1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

TRAPSHOOTING TIPS FROM VIC REINDERS!!!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by senior smoke, Aug 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

HELLO;
    first of all i have been making threads alot more than normal this week. i am on vacation and i just happened to get strep throat, nothing else to do. with that being said i would consider myself to have been a friend of vic reinders. he gave me advice on shooting, some i took, some i didn't. i can't imagine at this stage of my life, at one time being so arrogant, thinking i possibly knew more about shooting than old vic. vic forgot more about this game than i will ever know, so hear are some of the tips he gave me over the years.
    1. always start on position 5, you get to see 5 targets before you start shooting your own.
    2. buy yourself a gun that fits you, don't change guns, save the money you would have spent on new guns and use it to shoot with.
    3. go to a large tournament with just enough money to get their, and pay for your shooting. if you don't have the money to come back home it will force you to shoot well enough to win.
    4. shoot with good shooters. nothing worse than shooting with someone you don't know and have him screw up your squad and your shooting but good.
    5.shoot at clubs that run good shoots.
    6. get to know the rep from the gun company that you shoot. you never know when your gun will break down. most of the reps carry spare guns or parts. on a personal note, i don't know if the reps of today have ever shoot trap?
    7.if i feel i am getting nervous, don't look at the other shooters targets. if i am stil nervous look down at your feet, and say the word no, no, no, over and over. when you do that you can't think of anything else. when you hear the guy on your left closing his gun get ready.
    8. when you arrive at a club, have your equipment ready to go. shooters do not like shooting with people that have problems on the line. all guns will break down. stay away from the semi automatics, they are known to break down and screw up your shooting and your squad.
    9. know the rules of the game. it is every shooters responsiblity to know the rules. if you see someone trying to bend the rules, call them on it.
    10. when you travel to shoots around the country made up a business card stating you are a trapshooter that just paid for this bill.

i could go on and on. vic felt that to really thrive in any of the shooting sports you needed to know the history of the game. vic got friendlier the older he got, he felt, your at a shoot to win, not socilize. he always said you can talk after the shoot. a couple things he told me always stuck with me. he said no one likes to shoot with a cheater, and be on time to shoot.

steve balistreri

2. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

bill,
    watching vic shoot doubles was something else. sometimes he would take the 2nd shoot a foot or less off the ground. not to short shuck the 31 on the 2nd shoot, he would load a dummy shell into the magazine. he felt this keep the 2nd shell to be chambered in line. i met vic in 1970, he was still shooting well at that time. one thing i liked when vic ran the waukesha gun club, you knew who was in charge. every shoot was the same, no surpises. god help you if you asked vic how much better he thought he could of been using an over and under in doubles instead of a pump. vic was towards the end of his shooting career. he never would blame a miss on his gun. lets just say vic would never had won a miss congeneality contest. he was as straight a shooter as they come.
    one of my favorite stories is when vic was shooting and a young gun was protesting a rule with the trap boy. vic walked offer and told the guy he was wrong and what the rule was. the young guy said sarcasticly to vic, who are you that you supposely know the rules. vic said i'm the sob who wrote the damn rule book! the young guy shut his mouth and they ended the round.

steve balistreri

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

vic reinders