1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Trapshooting newbie Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Husky44, May 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Husky44

Husky44 Active Member

At 53 years-old I shot my first round(s) of trap today! I didn't shoot as bad as I predicted, 22,23,23. Anyway there were a few tournament shooters watching and suggested I enter the local shoots and I have no idea where to start. I see the local shoots are either ata or pita? Do I need to join these prior to entering the tournaments?
    I really enjoyed shooting trap and would like to at least give tournament shooting a try. Thanks

Domenic

2. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Usually at our local shoots it is not ata, just little interclub leagues. Just show up at the start day and pay to shoot every week.

3. GW22

GW22 Active Member

That's a great maiden round. If it was your first attempt at any clays game, it was an astonishing maiden round. Either way, great job.

-Gary

4. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

Welcome to the sport and hope the bug bite heals!! It is a powerful virus that can get out of hand and will find yourself needing to get your fix.

Enoy and have fun!!

Jerry

5. Husky44

Husky44 Active Member

I’ve hunted for 45 years but never gone to a trap range. A couple of coworkers shoot trap and have sparked my interest in taking it up. I’ll shoot a few rounds a week to make sure today wasn’t a fluke.
    I was looking at my local clubs schedule of events (Coon Creek in Lincoln, Ca) and noticed all events are sponsored by ATA or PITA, hence the reason for the question. Thanks

Domenic

6. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Husky44 You can go signup at the shoot and have some fun . You will be classified as a new shooter ask to pay your dues ATA or Pita and shoot .

It,s no big deal very easy and cheap (to join) So jump in now .

Welcome

7. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Husky, I'm familiar with your area and many of the participants in the area. Just show up at any shoot, either PITA or ATA or a league if they have them available. You can join the associations at the time you arrive. Maybe try just a 16 yard event, 100 birds, for your first try and do a lot of watching and questioning when you're not actually on the line. Try to find a person to assist you in getting familiar with when your squad will be up, being on time and prepared for your participation. Soon enough you will want to enter the handicap and doubles events too. You may need a little time before shooting 300 birds a day or 500 or 600 a weekend at a 2 day event but you needn't sign up for all events your first time out. Remember to have fun and listen to any folks that have suggestions - there may be more advice than you want for a while.....breakemall.....Bob Dodd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.