1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trapshooting & Steel Shot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Garry, Aug 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Garry

Garry Active Member

For you trapshooters who are required to use steel shot, what is the best commercial shell to use from the 27yd line? Specifics please.

2. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Really subjective... but my preference has been Winchester's 1oz Xpert Steel (originally 1300fps) now at 1325fps (gray box). #7 are approved for registered targets. I've had a good amount of success shooting games with that load out 60-70 yards.

I've shot everything from Winchester's AA Steel and the Remington STS Steel 7s/6.5s (wish those were still available) to the present Winchester Xpert, Winchester-Western Steel (white box, 1.125oz 1200fps) to Remington's Sportsmans Steel, Federal and recently some Rio... all in #7.

Ultimately, you have to figure out what you like and whatever you place your confidence in - you will end up having the best success.

Feel free to PM if you wish to speak further...

Jay

3. MisterHappy

MisterHappy Member

Jay is "the man" when it comes to this subject.

his club has been shooting steel for a while.

4. zaob1

zaob1 Member

Kent makes a very good steel load that is purchased at Skyway. All others I have seen that shoot factory loads usually shoot Winchester Xpert Steel. They both shoot well. Both are #7 shot and range from 1295 to 1325.
    Rick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.