1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Traveling gunsmiths and stock guys have my respect

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by schockstrap, Jul 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. schockstrap

schockstrap Active Member

This is probably going to sound a little funny, but I have a new-found respect for all of the guys like Tron, Tom Larkin, Ken Rucker, etc. that offer what I consider a very fast turn-around on gunsmithing and stock work. I decided to add an adjustable comb to my trap guns (primary and backup) in an attempt to get them to fit me better and shoot more alike. I am a hobbyist woodworker, and have thousands of dollars worth of machinery for this kind of stuff, so I decided to tackle the job myself. I didn't think it would be an easy job, but figured once I got over the fear of hacking into my beautiful walnut stock it would be pretty straight-forward. I guess that's not too far off from reality, but the first stock that I did took me roughly 5 hours of work... The actual cutting/install time wasn't nearly that much, but I spent a lot of time figuring out how to keep everything aligned accurately and held firmly while i worked. Then I got to thinking... It probably doesn't take those guys more than an hour or two to do the work, BUT there is still quite a bit of time required for epoxy to set to full strength (8-24 hours usually) and for finish to dry. It's utterly amazing to me that these guys are able to deliver a completed stock by the next day at a shoot, or have it back to you within a week if they ship it to you. They do good work crazy fast, and honestly I don't know how they're able to make a decent living charging what they do.

I'm very pleased with how my adjustable comb installs turned out and I did get my time down to around 3 hours for the second install, but clearly I would starve if I did this for a living. I'm glad that I did the work myself and I learned a lot in the process... Most importantly, I think I learned just how good of a resource we have in the folks that are travelling the trap shoot circuit and offerning their services.

--Dan

2. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Lets see some pics of your work!

3. schockstrap

Ha, I knew someone was going to ask for pictures... I'll have to dig up my digital camera tomorrow to get decent pics, but here are some fuzzy ones from my cell phone...

--Dan

The 5 hour stock on my Remington 1100:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My XT stock (the 3-hour version):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. ms_yuan

ms_yuan Member

Congratulations! Looks like a fine job, and you should be happy and proud. I would have turned that stock into useless firewood if I had the courage to attempt that. Well done!

5. Mohave60

Mohave60 Member

Great job, A WELL DONE TO YOU.

6. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Whose hardware is that?

7. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Beautiful workmanship, speed comes with practice and I suspect the pros have jig setups that help the process. I'd say time well spent and nothing like the satisfaction of knowing you did it yourself. Are you a lefty by chance?

Robert

8. schockstrap

Thanks for the compliments, all.

EuroJoe, I bought the hardware from Tom Larkin. I think he makes it himself or has it made to his specs. Either way, he was nice enough to put a couple of sets together for me, and sold it to me for a very reasonable price. He even gave me a quick overview of how to install the hardware, and answered the questions that I had.

--Dan

9. TC

TC TS Member

Nice job Dan! Tony

10. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Love the Larkins. Like having Mr. and Mrs. Claus working on your toy.

11. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

Very, very nice work. It looks very professional.

Ted K.

12. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

If one has the proper equipment, fixtures, and pre-made parts, it doesn't take much time to install an adjustable comb.

13. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Looks great!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.