1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Travel Trailer Hitch

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Texas Trap Shooter, Dec 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Texas Trap Shooter

Texas Trap Shooter Member

We tow with a 2008 Chevrolet Silverado, 6.0 liter, 3.73 rear end using an Equal-i-zer anti sway, weight distribution hitch. We are are towing a 2008 25 foot Airstream Travel Trailer and have had no sway issues to speak of.

Ron Schroer - Sun City, TX

2. deuce

deuce Member

I am currently pulling a 5th wheel, but I used to tow a travel trailer using a Reese dual cam setup. It worked well and you don't have to get out to disconnect anything when backing around corners as with a friction control.

JimBo

3. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I run about the same setup and vehicle as Texas Trapshooter. Never a problem with a 6300 lb. dry weight, 27 foot Bigfoot trailer. Only "heads up" I can think of is to make sure that the links in the equalizer brand hitch remain tight enough not to fall out. I lost one part one time due to that error.

Tow vehicle is '07 4wd Duramax, but essentially the same as the gas engine, but a bit more front heavy tow vehicle. I believe one of the major keys to successful towing, particularly using a non-5th wheel hitch, is tire pressure and condition of trailer and tow vehicle tires and weight distribution inside the trailer. Of course tongue weight is also very important. I've learned this stuff fairly quickly via subtle warnings while towing..like one time, a very minor sway due to not quite enough tongue weight. Good luck and happy towing, with the application of "known fundamentals" in towing, you will be fine.

4. capvan

capvan Active Member

Save your marriage. Invest in a little cheapie wireless camera set up so you can see the hitch from the driver's seat when you are hooking up. Best money I have EVER spent (other than the new gun I got this summer)

Bruce

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.