1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trapshooting Odds

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by K005, Jan 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. K005

K005 Member

[​IMG]

Are you feeling lucky? You can use this chart to calculate the probability of going straight. I would think that you would have to be averaging 91% or higher to make the odds pay. I think the copyright ran out on this a few years ago. This is part of a series of articles from American Shotgunner. If anyone is interested, I can try to upload the pdf copy. The article explains the risk - rewards of playing options and purses.

Bob K.

2. crusha

crusha TS Member

Blah blah blah.

"That chart was made back when we had REAL targets, by god!"

3. Brad Dysinger

Brad Dysinger Member

Trap shooting is a game of skill not chance. To be successful you only have to break one target at a time, no other human can make you pull the trigger, no target thrown is unbreakable, no one to blame if you miss but yourself, charts and graphs about odds are meaningless. Brad Dysinger

4. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

I think the gambling aspect of ATA shooting screws a lot of people up. Maybe before they even sign up for an event. All you hear is people moaning about how big the purses used to be 40 years ago. If that is all you are worried about, that is probably one thought too many interfering with breaking a good score.

5. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

I wish I'd have been around when you could win a new Cadillac with a 82.

6. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

1975?! That scale might be just a bit out of date....

Bryan

7. powertrader

powertrader TS Member

i'd say thats pretty cool. i'll bet a hundred i cant break more than you.

8. Kemper

Kemper Active Member

Brad stop telling the truth would you. Damn i miss you guys.

I'm coming to Ohio this year, I can't stand it anymore.

Barry Kemper

9. tanda1

tanda1 Active Member

It is an interpretation of the relationship between averages and probability. Not saying that it is accurate, but the date and the difficulty of the targets are inconsequential.

10. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Bet it don't work in Kentucky!

11. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

How do the odds presented by "holes in your pattern" figure into all this? Shot patterns are not perfect and are generally expressed as a percentage of pellets in a circle which - even if it has a high percentage, say 80 to 90% - there are still gaps present which allow targets to "escape". So, frequently, a chip or poor break indicates that trap success does have a certain element or amount of "luck" (along with some skill) to break a winning score. Lots of odds to cope with in betting your hard-earned rent or insulin money. "Playing" options is a poor option. Regards...and flame away. Ed

12. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Trapshooting is a game. Options have all the reward possibilities of roulette.

The old boys who toured the world setting up trap or live bird shoots could skin the locals but I can't think of one of them who retired on his winnings.

The day we took-up a collection for Arnold Riegger's headstone was the last day I played an option.

13. K005

K005 Member

No one said trapshooting was a game of chance. This graph is based on
    mathematics, Bernoulli’s theory. It is used when there are only two outcomes for
    an event in this case dead or lost. All it is telling you are the chances of
    breaking a certain score or better with a given average. If you have a 95 average you can be expected to break a 50 straight 1 in 13 events. If you have a 90 average you have a 1 in 200 chance. Nothing to do with chance, just probable outcomes. I wouldn’t say the chart is meaningless, it gives some indication of what to expect. Bob K. 5719005

14. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

No intent to start a controversy or challenge the premise of this thread...sorry if I caused any problem. I guess I'm the only dummy who sees trapshooting success as a game of chance. If any patterning is done - especially at handicap distances - there are always apparent holes in the pattern which tell me that even the best "centered" target can escape unbroken...some even if struck by a few pellets and do not break. Best Regards, Ed

15. 20yard

20yard TS Member

K005 did the article say Bernoulli's theory? I thought we used to call those Binomial graphs, basically long term probablity (here your average) and then probablity of certain outcome (25 or 50 straight). I would like to read the article if you can forward or post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

betting on trap shooting