1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

*Trapshooting Story...Believe it or Not!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Onceabum, Apr 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

It seems this shooter's current yardage was 25 yards. He was at a shoot where the rest of his squad were 27 yard shooters. He didn't want to stand on the 25 in front of them so he also shot from the 27 that day. He shot a 97 from the 27 and got a yard. So, the result was: a 25 yarder broke a 97 from the 27 and received a punch to the 26.

So...did it happen?

Booger

2. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

i believe the rule might be the yardage is from where you stand not where you should have been. I believe he will be on the 27 permanently. might be wrong but someone else will be here with an opinion soon.motordoc

3. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I do believe Motordoc nailed it!

He will be punched from the yardage that he stood on.

Hauxfan!

4. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

If you shoot from the wrong yardage for any reason other than penalty yardage, your score is disqualified. If you ARE shooting from pentaly yardage, then your "punch" is from the yardage you shot. IF he was shooting 27 yard as a penalty then he is NOW on the 27.

5. C1

C1 Member

And....He will be disqualified.

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

sure could

7. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

I think OneATAtime nailed it. Does not make sense, if you shoot from longer yardage. The rules state that if you shoot from the wrong yardage, you are disqualified, but then it must brought it to the attention of shoot management. The scorer/referee should have not allowed it.

If he was shooting from the 27 yard line because of penalty, then he stays on the 27 with a honorary punch.

Jason

8. trpshtr2001

trpshtr2001 TS Member

I think you will find that if a shooter shoots from the wrong yardage , he will be automatically disqualified. I always understood there was no honorary 27 yd punches. I could be wrong , I was once before. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

9. ljunatic

ljunatic Member

Perhaps the shooter shuld be punched to the 27 (for known ability) while forfeiting all winnings for shooting from the wrong yardage(DQ)

10. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

Here's the rule book statement. "A shooters card will be punched from the yardage actually shot (including penalty yardage if applicable.)" I take that as he just made the 27 and was disqualified. But I may be all wrong, have been before. J.Woolsey

11. BabyB

BabyB TS Member

This months "House Rules" in Trap and Field addresses this very situation

12. oz

oz Active Member

I could see being penalized for shooting at a closer yardage. By the way I have shot at a state shoot, my card says 20 yd BUT the man in charge says HE thinks i am a better shooter and placed me at the 23 yd line. So am I automatically disqualified???????? oz

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

OZ- At the state shoot you mentioned, the person classifying cannot increase your yardage because "he think" you are a better shooter. He can increase yardage based on penalty classification printed in the program, but known ability is not applicable to handicap with the exception of members of the CHC and the EC.

Pat Ireland

14. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

The question was not whether a rule existed preventing such an act or what consequences would follow if it did take place. Rather, in your opinion could it/did it,in fact, occur?

Booger

15. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

Enough with the rules crap! This actually happened five to six years ago. It was at a small shoot, not many people there. I watched the last squad shoot the event...followed along with them through the four traps. Apparently, the other squad members didn't say anything about the "shooter" standing on the wrong yardage. Maybe they were ignorant of any rule prohibiting it. The scorer either didn't know what was going on or didn't care. Anyway, the "shooter" was punched to the 26 yard line.

What the hell, if a 25yard shooter can walk back to the 27 and break a 97, he should get a punch to somewhere.

Booger

16. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

They shoulda given him the 26-1/2 yard mark for such a feat, my opinion only. Didn't the old rule say you couldn't be given the 27, you had to earn it the old fashioned way? Hap

1 yard for the disqualified 97 and a half yard for known ability.

17. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

DA...What I meant was this - the original thread does not ask for rules governing this or what should have been done, yet, everyone starts talking about the rules. The question was asking for opinions on whether or not it happened.

Jim,

I don't think it was ever discovered because the "shooter" made the 27 about three weeks later and is still there as far as I know.

Booger

18. Juno

Juno TS Member

Devil, Booger simply gave a scenario and asked the forum if we thought it actually happened. No one actually answered the question he intended, and even though the question wasn't about ATA rules, everyone started quoting them. Hell, he probably knows the rules as well as anybody. I guess he should have said "The rules of the ATA are........, but here is the story" Did it happen? You wouldn't think he would have to but.........

19. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

Thanks, Juno.

20. Little Dog

Little Dog TS Member

Booger seems to think that threads always stay on the topic that the person who started them wanted. That's foolish as well as inacurate.

In this case, the club who didn't DQ the scores shot from the wrong yardage broke the rules- it's as simple as that. You can't punch anybody for a score that doesn't exist.

It's a shame that the rules are constantly ignored, but it's people of Booger's ilk who will keep it that way.

BTW, with the price of lead, I'd like to see max shot loads reduced to 7/8 oz. Do I have a second on that?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.