1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Traveling in the East with a handgun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by kehrby, Jun 18, 2013.

1. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

Put the gun in the trunk through IL. They don't like anybody with a handgun there!

Steve

2. jhoward

jhoward Member

Use the link above to find out which states recognize your CCP. Try to travel through states that will recognize your right to carry.

Looks like you're going to run into issues getting through to PA, with Ohio, WV, and Virginia failing to recognize your permit, you may have to put the gun in the trunk or something to comply with state laws.

3. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Be smart, put the guns in your luggage in the trunk. Will save you a lot of explaining to do should you get pulled over for any reason.

Eric

4. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

If your permit is not valid in certain states it won't matter where you have it locked up should you get stopped for any reason and they find it. The OH trooper is right about a lot of drugs (MJ) coming from Co. Why not send it by UPS, USPS, etc. What's the difference which law you break?

5. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Who on here gave me what for, about WHAT Freedoms have we ever lost???

6. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Check out the above web site for state by state info.

There is a federal law which SHOULD protect you - known as the 'peaceable journey law' - basically states that if you may legally posses a firearm at the beginning of a journey and at the end of the journey you are OK along the way (typically gun needs to be unloaded, ammo separate, all unavailable to you while driving through even sates with onerous laws).

In principal at least - ask anyone one who has been stopped in NY or NJ over this and they might tell another story.

Safe travels.

Where are you going to in PA??

7. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Livining in Illinois if you want to not break the law , unload the gun and place the shells in the glove compartment and the gun in a case in the trunk. That said I'd rather get caught with it than without it does no god to have it unloaded.

8. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Amazing the ignorance of some. C.E. you are leading the pack. You badger others info and then give your own bad info. Go back to testing your M12.

There is absolutely no reason you have to have a lock on the case in Illinois nor is it illegal to have ammunition. They just need be in seperate places. Put the ammo in the glove box and the gun in a zipped or latched case in the back seat or floor. Of course Chicago or Cook County is different.

9. perezal

perezal Member

I emailed the Department of Public Safety in New Mexico and Arizona and asked the same question and I printed out the response and took them with me on the way to Arizona. That way if the cops want to tell me different I have it from the top.

10. kcbullets

kcbullets Member

Don't tell anyone you have a gun, they can't search without probably cause, or consent. Don't give consent.

11. Scoutman 06

Scoutman 06 Member

If you were stopped for a traffic violation in another state & the officer took your license back to his car & checked you out on his computer,would the fact that you had a CCW in your home state be available to him thru some database? John

12. kcbullets

kcbullets Member

In Kansas CCW holders have a separate card. It is not noted on the DL.

13. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Put it in your pocket. It's better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6. I spent many years traveling around Southern California and always had a handgun in my brief case on the front seat. Everyone I new did. And there was no possible way to get a ccp in California.

14. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

In Illinois, we like handguns just fine...

The trunk is best, in an SUV out of reach, passenger back corner if you're the driver... ammo can be kept close to the gun, but separate.

A case can be construed to be most anything that will fully enclose, including a string tied "SackUps" type sock"... Illinois does not require a lock on case.

If you're driving I80, you'll miss Cook County and Chicago... watch your speed across the Prairie State...

Jay