have our CPL's / CCW's to worry about carring to the corner store.

Jerbear

18. FN in MT

FN in MT TS Member

As a retired State Trooper....check the various CCW and State AG sites. I would suggest making a COPY of the info on the STATE AG sites. That way if stopped and the LEO has a question You have the info in black and white.

There are States (as well as CANADA) that simply HATE guns and a guy can really get into hotwater quickly. Best to be prepared and informed.

FN in MT

19. panthers314

panthers314 TS Member

In NC your CWP# is your DL#....so if you are pulled over you better tell..............

20. jerryw

jerryw TS Member

It is my understanding tha in Texas you are required to show them your CCW license when stopped only if you are carrying. However they will know immediately when they run your DL number. My instructor suggests giving them both if you are carrying or not.

Jerry Walker

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.