1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Traveling to San Fransico,then to vagas

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Art D, Aug 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Art D

Art D Member

Will I have any problems traveling by Air with my Trap gun to California and then to Vegas> I use a traveing case with TSA locks and Straps.

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

You shouldn't if you follow the TSA rules. You should check with the airlines involved to see what their policy is about firearms as baggage. That said I would be more concerned about the baggage handlers and the potential loss due to theft once the case goes down the baggage chute.

Eric

3. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Art -

TSA locks (the kind that TSA can open) are NOT acceptable for firearm cases. A firearm case must be locked with a lock that only the owner can open. TSA will ask you to lock the case either before or after they screen it (depends on the airport and what type of equipment they have).

Scott

4. Art D

Art D Member

Good Idea Thank you

5. cafowler

cafowler Member

Where are you flying to SFO from?

As noted above, get rid of those TSA locks, they are the only problem I've ever had traveling with my gun.

Are you just transferring in SFO, or are you staying there for a few days. There's lots of good places to shoot not to far from SFO; Martinez Gun Club, and United Sportsmen for trap or skeet, Coyote Valley and Birds Landing for Sporting.

The Vegas airport can get really busy on a Sunday afternoon or evening as everyone heads home. You need to allow 10-15 minutes to wait to make sure your gun clears the TSA check after you check in any other bags at the counter. They'll ask you to take the gun case down to the end of the ticket counter and hand it to the TSA guys directly. They take it in back to scan it, and ask you stand by and wait for the 10-15 minutes in case they need the keys to get into the case. It's not uncommon depending on weather conditions and fully loaded planes for a guncase to not make it on your flight home. Certain weather is not good for the planes lift, either cold or hot, I don't remember. They have a central Car Rental center which is off the grounds. The shuttles take you back and forth. It can take up to an hour from the time you drive into the Care Return lane until you get checked in for your flight, so allow plenty of time to back to the airport.

Good luck with at your shoot.

6. shooter99

shooter99 Well-Known Member

Ship the gun to Steve at the Las Vegas Gun Club. Alot of people do for the big shoots there. This way you don't have to worry about those Dumb A$$ Liberal baggage handlers in Komiefornia that will try and destroy you fine gun.

7. BigBruno

BigBruno TS Member

I would ship it, but I doubt anybody would set out to destroy your gun.

8. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Oh yeah?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGc4zOqozo

9. shooter99

shooter99 Well-Known Member

If you don't ship your gun MAKE SURE IT IS INSURED!!!!!

10. BigBruno

BigBruno TS Member

Ahab, that's funny!!! Which window were you looking out of?

11. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

I travel in back and forth to Las Vegas many times a year on all different airlines with a shotgun and NEVER have had a problem. All airlines will inspect it at the counter, fill the card out, put in case, lcok it and they put it on theri converyor belt to luggage. Agents will sometimes ask you to stand by for 10 -15 minutes. NEVER been asked for a key. TSA is at each airline baggage in the back. Matter of fact I have traveled all over the world with a gun and never a problem. Just have a good case to protect it. To the airlines today, a gun is just another piece of luggage. At your destination, if it doesn't come off on the conveyor, they will bring it to the airline baggage office by the conveyor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.