1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

*TRAPSHOOTING PROMOTIONAL PLAN*

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Barry C. Roach, Jan 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

This is an excerpt from another thread here on TS.Com. Please read with an open mind and help support this quest with your ideas and your good will. Thank you, Barry

Great conversation here. As Pheasantmaster (former KTA delegate) said, you have to promote the local media for local events. Some time back this year I decided to take it upon myself to develop, for the lack of better descriptions, a sales/marketing/media plan to be implemented for the spring of 2010. The problem of my doing this in the past has always been a lack of backing and thus my desire to implement the plan.

Recently I got a bit of encouragement from Illinois' fine ATA delegate, Jim Matteson. He said that he would discuss this with the ATA once I have put the plan on paper ready for presentation. I'll need help to put this plan on the ground and that will mean a budget for the campaign. I am not a wealthy man and live and shoot on a disability policy after a heart attack and 5 joint prosthesis, so I can't do it myself. As soon as I'm ready, which will be pretty soon. I'll give the plan to Jim and hope that he can get some traction for it amongst the BOD and EC.

It's a start and I hope you all will share your thoughts with me as I have pledged to myself that I'm going to write this campaign and do what I can, with my limited resources, to implement it in the greater St. Louis area. My mission statement is simple. To promote the sport of trapshooting, specifically ATA registered trapshooting, in a defined area with the intent to increase the member ranks and targets thrown.

I will also be contacting those shooting sports companies, that stand to benefit from this effort, for their support to the campaign.

If this works it will benefit trapshooting both locally and can be put into effect across North America. My background, as a former teacher and long time sales professional who loves a challenge, makes me want to do this. I don't want any money for myself, I want your support for the cause.

I want to borrow something from Mr. Neil Winston as I close for now......................................................................".Yours in Sport", Barry C. Roach

2. Barry C. Roach

3. Illini bird

Illini bird TS Member

As ebay opens ---Not you again Barry --- Make one move Barry..Talk the State of Illinois to put in a Gambling land based/ hotel at the Sparta . That will stop all problems there. Now your move. Larry

4. Barry C. Roach

Not a bad idea, Birdie. They could legally do just that with the Kaskaskia river right there. Maybe you could get that started on your own. I'll back your efforts but, for now I'm working on a more direct approach. Thanks for your help. Barry

5. Barry C. Roach

6. TNCoach

TNCoach Member

Barry,

It might fall in with your promotional plan, but can you market the local RV dealers to see if they would be willing to provide a fleet of RVs for the Grand at rates that are cost effective?

Have you heard of Bonnaroo? The local RV dealers get hundreds of RVs to be used at the event and charge a reasonable fee and secure a cleaning retainer.

I wouldn't want me or my RV at Bonnaroo, but the Grand is a special kind of place!

Your thoughts?

Thank you, TNCoach

7. Barry C. Roach

I will make it my business to find out about the rv rental situation in the Sparta area and report back. My friend uses one every year but he rents it from a private individual. With that huge construction site in the area these camping spaces may be your best bet.

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Barry, any idea what the numbers of new ATA members retained per year versus those that leave the sport after a few hundred targets happen to be? I think I read here some time back it was about six thousand per year that try trapshooting and promptly go elsewhere to spend their recreational dollars?

I'd think it would be key to know why we can't retain more of those that do give our sport a try also? Until we truthfully know and understand why we lose shooters at such a fast pace, building the numbers will continue to be a problem. The current members introduce friends, relatives and co-workers and the retention rate is dismal at best! We must find a way of introducing and keeping the working class of shooters to our sport again. Those are the shooters giving our sport a try today and promptly leave. They don't stay around the game long enough to get hooked and we must figure out why?

We should also know what the long range plan is for the assets currently held by ATA? Promoting the kind of shooting numbers you have in mind could/should be assisted by our organization in my view.

Trapshooting is an exciting game to those of us already involved but how do others perceive our game? There's some promoters out there that could promote watching grass grow and charge for it but we don't have many promoters of that caliber in our game and to the outsiders, it's on that same level.

Hap

9. Barry C. Roach

10. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Hap, I would like to know the answer to your question too. A few years ago a guy at the gun club told me the average "lifespan" for an ATA shooter was 6 years. I don't know where he got that figure but I can believe it. Think back to your local club 10 years to today. The hard core members are still there but a lot of faces have come and gone. And they all didn't die, they just left and went on to other things.

Paul, at one time the ATA did have business cards. They had a pitcure of a bunch of broken clays on the front. They were a fold up card, that you were to leave on bar/diner tables. Inside they explained the sport of trapshooting, and how much money we spend traveling and eating in pursuit of our sport. I left my last one in a bar in Linn Creek, MO.

The ATA did hire a sport marketing guy fresh out of college for a year or so. The only thing I remember was it wasn't too long after that we lost Budweiser as a sponsor.

11. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Yes, what was his name - Carson-something or something-Carson. He didn't last long but as I recall, left the ATA to become an executive with the Columbus, Ohio NHL team.

He and I had a heated telephone conversation followed by an equally-heated exchange on this forum. That prompted a very complimentary phone call from then-ATA president Tom Acklin, during which he referred to the ATA's marketing manager as "an idiot" numerous times. Of course, as I recall, Mr. Acklin went on to oppose an Ohio site for GA relocation...

Ed

12. paul e. stark

paul e. stark TS Member

I think the problem starts with the kids today. None of them want to go hunting or fishing. Ipods and video games! Hell most kids can't point north.

13. seaofgreen

seaofgreen Member

Barry,

Will you be sharing your plan with us, once its completed and submitted? I think it would be a wonderful resource for us smaller clubs us and hopefully build our membership numbers too!

I've always said why reinvent the wheel. So with that said, I hope you will share with us your marketing plan once completed.

Thanks
    Chad Gerloff

14. TNCoach

TNCoach Member

Barry,

Has anyone ever tried to schedule entertainment during the day at big shoots? I know there are usually activities during the evening, but what about small bluegrass shows. When we were waiting for the lightning to stop in Corinth, MS the band got out their instruments and played a while?

Has anyone thought about a gun show just away from the main shoot, but close enough to attract a crowd?

One of our best club shoots had a member appreciation lunch scheduled and flea market.

Just my 2 cents,
    TNCoach

fyi - i've had a couple of my threads deleted so make sure you write these down.

15. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Reading these posts I couldn't help seeing a few of you state that new shooters leave in a short time after they start shooting, and referring to ATA. Are these new shooters quitting the sport of trap, or are they just quitting on registered birds. I myself joined the ATA just after I started shooting trap in 1991 but left the organization. I still shoot trap occassionally and enjoy trap more than the other shooting disciplines. I just don't shoot ATA registered birds. So my question is are we really losing trap shooters or are we losing ATA trap shooters? Is the problem one of the sport, or one of the ATA? Bulge.

16. TNCoach

TNCoach Member

Bulge,

Easy answer: we're loosing shooters at our club.

We get a few to join, but it doesn't offset attrition.

TNCoach

17. Barry C. Roach

Boy lots of great ideas. It's good to know that there are positive thinkers with concern about our sport out there.

Of course I am going to share this with everyone, especially the local gun clubs. That's the whole idea. There is nothing secret on how to develop a comprehensive sales/marketing/promotional campaign. All I am doing is customizing it to fit the special needs of the trapshooting world. It's taking a lot of time.

I will tell you that I believe that the key to guiding new shooters and, just as importantly, recapturing folks who have tried trapshooting but didn't stick with it for one reason or another, is THE LOCAL GUN CLUBS.
    It's all developed there and there will be a PRIMER or a "how to book" available for gun club managers and members to work from.

Keep the good ideas coming folks. I need your help. Barry

18. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I can get some young people to love hunting. I can even get a few to join leagues for a few weeks. I can't get any to shoot competitions. For some reason they won't put their money down and compete. I think it is easier when you are older with some money to spend on yourself and the time and desire to compete. I think younger shooters also have a hard time when they are new getting beat shooting. When you get older your ego isn't as frail.

19. Barry C. Roach

Carson is a fine young man, with good ideas. His approach was sound but did not fit with the instant gratification expectations. He was doomed to fail without lot's of money to back him.

I'm a more "boots on the ground" kind of promoter. We have to build up the sport before it is attractive enough to market to the masses. I know we can do that.

20. Barry C. Roach

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

paul stark trapshooter