1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Traveling to Military Base with Shotguns. What to

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pyrdek, Jul 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

I have been asked a question and I do not know the answer so if you have a answer, I would love to hear it or suggestions.

A trapshooter is traveling and planning to hit a few ATA shoots along the way. He is traveling by car. His travels will require him to visit a couple of military bases during his travels. These bases do not allow private firearms unless you are active military, law enforcement or living on base. He is noe of the\ose. He was in the Air Force but that was close to thirty years ago and is not a retired vet.

Now the problem. Since he will not be allowed on base with guns and yet the guns must ravel with him, what to do?

Does anyone offer secure storage for a one or two day time off base near any of the Air Force bases in the Denver - Colorado Springs area? Is there some other option that could be used? He will be traveling in Early August with a stop at the Grand planned on the return trip if that helps.

Any answers or suggestions appreciated

2. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Some bases that have ranges allow you to register firearms on that base if you are going to the range-

He should call now and talk to base gun clubs if they have them

Why would he go to military bases if he isnt a retired military person? How does he even know they will let him on those bases?

Something is missing in this equation

Gene

3. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Check out the pawn shops. Maybe able to store it there. Always a ton of them around bases and they are secure.

4. Chugiakshooter

Chugiakshooter Member

You can register your gun at the gate,serial number type of gun and barrel or barrels length and they will take your picture,do it all the time at Ft. Richarson Army Base as a none military person.

5. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

I work on an Air Force base and have been working for the Air Force for over 25 years.

What is his purpose at the bases? Is he a contractor or a DOD Civilian?

I can only speak for how an Air Force base will allow this. At any Air Force base, you can store your firearm in the armory while you are there.

The advice to call the bases ahead of time is a good one. They will answer all your questions.

6. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

I agree with Gene

The military base I work on will not allow anyone on base without a Dept of Defense Common Access Card (for civilians working on base, retired Vets., retired DoD personnel, or family members of military personnel living on base) or current military ID. They also do not allow privately owned firearms on base. The base i work on is co-commanded by the Navy and Airforce. The Navy gate guards will not allow anyone through without a current valid vehicle decal and CAC. The AirForce guards at the other end of the base are more laxed and will not hassle you if you do not have a vehicle decal.

I am curious as to how your friend will be able to visit a military installation without having any purpose of being there to begin with. I think he will run into some trouble with base security at the gate. Better for him to directly call the base security and ask about this.

7. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

I would also add to your friend to not try to cover up the firearms/ammo underneath other items in his vehicle and try to sneak them onto base. If the guards do a search of his vehicle and see these items covered up, they will confiscate them and he will have a really hard time getting those back in a timely manner. With the recent incidents of Joe Blow civilians trying to gain access to military bases with suspecting intentions, I would think the gate guards will be scrutinizing these type of people a lot more now.

8. Shipbuilder

Shipbuilder TS Member

When I have had this issue I have contacted the Security Director and was given a letter (or E Mail) that allowed me to store the firearm ( a shotgun) in my car . I was a Government employee at the time with all the id and a security clearance etc.

I think it varies from base to base and is up to the CO and Security Director.

Jim

9. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

You will encounter more than one protocol.

Best bet is the range officer or the recreation officer, and attempt to store on base while you are there.

If you are only there a short time, check the airlines for secure storage for a couple days. a 2 day layover may convince them to keep your stuff secure.

HM

10. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

To fill in some of the blanks.

Ctreay,: Following your suggestion, I took a look on the Internet at some of the self-storage areas around Colorado Springs. It might be a possibility. He will have to talk with them about a short term rental of a small storage area. Most of the info on the web covered longer term storage. So that may or may not be an answer.

GN7777.. He was not planning on doing any shooting at either of the two bases he will be visiting so he didn't even think about that approach. He will try to make that contact and see if there is a club at either place and if that approach is viable.

Sernv99: Why the visit? He is involved in a group of veterans that manned Air Force Radar sites in the North Atlantic area. Peterson AFB (Colorado Springs) has a museum that is dedicated to the NORAD and Cold War service. He has a display that he created, on display at this museum. He thought it would be nice to see it since he was in the area on other business. The other base is the AF Academy. They too have a visitor center and he would like to include that since it is only a few miles away from Peterson.

He will not take the guns on base unless and until a legal manner is found to do so. He is thinking, if it is possible, to park off base property and walk, bus or cab, to the Museum.

Resmstar 311. I will mention Pawn Shops but I suspect he would be only willing to try this if it was the last and only resort.

Rastoff, Chugiakshooter
    ... He did call ahead to both bases. He was already aware that to gain access to Peterson he would have to provide positive ID 24 to 72 hours in advance of his visit (time depends on particular day of the visit) and he called both bases. The Visitor Control Center at Peterson said no entry with guns, no provision for checking guns with any on-base storage period. A similar
    response for the AF Academy Security Police where the Visitors Center transferred the call. There were a few provisions that would allow guns on base such as military/DOD ID card, Dependent living on base sponsoring your visit with firearms stored in their residence, law enforcement, federal agency empowered to be armed and such. No niche he could fit into.

halfmile: Not thought of but will be looked into. See response to Gn777.. He is traveling by car so checking it with the airline is not an option.

Thanks to all for your responses. I will let you know if we can find a good solution to this problem.

11. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Under those circumstances, if it was me, I'd look in the average book for registered ATA shooters living in the area and call a few of them. I'm sure they would be more than happy to store your guns in their home while visiting their area! Besides, you might even find new shooting friends too? Just another way of skinnin a cat that needs skinnin?

Hap

12. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

I am happy to report that the main part of the problem has been resolved. A call was received from the person in charge of the Visitor Control Center at Peterson and he has determined the solution to the problem. It does involve a couple of extra steps but they are not inconvenient. The information will be passed on to all here.

The Visitor Center will arrange that, when arriving at the base, it will be required to check in at the main guard station and declare that there are weapons in the vehicle. This is all to be arranged with the Visitor Center prior to arrival with the normal time frame and process required for typical visitor access. The Visitors Center will make note of the fact that firearms are being transported when documenting the visitor access with the Guard Station. It will be required to have trigger locks on the guns and the ammo must be stored separately in a different part of the vehicle. Since there was no ammo planned to be taken on the trip, it was all to be bought at the shoots or in route, that is not a problem.

At the Guard Station, information will be provided with needed documentation, to go to the Armory and have the guns secured there till the completion of the visit and exit from the base.

It sure does help when the person in charge calls back to provide information and determine the facts of the situation after being made aware of the question.

The AF Academy question still remains but that is the lessor of the two problems and that visit could be scrubbed if needed.

13. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

Pyrdek:

have your friend make a list of all the point(s) of contact(s) that relayed this information to him and have it handy when he arrives at the visitor center.

My experience with getting visiting personnel onto a military installation has been mixed. Even though I fill out the proper paperwork way ahead of the required advance notice timeframe and do all the other little stuff the base security wants done, the "right hand" does not always talk to the "left hand" so to speak when it comes to dealing with the gate guards and the visitor center.

14. bas

bas Member

Hey YODA100...that is very nice of you!

15. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

Now I understand what he is intending to do. He just wants to visit the museums. At both Peterson and the Academy, he would easily be able to park the car outside and walk in. Neither place is all that big.

Even so, I'm glad he was able to make arrangements.

16. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Bas,

Your invitation was passed on and is much appreciated. It appears, right now, that unfortunately, your invitation to visit the Pikes Peak club will have to be declined. It seems that there will be very little free time left in the schedule.

It appears that in the three and half days in Colorado Springs area currently planned, there have to be two people picked up at the Denver Airport, one more at the Colorado Springs airport and there may also have to be trip up to the Loveland-Fort Collins area. That won't leave much time for anything more than a visit to Peterson, and maybe the AF Academy, and maybe one or two other local attractions, in the remaining free time.

I was told to tell you thanks and extend to you an invite if you are ever in the northwestern corner of PA, to come visit, as our guest, our "flatland" club.

17. 1100shooter

1100shooter TS Member

Many military bases have different rules and restrictions. It would be my suggestion to contact the club on the base you will visit and find out the current rules. Security levels are subject to change without notice so do it best to call them as near to the visit as possible. Some bases are open to the public, especially for registered shoots, and access is not an issue; if they know you ae coming. Some bases do require "guest lists" to be submitted in advance while some do not require them. Normally, a picture ID is required for access.

In the case of Wright-Patterson AFB there is a Rod & Gun club which has skeet and trap ranges located on base property but is not within the "controlled" area of the base. So you do not go through any base security to get to the club. If that is one of your stops contact the Manager at (937) 257-3935 for additional information and current operating hors.

18. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

Having worked and hung out in PAWN shops.

They are not a viable answer for the out of state travler.

As all firearms pawns/transactions are treated as purchases on redemption!

Al

Don't take my word ask the BATF

19. cafowler

cafowler Member

Colorado Springs is home to the Olympic Training facility, and a really nice place to shoot. Why not stop in there to do some shooting, and ask them to store the gun untill he leaves the area. A call ahead might help confirm they'd do this for him. Who knows, he might get schooled by a few olympians while there.

20. fish and teach

fish and teach TS Member

I ran into that a couple of weeks ago at Pensacola NAS. My family wanted to go to the Naval Air Museum. At the gate, the MP there asked me to turn around in the parking lot and leave. We fortunately had seen a sporting goods store on the way to the base "Outcast Sporting Goods" (great people by the way). They let me store my guns and ammo there while we went to the museum. These wonderful folks saved me a fairly severe chewing by the spousal unit. I managed to buy some stuff when we picked the guns up also without the wife griping about it too!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.