1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trapshooting USA

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Barrelbulge(Fl), Nov 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Does anyone know when volume #5 comes out? Thanks, Bulge.

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

After volume #4. HMB

PS. Pat made me do it. HMB

3. Barrelbulge(Fl)

That makes a lot of sense since vol.#4 arrived about 6 weeks after vol.#3. Real signs of intelligence the way we all (most of us) pick up on the order of things. LOL. Bulge.

4. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

The seventh of January.* **

Neil

* or earlier

** or later

. . . but they do seem to show up early in the dated month. I always look forward to it and Clayshooting USA to get the newest from Tim Woodhouse so I can have a reason to be grouchy for the rest of the month.

5. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Thanks Neil.

6. Clayshooter08

Clayshooter08 Member

Can't wait for every issue...

7. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Nei, so you found a new celebrity scribe.... Guess I better avoid future conflict and not get to liken this gent.

8. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

You can get to meet him in the latest issue of Clayshooting USA the ballistic comment section, the article is called "Backbored Performance." It's a classic of it's genre, going far, far beyond DZ at the height of his powers. The graphs are spectacular; here's just a taste, the title of one of them:

"Chart#1 An Assimilation of Barrel Gas Pressure Variations and Barrel Friction Losses for Faster Burning Rate 1oz 12Gauge Shotgun Powder with Regular and Backbored Barrels"

. .. and that's only half of it! By the way, if you can't understand the usage of the word "Assimilation" in the above quote, you aren't alone. My guess is that the intended word was "Simulation" but who knows?

It goes on to diagram Barrel Pressure curves with a horizontal axis labeled "BREECH - CHAMBER CONE -----MUZZLE" and there are no vertical axis labels at all, even for the "Barrel Resistance Friction Lines" which are also featured on the same chart. Really I've never seen anything like it though it resembles, in spirit, a graph in one of the early editions of the Shotgun Digest series credited to Robert Stack which reported amazing experiments done with an early counter coil by people with way more courage than I. AB wrote the story and told me later that he regretted it but atoned by sending me all the data that lead him to write what he did which I thought was very nice of him.

If anyone here has a copy of Clayshooting USA I hope they will read TW's article and post their reactions here.

Neil

9. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Hey, that barrel friction thing is for real! I once shot with a guy who blamed his missing the first target out on his bore still having some cleaning solvent in it. The solvent, he claimed, reduced the amount of friction in the barrel, resulting in his shot charge having higher velocity and arriving at the target sooner than normal, thus causing him to shoot in front of it.

Only a trapshooter could dream up an alibi like that!

Ed

10. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

I thought Woodhouse is the .410 guru. Able to knock down anything from toads to tanks. Wayne

11. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

What is the proper lead for a toad crossing left to right. HMB

12. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Two medium-size warts (or 1½ if you are cross-dominant).

Bob

13. TrapShootingUSAMagazine

TrapShootingUSAMagazine TS Member

Bulge,

To answer your original question TrapShootingUSA Journal 5 will be mailed out starting on the 10th of December. Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving.

John

TrapShootingUSA Magazine

14. chipking

chipking TS Member

I really hate to badmouth anyone who writes for a living so I will just say that his article First Barrel Chokes for Doubles Shooting in TrapshootingUSA #4 was at best Underwhelming and over graphed .

--- Chip King ---

15. Barrelbulge(Fl)

John, thank you for that info. Mike.

16. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

John, If you're shipping the 10'th, what is my ETA in Mass through Penn? looking forward to it, keep up the good work. Thanks, Bob

17. TrapShootingUSAMagazine

TrapShootingUSAMagazine TS Member

Bob,

As always, Ed will have his copy first. Then the topsecret BigDon subscription goes out...oh, wasn't supposed to mention that. With the Christmas mailing season all bets are off on when magazines will arrive.

Mike, you are welcome sir.

John

TrapShootingUSA Magazine

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

410 tim woodhouse

trapshooters usa