1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trapshooting Tips

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by shooterxt, Aug 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shooterxt

shooterxt TS Member

I thought it would be cool to hear some of the tips that other shooters have mastered or what really is working for them.

For the last couple of weeks I have been trying to "Stay in The Gun" for a couple of extra seconds after the shot. This alows me to keep my face on the comb the whole way through the shot. This also maintains a more even follow through.

What has worked for you?

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

Earl Scripture once told me to "load one, break one, and don't think too much!"

As a real life Shooting Coach, the most common fault I see on the range is the shooter coming out of the gun, and bead checking. Staying in the gun a second or so AFTER the shot is fired makes a lot of difference. Looking at the target without bead checking is another fundamental (what a novel ides, looking at the bird!).

Any more tips will cost you! LOL

3. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

As the ShootingCoach says, LOOK AT THE TARGET. Don't look at your gun after you're set.

4. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

Practice mounting your gun every day and put a piece of velcro (the soft part) on your stock so you can easily put your head in the same place every time. I also have a small piece on my forearm so I can get my hand position right every time, it may not be as important as head position, but it helps.

5. Bluzman98

Bluzman98 Member

You could also then put velcro on your cheek and just velcro yourself to the stock.....cheek in same spot always and no raising off the gun....

Sorry...I couldn't resist.....lol

Jim C

6. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

When I first started shooting I was told to remember

"The wood part goes against your shoulder and the metal part goes into the air."

7. skipster

skipster TS Member

Gun fit, gun fit, gun fit, gun fit. Nuff said.

8. Billster

Billster TS Member

Am only back into this seriously for 2 months and have been reading up a storm..trying anything/everything to up my scores. I read somewhere a couple of weeks ago (might have been 'Trapshooting Secrets) that immediately before calling for the target, raise your eyebrows as much as possible and keep them there through the shot. I laughed until I tried it and haven't stopped doing it since. I SWEAR it's like someone turning on the lights visually. I'm picking up the bird quicker and sharper. Forgot to do this the first few targets last week and totally dropped them until I started doing it again. Told a couple of guys at the range, they smirked then tried it and they've picked up a few more targets using this 'dumb' tip.

That's my contribution for the week. heheh.

Cheers
    Bill

9. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

Move the eyes first and let the gun follow. Foot position, parallel to the angle target opposite of your shooting shoulder. And don't blink a lot. It takes a second or two for the eyes to refocus. John

10. jeffprigge

jeffprigge Active Member

Pete McCall told me years ago "dont move the gun til you see the target". It does work if i can get my brain to tell my arms and hands not to move.

11. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

Hilltopper, I'll have everyone send me 5 bucks, that way it is not free lol. Hope to see you this fall. Take care, John

12. Recoil Problems

Recoil Problems TS Member

shoot at targets until you break one really well,
    then just do the same thing over again and again

13. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

Dear Bill

Just before I call for the bird, I pop my eyes WIDE open like I am in the middle of a car wreck. It works.

There are many fundamentals. Find a trainer or a good shot at your club and work with them. Doing is better than reading or watching a DVD.

14. Shotgunbutch

Shotgunbutch Member

Do what Shooting Coach says.
    It works very well!!!

Arnie

15. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Best tip. Practice.

16. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

so far the best thing latly....SHUT UP AND SHOOT

17. shooterxt

shooterxt TS Member

Thanks to all for the advise and tips. I know I am not going for the "fishhook comb" thanks anyway brownk80 lol Ouch. . .

18. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

To keep your head down: Take a LARGE treble shark hook with line atached to a hat. Put the hat on your head and fasten the hooks in your 'crotch' area. You will only pick your head up once. Fred

19. Billster

Billster TS Member

Thanks, Shooting Coach. Doing eight to ten rounds/week (and going broke) and working with a coach too. Too many variables and 'suggestions' to take in all at once (overload). Sort thru them/discard some as off the wall. The eye popping thing sounded stupid but made as much difference as changing my hold point. Go figger.

bill

20. buzzgun

buzzgun Member

Billster,

Go to the head of the class. Your advice is much more important than some might think, in my opinion. I integrated it into my setup routine...it really does matter for me.

Trap targets do have some rise to them. It's easy not to notice, but if you practice looking against a wall, you'll see that your "fuzzy eyebrows" being down too low can easily reduce your upward "span" of clear vision space by a third or more (that's your "clear tracking space" in the upward coordinate). In conjuction with any limitations in the field of vision due to the size of your lenses, I find that this can matter. (Cf. the Kay Ohye clinic exercise where he has you wear shellbox blinders stapled to your hat).

It may only mean failure to accurately catch up to one target out of a hundred that "surprised" you in your upward tracking...but looking back over your shooting career...what difference could one target make - on a day when you're "on" and everything is clicking? One stupid straightaway you shot beside and/or under, because you were surprised, were rushing, and didn't get a good look at it before pumping off?

(Note: the foregoing assumes one holds oneself to the trapshooting code of honor of not allowing yourself Mulligans, even if the ATA rules do...otherwise, just clamp your eyebrows down and re-shoot any ones that surprise you).

(Further Note: the foregoing also assumes you're not a skeet shooter...in that case, just shave your eyebrows to match your legs & ass).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.