1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Traveling Through Canada with a gun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by twoatlow8, May 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twoatlow8

twoatlow8 Member

I plan on attending a shoot in Michigan, I will be traveling from New York.
    What do I need to do to travel through Canada with my gun? Is it worth it?
    It will cut two hours of travel time each way.
    Thanks, Scott

2. twopipe

twopipe Member

Not worth it for sure !

3. dverna

dverna Active Member

I would not do it.

And I have dual citizenship.

Don Verna

4. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

I doubt you'd save any time - and it would probably cost you several hours, additionally - and that's IF you have a P.A.L. I

f you don't have a P.A.L., it's 50$CDN (?), and you have to have a 'purpose' to temporarily import a firearm, like a match program or hunting loge reservations ... I don't think 'transit' is a valid purpose. Dunno, tho.

There is still paperwork, and lines, and I have no idea what kind of hassle you'd have at the US Border.

Bob

5. cafowler

cafowler Member

I don't agree with the above. As long as you are legit, you shouldn't have a problem. What kind of shoot are you going to, trap shoot?

I don't travel thru Canada to shoots, but I've never had a problem bringing my shotguns into Canada to hunt birds. If you have any black marks or a criminal record, they may not allow you enter the country, regardless of guns. They don't look kindly on DUI's or failing to abide by our laws.

I've driven into BC at a small crossing, it took us all of about 10 minutes to do the gun registration using the CACF 909 form, website link above. They were very professional, and we were on our way. There is a cost of $25 CA I think, and the registration is good for up to a year, I think. When you drive thru the check station and present them with your Passport and answer their questions, the 2nd thing you say is that you have a shotgun you'd like to register for a visitor. They'll tell you to drive to a parking area, and bring the paperwork inside. I don't believe they've ever even checked the guns to confirm serial numbers matched, maybe once at Dorval in Montreal. You pay the fee with a credit card or cash. They sign off on the form, and this is your Permit to posess your gun and to buy ammo while in Canada. It is the same fee to list up to 3 guns on the form.

There is another US CBS form that you have a Customs agent in the US verify you own the guns before ever traveling outside the US. This keeps the US border agents from questioning the guns as you come back into the US, proves you owned them before traveling outside the country. I've never been asked to provide this, or prove ownership, but it does sound like a good idea to have with you, just in case. You can do this at any Customs office close to your home, list anything you might travel with; Camera's, guns, laptop, watch, etc?

There are horror story's out there, but I suspect those folks have a suspicious character that led to their problems.

I would suggest you have a paper copy of your registration for the shoot, something to prove what you tell them, and be preparred to present it to them without them having to ask for it, to show that you are honestly traveling to a shoot.

I would go for it, the southern Quebec countryside is beautiful. Should make for a real nice drive down the St Lawrence.

6. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

It will cost you $25 Canadian and you must first stop at US customs and fill out a customs form (5 minutes).

Complete details.

http://www.losttarget.com/firearmcanada.html

Hand guns will not be allowed.

* As of 1 June 2009 all will require either a Passport or Enhanced Drivers License to enter or re-enter the states at all land crossings. 16 year olds and under can still use a birth certificate.

7. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Cafowler has it right, except the $25 Canadian is good for 60 days now, not the year it used to be. Also the form has room for 3 guns for the $25, if you need to have 4 or more guns with you just ask for an additional form. There is no extra charge for that. I go to Canada twice every Fall with bird guns and typically have more aggrevation coming back into the US than leaving. Get your US paperwork for the guns you are taking with you. There are many great people and places in Canada and some not so great, no different than here. Good luck and enjoy the trip, Bob

8. Danny56

Danny56 TS Member

"Jim Miller" If you don't have anything good to say maybe you shouldn't say anything at all. Or at least know what you are talking about.

9. Danny56

Danny56 TS Member

Your posts are a dead giveaway.

10. coho

coho Member

I spent 13 years in Alaska two of wich were in Juneau and two in Haines. I had to travel through Canada many times. The first thing I learned about taking guns through the border is the guards don’t know their own laws at all. I had to read them to them out of their own pamphlets numerous times. they also don’t know anything about guns, I had one guy tell me that all Benelli shotguns were military type shotguns and were not legal in Canada. After looking at mine -a super black eagle- I was told it wasn’t a Benelli because it wasn’t a semi auto and it was ok to. For those of you who don’t know, a super black eagle is a semi auto, he just didn’t know the difference. If I was going to take a gun through the border I would have it all broken down and in a hard case and make real sure you don’t have any other ammo in the car, especially something that might be use in a pistol. Make sure you don’t have a .22 shell stuck between the window and dash board for example. I took a Canadian gun class and the instructor had statistics from the government showing that 50% of the things confiscated at the borders were legal to bring into Canada. That being said, I’ve been hassled more at the American borders coming back into the country than the Canadian ones. I’d spend the extra time on the road.

11. Joe Potosky

Other then paying the $25 for a 60 day permit and getting the U.S. customs form prior to entering Canada, crossing with a firearm (long gun) and ammunition is not a big deal. A number of us attend shoots in Canada each month. I was in Canada as recently as last Saturday.

The US custom form that you get at customs prior to crossing into Canada is good for as long as the form is legible. You need to show the form at the crossing every time you return to the states. I have forms that are 15 years old. Don't bring your firearm into the US customs building when stopping to get the paperwork, they will come out to the vehicle to verify serial numbers.

I've had up to four firearms in the vehicle when crossing the border and enough ammunition for two shooters for a full weekend of shooting (4-gun skeet and doubles). Not a problem.

If you live close to the border, attend a Canadian Firearms Safety Class and get a five year Canadian firearms license.

Take the test first. If you pass you don't have to take the class. If you can't pass the written test you should not be in possession of a firearm...

A passport or Enhanced Drivers License will be required to enter the U.S. at all land crossings as of 1 June. For both Americans and Canadians. Kids can still use a birth certificate.

In my region its true you need to fill the gas tank before traveling north. A dollar difference if not more is common.

Canadian Taxes are considered high, but at present a very favorable currency exchange rate favors Americans.

Back to the border. If you cross (coming or going) and have attitude they are going to give you a hard time. I know some who have had repeated problems and I'm never surprised.

Also, a U.S. visitor can arrive at the border, fill out the form and pay the fee and be on his way in under 30 minutes. A Canadian must have his paperwork pre-approved by the ATF. It may take six to eight weeks to receive approval.

Don't ever arrive at the Canadian border with a handgun....

12. twoatlow8

twoatlow8 Member

I would like to thank everyone for your help. I have decided to travel through Canada and I will let you know how it goes.
    Thanks again! Scott

13. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Scott, Why not stop and shoot. We have some nice gun clubs along your route. Bill Malcolm

14. white rattler

white rattler Member

Bill are you coming to Calgary for the Canadian? Trevor

15. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

I can't make it this year Trevor. My Dad is ailing and I work for GM. There are a bunch of fine folks coming from this area. Bill Malcolm

16. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Joe P, a quick story for you. I've been crossing several times a year for over 25 years now. I don't believe I've ever had an attitude problem at the border, but sure started to aquire one after coming back in late October last year. The US had a "special task force" in place checking for smuggling and illegal game coming over the border. When I told the agent at the gate that I was returning home from bird hunting I was told to pull into their area to be checked out. There were perhaps a dozen agents there with no customers but me. Needless to say I received a very thorough search of the vehicle, guns taken to another area to be checked out by two officers, and a complete review of my paperwork. License's, gun papers,migratory stamps, and provincial guide paperwork along my US papers. While being questioned by three agents I noticed another agent going through the dog/gun tool box. His face lit up as he made a fast grab on something in the bottom and then clearly disappointed when it wasn't what he thought he had. While going through my cooler they finally had what they needed to justify 8 or 9 agents spending a half hour with me. I had the breast of ONE woodcock frozen for a snack for my wife. We marinate them, wrap bacon and a piece of onion, cook slightly under the broiler-just great.The officer in charge gave me a lecture about trying to smuggle illegal game across the border because there was not a wing attached. I had to sign paperwork surrendering my illegal game, which he told me would be trashed. He wasn't going to let anyone eat it because he didn't know what it was and I couldn't keep it. I mark the freezer bag of the content, date shot, and usually a comment of the event, "great find Alder" or whatever. They did not fine me although I was written up for it because they determined That I was not a "serious poacher or smuggler". I may laugh about the occurence now, but it wasn't funny at the time. And yes, my attitude has changed toward the people that conducted this highly important work to keep our border safe. LOL It's still a great country up there and worth the hassle coming home. Bob

17. Joe Potosky

I did not say you were not going to run into Barney Fife from time to time.

By the way. I've been checked by US customs twice this year, just prior to entering Canada. Cones up, diverting traffic to the US Customs crossing.

Backlash from the Mexican situation and pressure from Ottawa. Customs is on the lookout for guns going into Canada. An unregistered handgun sold in Canada can bring big bucks...

Can be rough on a Canadian visitor if the firearm is not listed on the Canadians ATF Form 6NIA, as they cannot purchase a firearm in the states and take possession. It has to be shipped to Canada (with permanent US export paperwork). This includes private sales.

No dogs used during my inspections, but have seen them using dogs 50 miles or so south of the border at check points.

18. samiam03

samiam03 Member

I always thank the Canadian border officials for supporting the USA with troops in Iraq. Changes attitudes to the positive

Sam

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.