1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trapshooting question.......

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by biff, May 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. biff

biff Active Member

Why are trapshooters so willing to help, offer advice to new shooters or even fellow competitors. Many trapshooters seem to go out of there way to make sure other shooters know what they are doing wrong or give the imformation to help those shooters do it the more correct way! I have been guilty of even offering unsolicited advice.

Some of the top shooters offer clinics where they share their techniques and help put other shooters on the right track, or write articles in shooting related magazines with ideas and ways to improve your trapshooting.

In other sports or competitions people seem to guard secrets that give them an edge over their competitors. I'm sure even in trapshooting you probably have met a few who are successful that are tight lipped about their secrets. Many times when some people are offered advice which could help them, they seem to resent that person offering advice and ignore it. I have heard people talk about even when paying for a clinic the shooter still continues shooting the same way that they took the clinic to improve on. Just some interesting thoughts about the shooting process. Biff

2. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Had a friend that took a Clinic from one of the big dogs and payed around 400 bucks for two days . After the Clinic he said it was all B.S. he just could not shoot like the Pro was asking to try . I guess if you take a Clinic first you need to have an open mind and be willing to try soming different .

3. RogerNRA

RogerNRA TS Member

There are some of us only God himself can help..............Roger

4. jhoward

jhoward Member

Despite the competitive nature of trapshooting there is very much a social aspect to the sport. I've always said that trapshooting is the only sport in which the guy standing next you, that you are competing against, will try to tell you everything you need to know to beat him.

Part of it may also be that trap is not a spectator sport. That's not to say that no one watches, but rather that it is much harder to appreciate than other sports. Even if you aren't a football fan you can still appreciate the athleticism and skill required to make a one handed catch while moving at full speed and trying to get both toes inbounds. It takes another shooter appreciate the difficulty, skill, and dedication required to succeed in trap because it doesn't *LOOK* difficult.

As for clinics, it all depends on the instructor. I've heard that some of the big names insist that you change your style to try to fit their's, but certainly not all of them do. I know that in the clinic I took there was no attempt to change shooting styles to match the instructor's, the only changes she suggested were in areas where folks were having trouble.

5. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Biff, I think one of the reasons we are so eager to help one another is........When we go to the line, no one beats us........you only beat yourself.

No one is standing in front of you or waving a flag. You lose because another shooter broke more birds............it wasn't his fault nor the fault of others that you didn't break more birds.

When I miss, I only have myself to blame.

We are our own worst enemy.

Or as some would say, I met the enemy and it is me........

Hauxfan!

6. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Roger NRA, Get off my back! LOL. Well spoken by several already, "as long as we're having fun". Shoot often while we can, Bob

7. otnot

otnot Active Member

I wish someone would have spoken up years ago and saved me many years of learning everything the hard way. Last month I was shooting on a squad with a 12 year old that had never shot registered targets before. I found myself thinking of all the little mistakes he was making instead of what I should be doing. Finally between houses I had to say what was on my mind or quit shooting. In the end what I told him improved his scores from low teens to the upper teens. And I was able to get back to business.

8. biff

biff Active Member

jhoward and Hauxfan, I think you both pointed out some really good reasons and as they say,"If you never miss, you can never be beaten!"

Otnot, what you mentioned is a problem I have been trying to work on without success and that is concentrate on what I should be doing and not be aware of other shooters on my squad. Keeping tally in my mind as to who missed and how many and even why they missed is a hard habit to break as you can be doing it even before you become aware that you are!

9. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

I help with new shooters all I can because of SAFETY!! Wayne

10. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

I played the drums for 30 years, all types of music. I remember reading once that people can learn only so much when it comes to hand eye coordination.
    I can show you how to do it but that does not mean that your body will be able to do it Most drummers that excel at their craft have wrists with a bone structure different from the average Joe. People like Kay are naturals at the game. others no matter how long they shoot will never be AA or AAA shooters. That being said the teachers know if they teach 500 shooters a year the chances are very good that the number of shooters that will in the future be a competitor to them are very, very small if any.

11. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

There are no secrets. It's just shooting.

12. Trappy12

Trappy12 Active Member

It's not done out of the kindness of hearts, trapshooters are an arrogant bunch and think their way is the best! ;-) You will never find someone with exactly the same shooting style, the best advice I have been given was from my first instructor, "do as I say, not as I do." If you try and get a shooter to shoot like you, they will be a bad shooter because what you do works for you, not the other guy.
    The best advice I can give (in my infinite knowledge of course) is to "just stare at the flowers." Some people have thought I'd fallen asleep on the line because I am perfectly still, extremely calm breathing, and don't move an inch. It's all about concentrating on nothing, which you can't do all the same because then you'd be thinking too much.
    -Trappy

13. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

We try to help mostly because we're all (well, mostly all) really nice people. Just beware the "D" class 20 yard All American that's constantly offering unsolicited shooting advice........

John C. Saubak

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.