1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trapshooting Survey CLOSED

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Phil Kiner, Jul 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phil Kiner

Phil Kiner Well-Known Member

The survey is now closed and I will try to get to work on how to best present results. I have agreed to present the results to the EC on/about 8/3 or 8/4 and as soon as practical after that I will post the results on my blog http://trapandfield.com/philkinerblog.htm with a link there from TS.com

There were 3078 responses which I think is really great and I suspect more than a lot of "higher ups" expected (I know I was hoping to get 1000 to 1500 max).

Now the real question IS: will anything happen as a result????

----ONLY THE SHADOW KNOWS

Thanks again Phil

2. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

No such animal as an even handicap system. Spot me 10 birds and Harlan will still beat me.

Theyv'e been trying to even out golf forever and every low handicapper wants to be able to say "Scratch" when asked. And Scratchers will play with the big dogs and get their lunch handed to them 99 times out of 100. Prob 100 out of 100.

But will be interested in seeing what the rest of the computer shooters have to say. So kudos to you Phil for devising the plan and executing it so well. Nice job.

3. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

It's nice to see someone being proactive instead of just bitchin'

Thanks for the hard work Phil and best personal regards.

Jerry Weger

4. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Man you have taken on a lot of work, Phil. I must say, I wouldn't know where to start. Do the poll-hosts have any advice on data analysis?

I will of course be particularly interested in how you define the population from which the responses originated.

Neil

5. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

The results shall be intertesting. Thank you for your efforts in our behalf.

6. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

MIA wrote;

"No such animal as an even handicap system."

Perhaps not, but there is such a thing as a broken handicap system.

7. Patrick Haskins

Patrick Haskins Member

Phil,
    Thanks for being one of those individuals who take action when they perceive a problem instead of just complaining about it.
    Pat Haskins

8. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I want them to adapt whatever system will keep the best shooters winning while letting the rest of us think we have a chance once in a while.

9. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Majority should rules .

10. JACK

Longshooter. Dont' you see that I agree with you? But none of us can solve the dilemma. All handicap systems are subverted by those looking for an advantage. Our hcp system works. You win on the way up and the learn to copmete at the 27. I did, you did. thousands have. If you don't get to be in the hunt at the 27, at least they let you shoot and look for a good day. I shot at Owatonna over the weekend and we had perfect handicap conditions. Saturday a 26.5 yarder in my squad broke 96 and was second to anothe rfriend of mine that is a 26.5 that broke 98. Both are at the 27 now. Sunday a Jr Lady broke 97 in the wind from 22.5.

Tell me who it was not fair to? Tell me? Did you shoot?

I did and had a great time "competing"

Whgere is this "unfairness" that you suggest?

My son in law is on the way up and broke about an 80. But he wants to keep trying. God bless the folks that try.

Respectfully, Jack

11. JACK

Neil. Your post talks to me. I agree.

12. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

"Where is this "unfairness" that you suggest?"

Of course, this is all well documented, here. We do not have to keep hashing and rehashing the old and stale arguments.

The unfairness is with the long yardage shooters being underhandicapped, and therefore, dominating the field, because of the wall created at the 27 yard line, coupled with easier targets, and the problematic punch system.

Honorary punches, gotta love 'em!

13. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

"I will of course be particularly interested in how you define the population from which the responses originated. "

Neil,

How about updating that troublesome target chart.

14. shadow

shadow Active Member

Phil says,"only the shadow knows". And I aint tellin.

15. Trapshooter1

Trapshooter1 Member

PHIL I also appreciate your hard work and time you have given to this and many other chores you have done for registered shooting. Good luck in this and at the grand.

Dan Woods

16. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

SMSNYDER, majority rule got us NOBOMA, careful what we wish for. Thanks for the effort Phil. Jake

17. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

"how you define the population from which the responses originated"

Good question. Maybe this is an excellent test run and the ATA will be interested enough to send it in the mail to past and present members. Only place I heard about it was here but maybe ts.com shooters are representative, I don't know. So many segments of the general population are represented by ts.com participants, you can get help on just about any O/T problem you might have. I can attest to that personally. Don't know how that figures into sampling.

The ATA rules have been pretty much a given most of my shooting career; my focus has been on the target. I've never thought much about changing the rules, but by asking the questions, as Phil has, you tender the possibility of change for the better.

Good luck in this venture.

Joe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.