1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

TRAPSHOOTING STORY, KNOW YOUR COMPETITORS!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Jan 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

HELLO:
    around 30 years ago i was in a ATA tournament and there was alot of money at stake. shooters from all over wisconsin came to shoot the handicap. i was on a early squad and i shot a 96 from 22 yards. right after i shot all hell broke loose and the wind kicked up and started to rain at times. shooters already paid for the handicap event, some wished or thought of withdrawing, most shot. there were two 96's on the board shot from from early squads. the other 96 that was shot was done by a well known handicap shooter who was on the 26 yard line. he received a punch to the 27 yard line for this 96. i had to leave right after i shot due to a family gathering with relatives. a friend of mine said that with the wind blowing like it was no one would match our scores. he made me a deal. he said the guy that tied me will be celebrating being punched to the 27 yard line. just before i leave say good bye to my friend in front of the other guy who shot a 96 and he said he will be in no condition to shoot when shoot offs are called, because he will think i left for the day, and he will be celebrating being punched to the 27 yard line. he said i will call you just before shoot offs are called, but i want half of your winnings, i said ok. so i said good bye to my friend in front of the other guy who had a 96 and said i have a family gathering to go to. as soon as i left i get a call from my friend and he said the other shooter is drinking like he's a sailor on a 3 day shore leave. later i get another call and he said come to the gun club for the shoot off. i come hear my named called and the other shooter could not stand and couldn't shoot. the shooter said to me "if i knew you were coming back for the shoot off i never would have drank anything". i started laughing and told him what happened and all three of us split the winnings. my friend said know your competition for future shoots. i am glad i decided to split the money because deep in my mind i felt this was wrong. years later we still laugh about that day when we see each other. over the years i have seen guys drinking after they shoot and unexpectintly they are called for a shoot off and can't shoot.
    steve balistreri

2. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I was called for a shoot off one time and when we walked to the trap we were going to shoot off on a friend of mine and I each carried a flat of shells that we just bought to take home with us and set them on the bench ... The guy asked if I thought that the shoot off was going to last that long and I said it'll only last until he missed, he missed the first target out and I won the thing ... My Buddy and I picked up the shells that we had bought to take home in the first place and walked them to the car, which we didn't have time to do before that ... I guess mind games don't hurt even a little bit sometimes ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

3. senior smoke

WPT:
    very funny, and smart!
    steve

4. dog easy

dog easy TS Member

Is it against ATA rules to use capital letters in your posts? It sure would make these things easier to read.

Shoot safe, John

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

dog, only the NRA, ATA, NSSA, NSCA, DOT, BATF, on others are now allowed to use caps....those that did all their posts in nothing but caps ruined it for the rest of us by using up our allotments... sorry

6. Anchorsteam

Anchorsteam TS Member

Since I work in the Pentagon, DOD & OSD caps are ok too:^)

7. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I was out hunting with my field grade model 12 hunting grouse and I stopped at this gun club that I heard of that shot calcuttas, I had on my hunting vest and I signed up and got something to eat and they sold the board I bought myself for $5.00 min bid, then went to the car and changed into my Trapshooting coat and my Trap Grade Model 12 w/release trigger, and mouths dropped and I proceeded to break a 50x50 won a couple hundred bucks.

I heard them say do any of you guys know him? They said no.

They said we will know him the next time he comes.

I went to a shoot at Cowboy Clayton Staton's before his son was blinded in a horse accident, they looked me up in the average book and they pooled me and bought me, I came w/ 2 buddies I broke a 50, one buddy broke a 50 and a club member broke a 50, it was high gun 50/30/20 we took all the money the other friend broke a 49x50 and did not get a dime. that was in the good old days/

The guy that broke the 49 was given 3 yards hdcp, By the ATA on Known ability and he never fired another registered target. Just shot calcuttas then quit shooting all tohether, now all does is enter Bass Tournements.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

8. senior smoke

Gary:
    great stories.
    steve

sportshot:
    something similar happened to me years ago. the guy who wanted to flip a coin said to me"do you want to flip a coin or be greedy and shootoff and try to win it all? i said shoot offs are free targets. lets shootoff and agree to split the pot regardless who wins. he thought that was a good idea.
    steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.